Whats the Best Antivirus/ Security Suite??

Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials (even tho it's free).
Norton 360 v4 and Norton Internet Security 2010 failed to detect any virus at all.
Avast managed to find viruses whenever I download a file.

I would go for Avast.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Nirv Pro SLI (shipped to NZ)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X (Six-Core) 3.33GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5 - SLI, Crossfire, SATA 6Gbps & USB 3.0
    Memory
    12GB G.Skill Ripjaws High Performance Low-Latency DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 3GB GGDR5
    Sound Card
    N/A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Samsung XL2370 Monitor and 23" Benq V2410 Monitor (extended monitor)
    Screen Resolution
    1,920 x 1,080 (on both monitors)
    Hard Drives
    2TB Western Digital Caviar SATA (7200rpm)
    600GB VelociRaptor SATA (10000rpm)
    PSU
    Silverstone Strider Plus Modular 750-Watt SLI
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian 800D System Chassis
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19 Gaming USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Razer Mamba Gaming Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Max - 1.8MB/Sec (DSL) provided by Telecom NZ
    Other Info
    iPhone 4 Black 16GB, iPad 32GB WiFi+3G, iPod Touch 2nd generation
I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for primary AV/AM protection. It integrates well with Vista, doesn't use a lot of resources running - except when actually scanning or updating and even then it uses less than many other such programs, updates automatically using Windows update (so it's pretty much kept current within a matter of days at most), and catches and removes most attempted malware attacks (not all - none do that - but more than most others). It is also well supported if you have problems of any sort. i also run Prevx 3.0 in scan mode to supplement MSE - this has occasionally come in handy and identified potentially dangerous websites before I inadvertently accessed them. Every few weeks or every month or so, I do a full scan with Malwarebytes to catch anythiing the others missed. All of these products are free (some offer versions that cost money, but they are not necessary - the free ones are perfectly fine). With these three products, I can say (knock on wood) that I've never had a serious infection on my system that wasn't either caught before it could install or even try to install or removed easily once detected if it got past the first line of defense.

Let me add that I STRONGLY recommend against any of the Norton products and also discourage using McAfee as well. They do not do as good a job as many others, cost too much (there's no need to pay for this type of product when there are many very good free options available), create problems with Vista and with other programs (conflicts, freezes, access issues - especially to e-mails and also to other files as well - program problems - especially System Restore, and more,...), and do not catch as much malware as many of the other options on the market - even and maybe especially some of the good free ones. The only commercial product I've ever found to be worth paying for (not that it's any better than what I suggested, but it is good enough to spend money getting if you prefer a commercial product to a free product on principle) is Pandasoft. Before MSE was released, that's what I used and have nothing bad to say about it though I now know better than to pay for something equally good or better that can be obtained for free.

I would also like to add to be VERY careful when choosing a product you don't know about. There are many security programs out there that are actually malware in disguise and not only do they not work, but they actually infect your system and can sometimes be extremely difficult to eradicate. I've seen many people caught by these scams and the repairs have often been complicated and time-consuming (and sometimes data has been lost, system files corrupted or replaced, program files corrupted or replaced, and I've seen cases where the only option was a full format clean re-installation of everything). So be very careful and check out anything you intend to try (do Bing and Google searches on the name and if you see links for malware removal procedures or the slightest indication it might be malware, stay away from it - there are too many good and free options to risk one that may cause you a lot of grief). A prime example of such malware is called AV Security Suite (do not go anywhere near this one - don't even check out the web page out of curiosity) and it is pure poison to your system - I see this one a lot because the website for it is well done and it seems to be supported by the search engines so it shows up much too high on searches for such products.

I hope this helps. It's just my personal opinion from experience and researching the alternatives. Other suggestions in this thread are also perfectly fine (I have no issues with Avast and would use that if not for MSE). There are also some suggestions i do not agree with, but everyone is entitled to have an opinion and that's the point of this thread. In the end, it's best to read up on the various alternatives (as you just did by reviewing this thread) and then research them yourself. None are perfect. You will likely be infected with something (hopefully not a virus or worm but a simple tracking cookie or the like) but hopefully it will be caught especially if you use a combination of programs (but note that you should never install two AV programs at the same time as that can cause conflicts, freezes, crashes and other problems) as long as you've confirmed the programs can be run or installed at the same time (as with the recommendation I made at the very beginning).

