Vista64 & color calibration

thestore

Hi everybody- newbie here, but seems good place to get info on my vista64 problem. Everything seems to work fine on my new Vista64 system, except for my old Blue Eye pro software and calibrator, which, according to LaCie, won't work in 64 bit. I am a photographer working with CS3, and need to be sure my monitor (LaCie 320) accurately displays colors, contrast, black/white points, etc. Some old info indicates that Blue Eye is a re brand of Eyeone, which does 64 bit environment(?). Can I buy different software only, or am I going to have to buy a compleely new calibration system. Or is this really necessary, since Vista does not use old ICC profile system? Haven't played around with Vista color management settings yet, but would appreciate input. Sorry if this is long and rambling.

My Computer

Re: Vista64 & cloor calibration

Long and rambling is good...trust me on that :)

I gave up trying to calibrate colour settings with the Samsung SyncMaster 206BW LCD monitor. Apparently I will have to deal with LCD intrinsic problems and I can;t seem to turn off teh SAMSUNG dynamic brightness settings it chooses to do.

I was browsing a PC magazine in a shop today that mentioned something about Vista colour calibration tools (or was it charts) being available on the Microsoft website and a utility to download to assist in tweaking colour settings on monitors and calibrating with scanners and photo editing software.

But I also remember reading that they recommend buy Vista compatable colour calibration tools...of which I'm not willing to go there just yet. I'm just a stingy bugga and not a pro photographer.

I would appreciate getting back to this thread should you manage to colour calibrate.

Nvidia and ATI apparently have additional utilities on their respective websites.

Meanwhile...I'm still trying to figure out how to calibrate my Canon mP970 multifunction printer. My scans appear too bright on my monitor

My Computer

I got email notices and copies of three posts to my problem, but only one appears here. Am I doing something wrong? Don't see way to show whole thread.:(

Okay, I guess this is the whole thread. What happened to the other responses? Anyway, thanks for your responses- Haven't done more on this, as am still trying to find my old email addresses in the old Eudora. For some reason, whole system seems to be deteriorating, not recognizing, certain drives, etc. My guru is coming to perform magic rituals to fix tomorrow.

My Computer

Okay, continuing the saga of trying to get my LaCie 320 monitor to calibrate properly in Vista 64. For other reasons, I have again upgraded the computer to a quad4 processor, 8 gigs of ram, and reinstalled all 64 bit programs, which were working okay, including calibration (which I will explain later). Previously, I had contacted LaCie, who said that the Blue Eye software would not work with 64 bit OS. Since I was running a parallel 32 bit vista system, they gave me a link to download the new version of Blue Eye, which would work with 32 bit OS. In reviewing the release notes, I found that they did support 64 bit OS, so tried it on the 64 bit system, and it worked fine. Now, with the new computer, I lost the link to the newer softwarte download, and after another go around with LaCie about not working with 64 bit OS, they gave mne a link for the newer softrware. I downladed it, installed it on new 64 bit OS. Note that there was now no reference to support for 64 bit Vista. During first run, it seemed okay until about halfway through, when it crashed the whole system, and I could not get out. Even on power down and reboot, it came up with a strange green screen and locked up. After my guru fixed that problem, computer does not see the ATI Radison X6500 graphics card, and cannot set resolution to 1600 X 1250, which I was previously running. MY guru cannot seem to fix this, and we are both pulling hair.

I then contacted Xrite, and downloaded their free calibration software. It is buried deep, but it is on their downlad page. The Blue Eye calibratior is the same as the Xrite (Gretqag Macbeth?). I was able to calibrate the 320 with this, although I don't like the way it works. This may be a sloution for others with this problem. I see a lot of talk about the resolution problem here, but not much as to solutions. Any comments, assitance, etc. would be appreciaqted. Ready to regress to 32 bit OS if this cannot be resolved in near future. Also ready for sorceror with proper incantations, animal offerings, or other solutions. Thanks all.

My Computer

Try uninstalling both the graphic card and drivers, then reinstalling them. Also make sure you have the latest 64bit drivers for your card.

I'm thinking of getting a LaCie 320 LCD Monitor as well and would be vary interested in seeing how you sort out your calibration issues.

As a side note, I'm also a photographer and can clearly understand why this important to you. For the time being I have a Dell P991 19 Inch CRT monitor and have to boot to winxp to use my now 4 year old Monaco Optix calibration hardware and software as Vista 64 doesn't support it. It works, but.... Thus my need to upgrade both monitor and calibrations hardware/software.

