Warning - Lloyds[?] goes phishing!!?

sassofalco

What bad, bad,habit?
Vista Guru
Lloyds (?!!) Phishing Threat!:mad:

Just a general warning about a new email phishing threat from a group seeking personal banking information, and supposedly originating from Lloyds Banking Group!!

I have received not one, but two such offending emails in the past couple of hours [1000hrs GMT - 10Nov08], both of which were presented in bright red by my Email Account provider, resulting in their immediate elimination, before either had a chance to open.

Bastards!!!........so it's new hay for the Sepoy's beds tonight, and double rations for dinner...two slices of toast with dripping!:sick:

Again today - 11/11/2008......Screen snip of Detail;

View attachment 7844

So.....what the hell else is there to do BUT DELETE?? :mad: :mad:

Sorry folks; To read full text, use on-screen zoom to increase to 150%

Edition #3 - 13/11/2008.

Add....'Halifax Plc' Banking/Building Society [UK], to the scam list. Junk mail today.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire Notebook 5633WLMi.[5630 Series]
    CPU
    Intel Centrino Duo Processor - Intel Core 2 CPU.
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 [3.07GB maximum real available]
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce Go 7300, 128MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio, Ver. 6.0.1.5717, 2.08MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer Aspire Notebook - 15.4"; Acer LCD Monitor X223Wsd - 22".
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60Hertz [max.]
    Hard Drives
    Notebook - Samsung HM320JI 320GB HD installed 07 August 2009.
    External HDs [4];Maxtor One Touch4 - 500GB External HD [Drive M:\].Western Digital WDXMS1200TA - 120GB External HD [Drive G:\ - Windows Defender Backup Files only]. Two x LaCie 320GB Mobi
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless V320 for Notebooks - Model M/N: M-RCD125
    Internet Speed
    Down 20000kb/sec / Up 1000kb/sec [Bigpond-Aus]
    Other Info
    Brother MFC-465CN; PC to Fax/Scan/Copy/Photo MFC. Epson Perfection V300 Photo Scanner. Siemens Speedstream 6520 Router. Wacom 'Bamboo Fun' CTE-650 PC Tablet, Stylus and Mouse. UAC - On;Activated. Browsers; [1] FireFox v3.6[2] IE8. Honorary R.S.M. to the 4th [Assault Pioneer] Troop Pune Sepoys , and 3rd Troop Jodhpur Bengali Lancers.
Ive had several asking for account information perporting to be from the banks themselves. Even ones from banks I dont have accounts with! In short banks will never request personal information in this way. Unless youve dealt with a representative over the phone then just bin it.

The best way to definitely tell if they are fake is to hover your mouse over the links in the email and see what url is shown in the status bar at the bottom. If its something like an ip or not the actual domain then you know its fake.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel E8400 3GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DX48BT2
    Memory
    Kingston PC3-10666 4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX 9800 GTX XXX
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Samsung SM-T220HD 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 on two monitors
    Hard Drives
    WD Raptor X/150Gb in RAID0
    WD Raptor 36gb
    3x Samsung F1 1Tb
    PSU
    Thermaltake ToughPower 850w
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120
    Keyboard
    Dell Multimedia Enhanced USB
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    8128/832
    Other Info
    Thermaltake Muse esata caddy
I get them on a regular basis and just delete them before they even get into my machine, I have Mailwasher so can see what emails are on the servers before downloading them. ;)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-bq0xx
    CPU
    AMD A9 Stoney Ridge Technology
    Motherboard
    HP 8312 (Socket FP4)
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown (?-0-0-0)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz) 512MB ATI AMD Radeon R5
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Aud
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor on AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    119GB SanDisk SD8SN8U-128G-1006 (SSD)
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    62.86Mbps down 18.19Mbps up
    Other Info
    EPSON78D0CF (XP-332 335 Series) (Default Printer)
No bank will *ever* request any information from you by email (with the possible exception of some stupid polls about customer service, and I'd never respond to such things either, legit or not). There is no disaster so huge that they would need to get your bankaccount or password for anything.

I don't volunteer any info about my accounts to anyone. Not on the phone, not in person, certainly not by email. If they change something concerning my account, I'll get a regular snailmail about it, which I can take to the bank and ask about if there's some action to take. The *only* information my bank ever need is some kind of ID. Everything else is in their system, securely backed up in a fairly safe system that has cost billions to develop.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 6000+
    Motherboard
    ASRock ALiveXfire-eSATA2
    Memory
    2x2GiB DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeCube ATI Radeon HD3870 512MiB GDDR4
    Sound Card
    Built in HD Audio, digital output
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206BW, SyncMaster 940B
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WDC 250GB SATA + lots of externals. :)
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (1st edition w blue lightning)
    Mouse
    Logitech G9
    Internet Speed
    DL/UL: 50/10Mbit
Yeah i aint had 1 yet but i have seen them..... you should really forward them on to Lloyds though rather than just deleting them as it helps their fraud team get 1 step closer to catching the culprits

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me :P
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard
    Abit IN9 32X MAX
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 (650MHz/2100MHz
    Sound Card
    Realtek 7.1 CH HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Fujitsu siemens TFT + 32" LG HD LCD TV
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 + 1360x768
    Hard Drives
    150GB Raptor HDD
    500GB Caviar HDD
    PSU
    Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Stock + Antec 900 case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (full layout)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
I get them on a regular basis and just delete them before they even get into my machine, I have Mailwasher so can see what emails are on the servers before downloading them. ;)

Lovely Joan....but I would much prefer to get my hands on a Femailwasher;)....would certainly make a change to those layabout Sepoys!!