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for primary AV/AM protection. It integrates well with Vista, doesn't use a lot of resources running - except when actually scanning or updating and even then it uses less than many other such programs, updates automatically using Windows update (so it's pretty much kept current within a matter of days at most), and catches and removes most attempted malware attacks (not all - none do that - but more than most others). It is also well supported if you have problems of any sort. i also run Prevx 3.0 in scan mode to supplement MSE - this has occasionally come in handy and identified potentially dangerous websites before I inadvertently accessed them. Every few weeks or every month or so, I do a full scan with Malwarebytes to catch anythiing the others missed. All of these products are free (some offer versions that cost money, but they are not necessary - the free ones are perfectly fine). With these three products, I can say (knock on wood) that I've never had a serious infection on my system that wasn't either caught before it could install or even try to install or removed easily once detected if it got past the first line of defense.

Let me add that I STRONGLY recommend against any of the Norton products and also discourage using McAfee as well. They do not do as good a job as many others, cost too much (there's no need to pay for this type of product when there are many very good free options available), create problems with Vista and with other programs (conflicts, freezes, access issues - especially to e-mails and also to other files as well - program problems - especially System Restore, and more,...), and do not catch as much malware as many of the other options on the market - even and maybe especially some of the good free ones. The only commercial product I've ever found to be worth paying for (not that it's any better than what I suggested, but it is good enough to spend money getting if you prefer a commercial product to a free product on principle) is Pandasoft. Before MSE was released, that's what I used and have nothing bad to say about it though I now know better than to pay for something equally good or better that can be obtained for free.

I would also like to add to be VERY careful when choosing a product you don't know about. There are many security programs out there that are actually malware in disguise and not only do they not work, but they actually infect your system and can sometimes be extremely difficult to eradicate. I've seen many people caught by these scams and the repairs have often been complicated and time-consuming (and sometimes data has been lost, system files corrupted or replaced, program files corrupted or replaced, and I've seen cases where the only option was a full format clean re-installation of everything). So be very careful and check out anything you intend to try (do Bing and Google searches on the name and if you see links for malware removal procedures or the slightest indication it might be malware, stay away from it - there are too many good and free options to risk one that may cause you a lot of grief). A prime example of such malware is called AV Security Suite (do not go anywhere near this one - don't even check out the web page out of curiosity) and it is pure poison to your system - I see this one a lot because the website for it is well done and it seems to be supported by the search engines so it shows up much too high on searches for such products.

I hope this helps. It's just my personal opinion from experience and researching the alternatives. Other suggestions in this thread are also perfectly fine (I have no issues with Avast and would use that if not for MSE). There are also some suggestions i do not agree with, but everyone is entitled to have an opinion and that's the point of this thread. In the end, it's best to read up on the various alternatives (as you just did by reviewing this thread) and then research them yourself. None are perfect. You will likely be infected with something (hopefully not a virus or worm but a simple tracking cookie or the like) but hopefully it will be caught especially if you use a combination of programs (but note that you should never install two AV programs at the same time as that can cause conflicts, freezes, crashes and other problems) as long as you've confirmed the programs can be run or installed at the same time (as with the recommendation I made at the very beginning).

Good luck!

Wow, what a long message. I use McAfee on one of my computers and it was pretty rubbish and hogged my CPU, but the new update that they have released is much better. It is much more CPU friendly and the interface is better to use and apparantly there is a new detection engine in it :) But I also have to agree that MSE is also very good.

Just another thing, in your signature you mention about rep being the only way that they can thank us. Well personally I (and hopefully others) think that we should be rewarded by the feeling of having been able to help somebody. We shouldn't all want rep, we should want to be able to think that you have thanked somebody out of the kindness of your heart that you will probably never meet.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
Hummmmm, what to do...?????:confused:

Think I read all the posts.....Seems no one mentioned the paid home version of webroot with spysweeper.....I was given a year subscribtion as a gift, alas, I have about 3 weeks left.....