Good luck

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-PC8500 (2x2GHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 (1GHz)
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium - Fatality Pro Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w2207h (22" widescreen)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    One 750GB, 2x500GB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives (32meg)
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    "High" Speed DSL? Is that like low speed FIOS?
    Other Info
    Q6600 B3 Revision OC to 3.0GHz
Thanks for your reply- We have tried all you have suggested, but still having problems. Now computer doesn't seem to be seeing the graphics card, and I am getting a strange error message, which disappears with next input. I like the LaCie 320 monitor, but am frustrated with LaCie Technical Support and their web site. If I could sell this monitor, would consider Enzio or other larger screen monitor. I liked the Blue Eye Pro calibration software, but was forced to use the free Xrite software, which works with the Blue Eye calibrator, but I don't like how it works and with only minimal ability to verify the accuracy of the calibration when finished. I could do that with Blue Eye, and even test it later for monitor changes and need for recalibration. If delivery is feasible from Southern Oregon, would consider selling my 320. It is less than a year old. I am not a computer expert, and depend on my guru, who is quite experienced and knowledgable, but is at least temporily stumped also. Thanks again for your input.

My Computer

"computer does not see the ATI Radison X6500 graphics card, and cannot set resolution to 1600 X 1250,"

If this is the card you're talking about (Smart Computing Article - ATI Technologies RADEON 6500), which is actually a 7500, yeah...you're going to have problems!!! I'm surprised you got that thing to work at all under Vista 64.

If that's the card you have, I would highly suggest getting a newer one, especially for that monitor. From what I just read, that card is around 6 years old and only has 64MB RAM??? Most of the newer video cards today have 512MB of RAM.

If that's truely the card you have, then I'm about 99 percent sure that's what your problem is. If not, what card is it? Let's start from there.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Sorry about that- typo. Berlarc Advisor says I have Radison X1650 Series display adapter, and same numbers for Secondary display adapter. I know we have checked for newer drivers and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Tried to print some pics yesterday after calibrating monitor with Xrite software, but could not match up prints with monitor, as could do previously. Also have some other sytem errors popping up, all minor but annoying. Tempted to go back to 32 bit Vista. Thanks again for your help.

My Computer

Do this, go into device manager and click on your video card and uninstall the card along with the drivers (check the box that says "Delete the driver software for this device"). Don't reboot yet, go into control panel "Programs and Features" and click on "ATI Catalyst Install Manager" and uninstall all the ATI software. Reboot. Let the system find the video card, cancel the install driver boxes, reboot and install the drivers. As a side note, ATI just released new video card drivers today.

What kind of "sytem errors" are poping up?

Also, since you have 8gig of memory, be aware that going back to a 32bit OS will cost you about 4 and a half gig of memory since 32bit OS' are limited to 4gig of memory max. In other words, even though you physically have 8gig installed, a 32bit OS will only see 4gig! Just a thought.

If you're going to move back to Vista 32bit an option would be to sell 4gig of the memory and put it towards a new video card. Those X1650's tend to be problematic. I know, I had one.

A word of caution, when going to a 64bit OS a little bit of research goes a long way, especially with regards to spending money on software/hardware.

It would help to list your system specs.

PS. It's not a "Radison" it's a ATI Radeon.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Sorry about typos- age (72) and decreasing eyesight to blame.

Okay, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers as instructed. Did not work quite as you describe, as Windows automatically reinstalled drivers. I also installed the new driver. Will any of this make a difference if computer is not seeing or communicating with computer, as my Guro states?

System error is 'JavaScript Application':

"TypeError: Components, Classes [cid] is undefined"

Thought I gave you system specs earlier, but here they are again:

Processor: 2.3 Gig AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core- bus Clock 200MH
Mother board: ECSS A780GM-A 1.0
Ram: 4 2048 MB DIMM
Drives:
C- NTSF 78.64 gig (soon to be increased in size)- system drive
E- NTSF 80.02 GB- scratch disk (Photoshop)
F- NTSF 320.07 GB- Data drive
Various other drives, DVD, CFD card, external 500 gig LaCie archival storage
Vista Home Premium (x64) SP 1 (build 6001)
Bios- American Megatrends Inc. 080014 05/20/2008
Radeon X1650 Series display and secondary diaplay adapters

Lots more on the Belarc report- do you need more?

Thanks again- have not had any other responses to my request. Hopefully, this es typo free, but no guarantees.

