Solved What version of Vista is it?

kpraytor

Good morning! Long time reader, first time poster.

My friend has asked me to reinstall a copy of Vista to his laptop because he says his was riddled with viruses. It turns out, his hard drive had actually crashed. He went and purchased a new hard drive, but how do I determine which version of Vista he had?

There is a product key on the bottom of the laptop with a Product Key, but the version of Vista has been rubbed off. I know I can only use that key with the correct version of Vista, any way to determine this?

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite. I don't remember the Model number; I'm at work right now, so I can't get it either.

Any and all help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Furthermore, if this thread is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it.

Thanks! :geek::D

My Computer

Welcome
If you are using the restoration DVD that came with the computer, it will load without asking.
You will be rolled back to exactly the way it was when you bought the computer.
If you have a regular install DVD, I would call the computer manufacturer and they can tell you, either from their documents or from the key number.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thanks for that information! Unfortunately, they did not have a repair or recovery disc, so that was not an option.

Does anyone know of any other way to determine which version besides calling the manufacturer? Cause we all know how much fun that is :cry::sleepy:

My Computer

Sytem is dead, label is unreadable - next best is an educated guess: I would say it is Home Premium. 90% of the OEM systems were delivered with that.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
Ok, that sounds like a good place to start. I know it is either Home Premium or Home Basic.

If I use the wrong one, will I not just receive "Invalid Product Key", then I will know to use the other one?

My Computer

Ok, that sounds like a good place to start. I know it is either Home Premium or Home Basic.

If I use the wrong one, will I not just receive "Invalid Product Key", then I will know to use the other one?
Yeah, right.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives