What kind of difference using Power Hub will make?

Ari94

Hi,

Today I bought USB Power Hub run by Electric but I am thinking what difference will it make?
Actually I got Four external drives, the latest one is 2TB and I thought I must connect them via Power USB Hub.
Can anyone tell me what is the advantage of using USB Power Hub?

Thank you.

My Computer

Hello Ari94,

When using non-powered USB hubs, the power is drawn from the USB controller (either the mainboard or the addon card). The amount of power that can be drawn from the controller is rather limited. This is enough to feed small devices like cardreaders, mouse, cooling pad, etc. But not for the devices that need more power (like USB powered scanners).

Non powered USB hubs are nice for mobile use (less cables) or when you just need a few small devices on the USB bus, but they have a downside. Although modern software detects when you are "overloading" your USB bus, some hardware can't take it and becomes unstable. Although this isn't common, it's wise to use powered USB hubs whenever you can.

For more details, see Advantages of Using a Powered USB Hub.

My Computer

Hello Ari94,

When using non-powered USB hubs, the power is drawn from the USB controller (either the mainboard or the addon card). The amount of power that can be drawn from the controller is rather limited. This is enough to feed small devices like cardreaders, mouse, cooling pad, etc. But not for the devices that need more power (like USB powered scanners).

Non powered USB hubs are nice for mobile use (less cables) or when you just need a few small devices on the USB bus, but they have a downside. Although modern software detects when you are "overloading" your USB bus, some hardware can't take it and becomes unstable. Although this isn't common, it's wise to use powered USB hubs whenever you can.

For more details, see Advantages of Using a Powered USB Hub.
------------------

Hi Allan,

Thank you very much for the reply and details. It is very informative and helpful.
The link you provided was also very helpful.

My Computer

Basically with the power your system will be able to treat it as a USB 2.0 device which is significantly faster than USB 1.1. This is because USB 2.0 devices take more power.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Basically with the power your system will be able to treat it as a USB 2.0 device which is significantly faster than USB 1.1. This is because USB 2.0 devices take more power.
-------------------

Hi, thank you for reply and the information you have provided.
As I got external drives USB 1 and USB 2, if I will use Power Hub the system will treat it as USB 2?
Here in Japan now a days USB 3 is popular.

My Computer

Hello Ari94,

If the external device is an USB 1 device and you connect to a USB 2 port, the data transfer rate would be as per the USB 1 that is,
1.5 Mb/s (Low-Bandwidth) and 12 Mb/s (Full-Bandwidth)[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]USB 3.0 is popular because of it's data transfer rate (speed). That is 5GB/s. Recently USB 3.1 was also introduced and has the data transfer rate of 10GB/s. [/FONT]

My Computer

-------------------

Hi, thank you for reply and the information you have provided.
As I got external drives USB 1 and USB 2, if I will use Power Hub the system will treat it as USB 2?
Here in Japan now a days USB 3 is popular.

If you power the hub and the device (provided that the device has a power supply) and you plug the hub into into a USB 2.0 port then you'll get USB 2.0 speeds. As for USB 3.0 you have to have a 3.0 port on your system and a 3.0 device to take advantage of it. I'm not sure if a hub has to be 3.0 but I bet that it does. As for the speeds quoted by Allan that is the max speed which more than likely won't be obtained.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Hello Ari94,

If the external device is an USB 1 device and you connect to a USB 2 port, the data transfer rate would be as per the USB 1 that is,
1.5 Mb/s (Low-Bandwidth) and 12 Mb/s (Full-Bandwidth).

USB 3.0 is popular because of it's data transfer rate (speed). That is 5GB/s. Recently USB 3.1 was also introduced and has the data transfer rate of 10GB/s.
-------------
Hi Allan,

Thank you for the details you have provided.
It helped me a lot to know the difference.

My Computer

If you power the hub and the device (provided that the device has a power supply) and you plug the hub into into a USB 2.0 port then you'll get USB 2.0 speeds. As for USB 3.0 you have to have a 3.0 port on your system and a 3.0 device to take advantage of it. I'm not sure if a hub has to be 3.0 but I bet that it does. As for the speeds quoted by Allan that is the max speed which more than likely won't be obtained.
-------------------

Hi,

Thank you for the details you have provided it was very helpful informative and I learned somethings.

My Computer

Back