My Computer

First off congrats, we all hope to make it to your age. I'll be 50 in 3 months. :) I understand about the typos.

Now, can I assume you got the video card drivers installed? If so, is your LCD working correctly?

As for the javaScript error, that's usually associated with internet explorer, so you have something else going there; and that can be any number of things so...

As for this:
Will any of this make a difference if computer is not seeing or communicating with computer
- I'm not sure what you mean???

PS, yeah, you did mention your system specs in your second post, but the way you listed them this time is better.

One other question: Are you overclocking your system? That might also account for some of your errors.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
I also assume new driver(s) reinstalled properly.

I am getting acceptable image on monitor, but still cannot get 1600 X 1250 resolution, as I could before. Will only go to 1400.

Will play aroundwith Java program, and maybe reload, if I can find it.

I am only going on what my Guru said- computer not seeing/communicating with graphics card. Therefor, I assume the problem is outside card, and any of these changes just won't be seen (?). But what do I know?

I don't think we are over clocking, but maybe. Belarc says "Bus Clock: 300 megahertz" I assume that is the clock speed, but have no idea if this is overclocked or not. Is there a more definitive way to check this? My Guru being a rather conservative type, probably would not approve of overclocking cpu. By the way, he is an engineer, who has been doing this for many years, I have a lot of confidence in him. He has solved many praoblems for me which others could not solve. I don't mean to be throwing him up to you contrary to your appreciated assistance, but thought you might like to know that he is more than qualified in this area. He is somewhat frustrated with Vista64 also, even though he has installed quitea few64 bit systems.

BTW, sent you previous reply, which apparently did not go through. If it shows up, you will get a duplicate of my prfevious post.

Also BTW, tried to print some pics yesterday. Even though monitor supposedly calibrated, could not get a good print, or come close to monitor image. Will check out printer and try gain.

My Computer

I am only going on what my Guru said- computer not seeing/communicating with graphics card. Therefor, I assume the problem is outside card, and any of these changes just won't be seen (?). But what do I know?

I'm still unclear as to what you're saying here, but if you're getting a picture on your monitor, then the computer is communicating with your video card and monitor.

As to your resoultion problem, if you have the Catalyst software installed, look at your icon tray (near the clock) and you should have an ATI icon. Right click on it, roll you mouse pointer to your card and, then roll the mouse pointer to "Set desktop area to". There you can set your monitor to a resolution of your liking, but you'll also get an idea of the resolutions supported by the video card.

So now the question is: Is the resolution you're trying to obtain supported by the video card? If no, then your monitor won't go there, and you may have to get a newer video card.

ATI's website (Radeon™ X1650 PRO - Specifications) doesn't mention the resolutions for the 1650, and I don't remember what they are since I'm not using mine anymore.

There is one more thing you can try though:
1- Right Click on your desktop
2- Choose "Personalize
3- Choose "Display Settings"
4- Go to "Advance Settings..."
5- Click the "Monitor" tab and,
6- un-check the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"

Doing this may allow you to choose the resolution you're looking for. Be aware however that this can cause an "out of range" problem for the monitor, but you'll know it immediately because your monitor will not display a video. Don't panic if this happens though, just restart the computer and you should get a default resolution and a picture. You should have a video when the computer restarts, and you may need to reset to your previous resolution.

As for your "Guru" you may want him to look at your computer to determine what's causing your javascript errors as it would be hard for me to diagnose from here.

And I take no offense about you mentioning your guru, the more people helping you, the better.

As to you calibration issues, that's a lot of ink, trial and error, and understanding your printer. If you've never done it before, it's a pain, if you have, you know what i'm talking about.

Good luck

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
This may be a new graphics card, which may not support the 1600 resolution, but it was working at that resolution until the old Blue Eye calibration software crashed the computer. All problems happened after that. I have tried to reset the resolution in both the 'personalization' section of Control Panel, as well as on the card. I will try unchecking the hide modes thingand check the resolution supported by the card.
Thanksagain.

I am familiarwith calibration parameters, but suspect there is a problem with new software, or at least myunderstandingof it. Getting closer with pics I printedtoday, but still problem.

My Computer

At this point I'm at a loss. If things went crazy after your Blue Eye fiasco, I suggest doing a restore point before you installed the Blue Eye software; if that's possible.

Otherwise a...OS reinstall??? Unless you're happy at where you're at at this point in time.

Good luck

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
My Guru is here right now, and we are doing a complete reload
and are build of the OS. I will be back to you when I get everything reloaded.

My Computer

Back