Solved When I click on 'send & receive' on Windows Mail I get blank error message.

Kodika

I recently visited the Microsoft Answer Forums as I could no longer access my favorites from Internet Explorer 8 (although they were still showing in My Favorites folder in my user account folder.) They diagnosed the problem as a corrupted user account and fixed it by directing me to the Microsoft link 'How to fix a corrupted user profile.' I created a new user account and copied the files over to the new account. This did fix the problem and I can now access all my favorites again in IE8.

However. I am now no longer able to send or receive messages in Windows Mail. When I click on 'Send & Receive' I get the box which says 'Some errors occured while processing the requested tasks. Please review the list of errors below for more details.' However, the box below which is supposed to list the errors is completely blank. I have contacted my internet service provider (Virgin Media), who have carried out various diagnostic tests. They have told me that it is not a problem with their security, and they have checked my account settings to ensure everything is correct. They seem to think it might be a problem with my Registry. They have sent me several test messages (which arrive in my Virgin Media web mail box) but for some reasons are not getting downloaded to my Windows Mail. On a couple of occasions the test messages did get through (but only after I closed down Windows mail and then opened it again.) However, the Windows Mail stopped working again.

On just one occasion, I DID get details of an error, which was 'ERR Protocol error. Port 110 Secure (SSL): 0X800CC90. error number 0x800ccc18.' However, that was the only time. At all other times the error box is completely blank.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me fix this problem, as I have very limited IT knowledge.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP G60-217EM Notebook PC (NP622EA)
    CPU
    AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-72.210 2-10GHz
    Memory
    2048MB (2x1024 MB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDA GeForce 8200M
re: When I click on 'send & receive' on Windows Mail I get blank error message.

I recently visited the Microsoft Answer Forums as I could no longer access my favorites from Internet Explorer 8 (although they were still showing in My Favorites folder in my user account folder.) They diagnosed the problem as a corrupted user account and fixed it by directing me to the Microsoft link 'How to fix a corrupted user profile.' I created a new user account and copied the files over to the new account. This did fix the problem and I can now access all my favorites again in IE8.

However. I am now no longer able to send or receive messages in Windows Mail. When I click on 'Send & Receive' I get the box which says 'Some errors occured while processing the requested tasks. Please review the list of errors below for more details.' However, the box below which is supposed to list the errors is completely blank. I have contacted my internet service provider (Virgin Media), who have carried out various diagnostic tests. They have told me that it is not a problem with their security, and they have checked my account settings to ensure everything is correct. They seem to think it might be a problem with my Registry. They have sent me several test messages (which arrive in my Virgin Media web mail box) but for some reasons are not getting downloaded to my Windows Mail. On a couple of occasions the test messages did get through (but only after I closed down Windows mail and then opened it again.) However, the Windows Mail stopped working again.

On just one occasion, I DID get details of an error, which was 'ERR Protocol error. Port 110 Secure (SSL): 0X800CC90. error number 0x800ccc18.' However, that was the only time. At all other times the error box is completely blank.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me fix this problem, as I have very limited IT knowledge.

0X800CC90. error number 0x800ccc18 indicates authentication issue.
Try this ....
Open WM > Tools > Accounts > your Virgin Media acct > Properties > Servers tab > under Incoming Mail Server heading, make sure there is NO checkmark on " Logon using Secured Password Authentication " > OK

My Computer

System One

• Other Info
    WLM 2011
    IE9 beta

Thanks djch 129, but I have already tried that and unfortunately it does not resolve the problem.

Regards

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2048MB (2x1024 MB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDA GeForce 8200M

Thanks djch 129, but I have already tried that and unfortunately it does not resolve the problem.

Regards

Why not Remove the account > re-configure the same account with the same settings.
Reason : you account could be corrupted.

You won't lose anything when you remove the account. Everything is still in Windows Mail.

My Computer

System One

• Other Info
    WLM 2011
    IE9 beta

Virgin Media have already tried removing the account and then creating it again, but the error is still there.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2048MB (2x1024 MB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDA GeForce 8200M

Virgin Media have already tried removing the account and then creating it again, but the error is still there.