The best way to definitely tell if they are fake is to hover your mouse over the links in the email and see what url is shown in the status bar at the bottom. If its something like an ip or not the actual domain then you know its fake.

Thanks Swarfega....[so named after filthy, grimey, scuzzy and greasy hands??....or clean, as a result of using the product??], but I'm usually too keen and concentrating on eliminating the bloody things from my Junk Mail Folder, to bother with even exploring alternative processes of elimination or sources of origin. I am of the understanding that "Open Mail" is to be avoided at all costs......hence my haste 'to kill'.

But you hover mouse over which link?

Yeah i aint had 1 yet but i have seen them..... you should really forward them on to Lloyds though rather than just deleting them as it helps their fraud team get 1 step closer to catching the culprits

G'day ripbox....if you've read so far, you'll get my drift in dealing with these damned nuisances. My phishing filters are very, very good and without fail so far, have consigned any I have received, straight to my Junk Mail Folder, awaiting elimination. I generally don't bother with floundering around trying to find re-directing email addresses.....I just want them out.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60Hertz [max.]
    Hard Drives
    External HDs [4];Maxtor One Touch4 - 500GB External HD [Drive M:\].Western Digital WDXMS1200TA - 120GB External HD [Drive G:\ - Windows Defender Backup Files only]. Two x LaCie 320GB Mobi
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Brother MFC-465CN; PC to Fax/Scan/Copy/Photo MFC. Epson Perfection V300 Photo Scanner. Siemens Speedstream 6520 Router. Wacom 'Bamboo Fun' CTE-650 PC Tablet, Stylus and Mouse. UAC - On;Activated. Browsers; [1] FireFox v3.6[2] IE8. Honorary R.S.M. to the 4th [Assault Pioneer] Troop Pune Sepoys , and 3rd Troop Jodhpur Bengali Lancers.
Lloyds (?!!) Phishing Threat!:mad:

Just a general warning about a new email phishing threat from a group seeking personal banking information, and supposedly originating from Lloyds Banking Group!!

I have received not one, but two such offending emails in the past couple of hours [1000hrs GMT - 10Nov08], both of which were presented in bright red by my Email Account provider, resulting in their immediate elimination, before either had a chance to open.

Thanks for the heads up, old Cobber. Good post. Must be someone out there who might be saved by this.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
Lloyds TSB acknowledged scam on 10Nov08...>Google web - lloyds tsb ...warning at bottom of page.

Incidentally, Microsoft today issued a Security/Scam warning to US and other users about a similar scam that has emerged USA domestically, as a result of recent US Bank mergers in the current financial storm.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60Hertz [max.]
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
If you would like to report these scam emails then here is the relevant info you need to know

Lloyds TSB - Fraud alerts

Fraud Alerts

privacy_guard_02.jpg

Let us help you

Find out how to Protect yourself online.

Visit our security learning centre giving you tips and advice on frauds and scams to avoid them.

Read through our security glossary and get clued up.

Contact us to Report a suspected online fraud.

We’re aware of a number of fraudulent emails that are currently in circulation claiming to be from us. These emails use our Lloyds TSB images and can look very realistic.
They try to encourage you to input your Internet banking log on details in order to ‘reactivate’ Internet banking access that has been ‘temporarily limited’ following an upgrade to our servers. Several other fraudulent emails ask you to "authenticate your default IP address".
These emails are not genuine.
To help protect yourself from these fraudulent emails, you should:

• check for your name at the top of the email – we know your name, but fraudsters are unlikely to address you personally,
  • never respond to these emails,
  • never provide any Internet banking or telephone banking log on details, or any credit card details,
  • install and keep up-to-date, anti-virus software,
  • install personal firewall software.
If you receive an email that appears to be from us and suspect it may be fraudulent, do not click on any link contained within the email or provide any Internet banking or telephone banking log on details. Please forward a copy to [email protected]
This information will be used to help reduce online fraud.
If you think that a fraudster already has your Internet banking details, or that someone other than you has accessed your account online, call us immediately on 0845 3000 116 (+44 20 7649 9437 from overseas).
Mon-Fri 7am-10pm and Sat/Sun 8am-6pm.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me :P
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard
    Abit IN9 32X MAX
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 (650MHz/2100MHz
    Sound Card
    Realtek 7.1 CH HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Fujitsu siemens TFT + 32" LG HD LCD TV
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 + 1360x768
    Hard Drives
    150GB Raptor HDD
    500GB Caviar HDD
    PSU