Soooo..... I read that the M.S.E. is fine with a free Malewarebytes app......
It seems to me that the "free' versions of antispyware are only good for 90 days or so....I'm I right on this fuzzy recollection??

comodo was mentioned, any thoughts??, and as far as norton goes, I concure...Not for me.....

free advast seems to come out the winner here, if my fast mental tabulation was correct...

Again, does anybody have anything thought's, experiences with webroot?....

Thanks in advance for any re-hashing and opinions..

Alex and Trigger...:)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    H.P. Pavilion/ dv6985se notebook/ P/N FE11UA#ABA
    CPU
    Intel 2 Duo T5750
    Motherboard
    Quanta ver. 79.2E
    Memory
    4 GB/2 slots DMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile / Intel 965 express chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def. Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    laptop
    Screen Resolution
    15.4" vis
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK2552GSX (250.06 GB)
    PSU
    Internal factory w/ outboard Transformer
    Case
    Factory burgandy
    Cooling
    1 input, 1 output
    Keyboard
    Standard small w/o # pads
    Mouse
    F.O. single rotary
    Internet Speed
    Normal fiber.
    Other Info
    Keyboard standard 101/102
    Main circuit Quanta 30CC 79.2E
    Bios H.P. F.59
    Router, Netgear WGR614v8
    Cannon MP250 wired printer
    Modem Motorola SM 56
    Realtek High Def. Audio
It's almost like the perfect combination. I've been running this setup now for over a year and no problems.

Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Free Version

PC will thank you for not hogging it's resources for just AV. Go encode video now. :D

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    AMD/GIGABYTE
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
    Memory
    2048MB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SyncMaster T220/T220G,SyncMaster Magic T220/T220G(Digital)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 by 1050 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST310003 40AS SCSI Disk Device
    Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAJS-00YFA SCSI Disk Device
    PSU
    Thermaltake 500W
    Internet Speed
    VERY FAST>>>>!!!!
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7191S SCSI CdRom Device
Hummmmm, what to do...?????:confused:

Think I read all the posts.....Seems no one mentioned the paid home version of webroot with spysweeper.....I was given a year subscribtion as a gift, alas, I have about 3 weeks left.....

Soooo..... I read that the M.S.E. is fine with a free Malewarebytes app......
It seems to me that the "free' versions of antispyware are only good for 90 days or so....I'm I right on this fuzzy recollection??

comodo was mentioned, any thoughts??, and as far as norton goes, I concure...Not for me.....

free advast seems to come out the winner here, if my fast mental tabulation was correct...

Again, does anybody have anything thought's, experiences with webroot?....

Thanks in advance for any re-hashing and opinions..

Alex and Trigger...:)

It's almost like the perfect combination. I've been running this setup now for over a year and no problems.

PC will thank you for not hogging it's resources for just AV. Go encode video now. :D

Yup, your following the trend, that is good......

I have been nosing around the net...and alote of these so called independent/consumer "Protectors", seem to hawk norton...:confused:...Wonder why that is.....
eldinv, really appriciate your response, next???:party:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel 2 Duo T5750
    Motherboard
    Quanta ver. 79.2E
    Memory
    4 GB/2 slots DMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def. Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    laptop
    Screen Resolution
    15.4" vis
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Factory burgandy
    Cooling
    1 input, 1 output
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    F.O. single rotary
    Internet Speed
    Normal fiber.
    Other Info
    Bios H.P. F.59
    Router, Netgear WGR614v8
    Modem Motorola SM 56
    Realtek High Def. Audio
I have had to download Microsoft Security Essentials and do a full scan. Found 4 problems when Avast found none. I also have Spybot running in the background. Long Live Microsoft.:)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet

Tha' perfect combination, I like those words.....I'm 'gunna' do it !! Run the two and drop the webroot...:).. your right, I only got 1.7 Mb of RAM left out of 4., like ya' said why hog it?..

