Vista x64 installs incorrect drivers

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ja-45285-10
Upgrade to the UPD from earlier versions of the UPD by using the Add Printer Driver Wizard, New Driver option from the printer properties dialog box, or the Install.exe utility.
When upgrading to the UPD version 4.7, the default settings will be set to disabled if no additional action is taken. To maintain policy management during the UPD 4.7 upgrade, you will be required to use the Install.exe utility and one of the switches mentioned above. Using the use the Add printer Wizard will result in setting the UPD policy management to disabled.
Enabling or maintaining policy management through an upgrade is accomplished through the Install.exe utility and the appropriate switches. Use the install switches listed above to maintain the policy management settings.
Examples:

Upgrade only. To upgrade existing queues to UPD 4.7 only, and enable policy management, consider using the following command.
  • Install /ni /Policy"MPAservername" /tm
Or for no policy management
  • Install /ni /tm

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
Let me ask you this-
how did you install Vista, and updates?

This is how I install a new system:
Delete ALL partitions, Install O/S into unpartitioned space
After you have Installed O/S, (do not install any Drivers/software other than Antivirus*), go to Windows Update, and keep going back until it says "no more updates are available for your system"
be sure to set the Update to "Windows and other products"-this is critical

This will install SP2. then, and only then, install whatever Vista did not (like GPU/Sound)
note- Vista does install Generic graphic and sound, but they are subpar, and need to be re-installed- but last, very last.

Otherwise, If you do not do it this way, you may encounter driver/app errors. This will also install any drivers that may have been updated since the Vista DVD version was released (fixing many driver incompatability issues)

DO NOT make any changes to Vista. Leave all settings default. After you are setup with all drivers/apps then tweak.

*note-Use the default ethernet connection if possible (may require restart), and/or setup of Wireless/dialup service) to enable internet capability after AV install (if neccessary)
most wireless adapters/LAN connections are enabled by default after install, but may require access config (wireless)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
Vista was installed by the pc manufacturer. Upon receipt, I established an internet connection, installed anti-virus and ran all windows updates prior to installation of any applications or peripheral devices. The first devices I added were hardware additions. In this case, I started with a controller card to access my external storage device which initially caused problems, since vista installed the wrong driver, but is now operational as I've since corrected. This was followed by attempts at installing drivers for the display, color calibration device etc. which is where the problems started to occur. I have since stopped attempting installation of any further devices and have reverted to my backup system temporarily until I get the issue resolved. I'm trying to avoid a clean install, as I don't have the expertise to ensure the proper BIOS settings and drive configuration based on how the system was delivered.

My Computer

Vista was installed by the pc manufacturer. Upon receipt, I established an internet connection, installed anti-virus and ran all windows updates prior to installation of any applications or peripheral devices. The first devices I added were hardware additions. In this case, I started with a controller card to access my external storage device which initially caused problems, since vista installed the wrong driver, but is now operational as I've since corrected. This was followed by attempts at installing drivers for the display, color calibration device etc. which is where the problems started to occur. I have since stopped attempting installation of any further devices and have reverted to my backup system temporarily until I get the issue resolved. I'm trying to avoid a clean install, as I don't have the expertise to ensure the proper BIOS settings and drive configuration based on how the system was delivered.
you may have corruption of the driver cache. The changing of hardware can also cause issues after Vista is installed. You need to re-install. Anytime you change hardware on the motherboard (other than adding an HDD, RAM, or peripherals) you should re-install. let Vista install default config. Its easy and mostly automated.

Do not mess with the BIOS, Install may require the loading of any SATA/SCSI drivers though to complete install. If you have a recovery partition this may cause conflicts with the new hardware and drivers, and you may need to change the boot order so you can boot off disk.

Attach all internal hardware, Reinstall Vista-do not attach external hardware...yet
follow the instructions as given. This may resolve the issues at hand.

note-
I am assuming you have a legit Vista DVD, not a lite version, or a torrent version, or even a set of "recovery Disks". as these may include corruption, missing drivers, etc.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
Here is the issue with OEM Vista installs

They are simply Mirror images of a master installation, not a true Vista Install, changing hardware out, can cause driver/compatability issues.

That is why you need to re-install from a true Vista O/S DVD

[edit]

look at a mastered image like this:

If I were to Image my HDD Vista install, and then restore your system with it, Its not gonna work. The hardware is diferent, the drivers are wrong, etc. That is the issue you have now, i.e., hardware is now different, and no longer matches the original Installation image specs, or the limited driver cache currently on your system.

Now usually this can be resolved with installing the new hardware app/drivers, but in you case doesnt seem to work.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card