I am going to throw a " first-aid kit " at you .....:o

1. Run a full virus scan with your AV, anti-virus program. See if it finds anything.

2. Do a system file check.... sfc /scannow
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html
( scroll past all chitchats. Tutorial is after those.)

3. Do a disk check ..... chkdsk /f/r
Start button > search box, type cmd > look up, right click on cmd.exe > Run As Administrator >
in the black and white window, at the flasing prompt, type chkdsk /f/r > press Enter key.
Note : there is a space between " chkdsk " and " / "
The screen will say something like can't do it now but do you want to run it on restart. Click " y " as in yes > press Enter > Exit cmd window.

Restart your computer. It will take quite some time. DO NOT shut down the machine. Just wait.

Note :
Upon finishing one of the above suggestions, check your WM. If no go, go to the next one, and so on.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Other Info
    WLM 2011
    IE9 beta

Thanks again for your input djch 129. As I mentioned in my original thread, my internet service provider (Virgin Media) ran their diagnostic tool on my anti-virius and firewall (which is their own product 'Virgin Media Security') and it found no problems. So step one has already been covered.

Suggestions 2 & 3 sound a bit too technical for me, but I will give them a try and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Kodika

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2048MB (2x1024 MB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDA GeForce 8200M

Thanks again for your input djch 129. As I mentioned in my original thread, my internet service provider (Virgin Media) ran their diagnostic tool on my anti-virius and firewall (which is their own product 'Virgin Media Security') and it found no problems. So step one has already been covered.

Suggestions 2 & 3 sound a bit too technical for me, but I will give them a try and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Kodika

Don't take their ( Virgin Media ) words for it.
Do your own virus scan.
#2 and #3 are not that technical.
Here is my version of doing sfc /scannow, if you have problem with the tutorial.
Start button > search box type cmd > look up, RIGHT click on cmd.exe > click Run As Administrator > in that black and white cmd window, type at the flashing prompt sfc /scannow > press ENTER key.
Note : there is a Space between "sfc" and "/".
Sit back and wait. It will take some time.
When done, exit cmd window.
Reboot ( re-start your computer )

** Suggestion : if you have a printer, print out the tutorials so you can follow the steps by steps easier.

My Computer

System One

• Other Info
    WLM 2011
    IE9 beta

Thanks for the extra instructions djch129. I will give them a go. It may be a few days before I report back, as I am busy with other (non pc) matters.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2048MB (2x1024 MB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDA GeForce 8200M

To djch129

As promised, I can now report back after carrying out the instructions in your "first-aid kit". I ran both the system file check and the disk check.

After running the system file check I got the message " Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log Windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log For example. C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log". (I was unable to access the logs.)

I then carried out the disk check. I got the message "The type of the file system is NFTS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" I selected "Y" and restarted the computer to run the check. As you warned me it took a very long time. I was not at my computer when the process finished, so I did not see any kind of report as the pc took me to the log in screen in the normal way.

Why was I unable to access the system file check logs? Does the fact that I did not get any report of corrupt files in the disk test mean that it was clear? Is the purpose of these two tests to actually fix the problem with my Windows Mail, or do they only identify what is causing the problem?

I then tested my Windows Mail, but the "Send & Receive button" is still not working properly. I should explain that before running the two scans I had noticed some improvement in Windows Mail in that it is is now allowing me to send and receive messages. (This is still the case after running the scans). If there are messages on my Virgin Mail server, they are accessed automatically when I open Windows Mail. However, if Windows Mail is already open on my computer and a new message is sent to me and I click "Send & Receive," I still get the blank error message. The only way I can access the message is to close Windows Mail and re-open it again, when the new message is downloaded automatically.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2048MB (2x1024 MB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDA GeForce 8200M

For attention of djch129

I have not heard from you since my last post, but I am glad to report that I have managed to fix my problem with 'Send & Receive' in Windows Mail. For your information this is the utility which did the trick WMUtil.

Thanks again for all the help you have given me in trying to find an answer to my fault.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    2048MB (2x1024 MB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDA GeForce 8200M
Back