I have had to download Microsoft Security Essentials and do a full scan. Found 4 problems when Avast found none. I also have Spybot running in the background. Long Live Microsoft.:)

Yea' long live Microsoft....:)....and Malwarebytes.....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel 2 Duo T5750
    Motherboard
    Quanta ver. 79.2E
    Memory
    4 GB/2 slots DMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def. Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    laptop
    Screen Resolution
    15.4" vis
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Factory burgandy
    Cooling
    1 input, 1 output
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    F.O. single rotary
    Internet Speed
    Normal fiber.
    Other Info
    Bios H.P. F.59
    Router, Netgear WGR614v8
    Modem Motorola SM 56
    Realtek High Def. Audio
Liking comodo's v5 security suite, although it doesn't have ipv6 protection atm. Hopefully, they should add it in the next version.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    §ĮŁΣNŦ Д$$Д$$ĮN
    CPU
    Xeon X3360
    Motherboard
    P5W64 WS Pro
    Memory
    Corsair XMS2 8gb @ 5-4-4-12 833mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Geforce GTX470 SC+
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatlity Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T200
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD 1TB RE3
    PSU
    Thermaltake Toughower 750w
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Silver
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS10x Extreme
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa Mirror
    Mouse
    Razer Deathadder 3500dpi
    Internet Speed
    24Mb/s
    Other Info
    My massive wifi antenna is in the post!
Heres a bump.....And report....I deleted all paid "stuff" took the forum old timers advice,,,

Just been using free mailwarebytes and MSE....Thats it, nuff said...works great ,without the wild hogs digging into my machine....

If this works for Mr. Rookie, Me, well,,,,,,,:D

heres a quote like so many....

Stop paying for anti-virus software - Kingsport Times-News Online

"Microsoft Security Essentials was released one year ago and if you're among those who continue to make annual payments for commercial antivirus software, it's time to put that money in your pocket, delete whatever you're using, and install MSE.
Over the past 12 months, this free software has proven itself as effective as anything you would pay for and now is also available at no charge to small businesses."

There, again....:)

Alex and Trigger

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel 2 Duo T5750
    Motherboard
    Quanta ver. 79.2E
    Memory
    4 GB/2 slots DMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def. Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    laptop
    Screen Resolution
    15.4" vis
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Factory burgandy
    Cooling
    1 input, 1 output
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    F.O. single rotary
    Internet Speed
    Normal fiber.
    Other Info
    Bios H.P. F.59
    Router, Netgear WGR614v8
    Modem Motorola SM 56
    Realtek High Def. Audio
am so sure of Microsoft security essentials.its very good and trusted.you can get it from Microsoft download center.but your vista must have a good license key

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    intel
    CPU
    1.6ghz
    Motherboard
    intel
    Memory
    2gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    onboard
It is an excellent piece of software :) Are you saying that you don't have a good license key?

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
I've been trialing ms' security essentials+the windows firewall.

I'm using uac as well so im thinking ill stick with this setup for a bit.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    §ĮŁΣNŦ Д$$Д$$ĮN
    CPU
    Xeon X3360
    Motherboard
    P5W64 WS Pro
    Memory
    Corsair XMS2 8gb @ 5-4-4-12 833mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Geforce GTX470 SC+
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatlity Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T200
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD 1TB RE3
    PSU
    Thermaltake Toughower 750w
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Silver
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS10x Extreme
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa Mirror
    Mouse
    Razer Deathadder 3500dpi
    Internet Speed
    24Mb/s
    Other Info
    My massive wifi antenna is in the post!
I am using Avira free. Its working good! very good i can say :P

