Vista x64 & Soundmax AD1988 No Audio!!!

nkirad

Hello Everyone,

After battling for almost a week i am here hoping for a solution.
My System

Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 (all latest update)
Mobo - Asus P5B-Dx
Speaker Setup :- 5.1
Front Audio Jack :- Yes
Graphics Card :- ATI HD4870

I am getting absolutely no sound from my pc, My audio device is listed as HDMI.
When i try installing the original Asus driver for Vista x64 Ultimate the setup halts saying "The audio driver files do not support your computer hardware"

I have tried realtk HD drivers too but no sound....this has been going up for about a week and now i am really fed up with this expensive piece of crap...

The onboard audio has a 5.1 speaker support, i even tried head phones in indivisual audio jak including the front panel jack but no sound.

Also i can see 2 High Defination Audio Controllers" in my device manager, one is marked with yellow, that means there's some problem. I checked its properties & it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

How come i have two audio controllers? where as mobo comes with single onboard audio chip?

Does anyone know what torture it is to play farcry, crysis, hl without sound?

Please advice / guide me,

Thanks & Regards,

Niranjan

My Computer

How come i have two audio controllers?
Because your HD 4870 has its own 7.1 HDMI audio,

ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series - Overview

HDMI - Enjoy the latest audio technologies using HDMI with 7.1 digital surround sound support. Also, xvYCC support allows the user to enjoy a wider range of color when connected to a capable HDTV.
As for the Code 10,

Code 10

If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Recommended resolutions

Here are some things that you can try to resolve this problem.

Update the driver

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

View the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Complete troubleshooting information is provided in the following article. Please see this article for help. For more information about Code 10-related errors , click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 943104 (Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates on Windows XP-based computers) Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates on Windows XP-based computers

The KB article refers to XP, but same principles apply to Vista.

I have tried realtk HD drivers too but no sound.

No surprise there, you have an ADI audio chip and not a Realtek chip, and the only place to get drivers for it is from the motherboard and/or computer manufacturer as ADI does not (and never has AFAIK) release drivers. If you can't find the driver for your specific motherboard have a look around on the manufacturer's website for a newer model board that uses the same ADI audio, good chance that will will find a newer driver listed for the newer board (Asus is known for doing this sort of thing).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    Athlon x2 7750 BE
    Motherboard
    Asus M4A78 Pro
    Memory
    2x2gb Kingston
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 4830
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer P221w and Acer 1916w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 and 1440x900
    Hard Drives
    2x80 GB Seagate 7200.10 in RAID0, 500 GB Seagate 7200.12
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    AC Freezer 64 Pro and a couple of 120 mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 v2
    Internet Speed
    10000/1000
Hi :)
Ok, I have already tried the latest drivers from ASUS for the P5B-Dx board. But stii i get "The audio driver files do not support your computer hardware" error.

Also Tried "In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver"

But vista tells me that the current drivers are the best possible drivers for the device.

Also tried Microsoft Knowledge Base but coudent figure it out.

What other options do i have? I am going to get a SPDIF cable and connect gaphic card and motherboard, is that possible? I am yet to learn how spdif works.

Also i will try drivers from other motherboards as mentioned...

Thanks

Niranjan

My Computer

Hello, :(

I have tried everything that is mentioned and nothing works.
Also have tried everything that is listed here No Audio Output Device - TechNet Forums

I am now feeling frustrated...any any help is highly appriciated..

I have mentioned that i have two high def audio controllers in device manager, is there any way i can identify which one is of HD4870 and which one is of motherboards?

Thanks

Niranjan

My Computer

Strangely i can hear the computer boot up beep from all the external speakers and the internal speaker too. But no sound in vista.
This is driving me CRAZY!!!!

I uninstaller the ATI HD4870 drivers the audio controller with yellow marker disappeared from device manager and device manager displayed only single hd audio controller but still no sound in vista.

I am open to any suggestion.....

Thanks

Niranjan

My Computer

Hey Niranjan

It would seem to me that having two sound devices is a nono, the easiest answer would be to swap the graphic card out for one without HD. This is probably also no answer for you, That would leave disabling the HD device in device manager and trying to get the onboard sound working, I dont know if this would work or not. The last option would be to disable the onboard sound by uninstall and switching it off in the Bios and using only the HD sound This option must certainly work. again I have to admit that I have never tried this.

I hope this helps

Pooch

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self build
    CPU
    Phenom II x4 Black Edition 940-Arctic-Cooling Freezer Xtreme
    Motherboard
    Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
    Memory
    8 gig Samsung PC800 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 9600gt
    Sound Card
    AD1988b
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" TFT-MONITOR WIDESCREEN mit VGA/DVI 17" Video7 TFT
    Screen Resolution
    1680 : 1050 1280 : 1024
    Hard Drives
    Drive #1 - SAMSUNG HD252HJ (250 GB)
    Drive #2 - Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 (1000 GB)
    Drive #3 - SAMSUNG HD250HJ (250 GB)
    Drive #4 - SAMSUNG HD103UJ (1000 GB) External eSATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Management 750W
    Case
    Enermax Chakra
    Cooling
    2x 120mm Front and Back 1x 250mm Side
    Keyboard
    Standard
    Mouse
    Easy Line Laser Mouse