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Packard Bell iMedia X1500
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA nForce 630i
    Memory
    4,5 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    9300 GE
    Sound Card
    7.1 channel surround High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Packard Bell Viseo 222WS - LCD-scherm - TFT actieve matrix 21.6
How do you guys like Microsoft Security Essentials?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines ET 1161-05
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0 GHz AM2 Dual Core
    Memory
    3gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Galaxy GeForce GT 430 - 1gb DDR3 - 128bit Memory Interface
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 23" LED, 1920 x 1080 resolution
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    160gb Seagate
    PSU
    Cool Master Extreme Power Plus - 500watts
    Case
    APEVIA X-Trooper Case w/ Side Window-Blue
    Cooling
    4, 120mm fans. 1, 200mm fan. Sunbeamtech Rheobus-Extreme
    Keyboard
    Logitech k800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    150mbps
    Other Info
    Linksys WUSB100
    Insignia 2:1 Sound system.
My desktop with the Intel Q6700 CPU runs MS Security Essentials without even breathing hard. My laptop, on the other hand, with the AMD TL-50, runs AVG. I also run Malware Bytes Anti-Malware and Crapcleaner on both computers. I am presently testing Advanced System Care on the desktop, and might replace Crapcleaner.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Milwaukee PC Impact series-custom
    CPU
    Intel Q6700
    Motherboard
    Intel DG31PR
    Memory
    4GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8500GT 512MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    2X500 GB Western Digital internal SATA II drives
    2X1TB Western Digital USB 2.0 external drives
    Keyboard
    Logitech EX110
    Mouse
    Cordless optical mouse came with keyboard
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Other Info
    Using personal computers since 1989. First was Commodore PC10-III w/ 40 megabyte HD (partitioned into 2X20), 5.25 & 3.5 HD floppy drives, Hercules video card, math co-processor, 640K of RAM, 8088 CPU. 12-inch green display monitor. OS MS-Dos 3. Principle software was GeoWorks with GUI and Microsoft mouse.
I like McAfee Total Protection. Chose this instead of Microsoft Essentials as we use it at work and our IT guys highly recommended it. We have XP Professional at work. The 24/7 on-line help desk for McAfee is fantastic! Not sure if that is important to you.

I too run Malwarebytes on both computers. Rather be safe than sorry.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia
So far, for the longest time, I have been using MSE, and also have MBAM. Haven't had any problems at all. Browsing habits come first when keeping your pc clean though. I know some things can't be helped, but being careful where you d/l stuff from, and what you do online and in your email will always help.

No AV is perfect, some things can slip by all of them at some point, but your own habits can help limit that.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built( I will never "buy" a PC)
    CPU
    AMD Phenom2 XII 560
    Motherboard
    Biostar A780L3L
    Memory
    4GB DDR3-1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    xfx 9800 GT
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB
    Cooling
    2 front, 2 back,one side
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless LX310
    Internet Speed
    18/2 cable
    Other Info
    Opera/Chrome / EPSON Stylus nx420 / Microsoft Security Essentials / CCleaner / Malwarebytes / OpenDNS / Paint.NET / 7-Zip / Windows Live Mail Client
Hello Cory

I have been using Kaspersky sinse 2008 and I do love it, not changing unless something real bad happens. Now it does have a security issue with just about any other AV but over time I find it the best for me. I have XP, Vista, and W7 and all 3 run Kaspersky we need the best because our XP is used in my wifes where she deals with medical reports etc, she has never had a virus or any kind malware. Sometimes your computer is a little slower but thats because the AV is doing it's thing before a problem hits your system.

So don't give up just yet try it a little longer and I think when you see what it really does for your computer you will keep it.

americancritic

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    8 Gigs of Ram/DDR2 PC2-6400 MB/sec
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Sound Card
    Intergrated Realtex ALC888S Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    1 640 GB Sata transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec speed: 7200 RPM
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Other Info
    Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8450 Operating speed: Up to 2.1 GHz, Number of cores: 3, Socket: AM2+, Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3 (clocked down to 2000 MHz)

Modem: 56K WinModem/

Supermulti: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X Ram (+/-)R DL Lightscribe SATA Drive

Menory Card Reader: 15-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader

Media Drive
I was running AVG Internet Security and had 10 months left but switched to MSE, based upon the information I obtained from the forum.
It is faster and not the load that AVG has. No problem so far and I backed it up with MalwareBytes, Secunia and WiPatrol. I am using the windows firewall and it seems to be doing the job. The AVG has a two way and it seems you have to set rules anytime a new program or application is D/L but all in all I will stay with MSE for now, "it's free".

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    H P Pavilion s3120n
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20GHz
    Motherboard
    M2Nc51-AR
    Memory
    Ram 2.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphis
    Sound Card
    Realtex
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VX2035WM
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050 pixels
    Hard Drives
    320GB 7200RPM Serial ATA
    PSU
    AC Bel Model#PC6012
    Cooling
    fan
    Keyboard
    PS2
    Mouse
    PS2
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1 up
    Other Info
    Computer has had the motherboard, power pak and tv tuner replaced. Using HP Deskjet F440 Printer, and IE9.
Back