When shut down Vista, must disconnect the power supply and reconnect before booting

thira

Thanks for the interest and help.
I have a dual boot system (Vista Enterprise and XP). I have built the computer myself and newly installed both OS. The computer works perfectly with XP. When I boot into Vista, everything works fine. Then when I shut down, I cannot boot the computer unless I disconnect the power supply and then reconnect the power supply. Then everything operates normally. If I boot into XP, then shut down, this does not happen...I can turn on the system and boot into either OS. All updates for both OS are current (SP1 for Vista and SP3 for XP). The system was a clean install. XP was installed first, then Vista. XP was installed directly to a SATA hard drive. Vista was installed to a separate RAID 1 SATA Hard Drive.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

My Computer

Re: When shut down Vista, must disconnect the power supply and reconnect before booti

What do you mean when you say you cannot boot the computer? Does it boot up at all or fail during boot up?

This might be really wrong but I'm not sure how a dual-boot works exactly. However, you're using two hard-drives, is there a default hard-drive that you're computer boots up under? I know on my notebook, un-plugging the power supply and taking out the battery pack and putting it back in and re-connecting power supply power-cycles and restores default boot settings. I had issues booting up on my desktop too, I tried this and this helped.

I would be using one hard-drive for both operating systems and another hard-drive for the documents, photos, programs, videos etc

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite A215-S7428
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 1.8GHz
    Memory
    3GB DDR2 RAM (1X1GB DDR2 RAM & 1X2GB DDR2 RAM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1200 Mobile Graphics 128MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4" Diagnol Widescreen Tru-Brite TFT LCD Display
    Screen Resolution
    1280X800
    Hard Drives
    160GB (5400RPM)
    Internet Speed
    56K (Dial-up) : 10/100 ETHERNET : Wi-Fi (Realtek 802.11b/g
    Other Info
    It originally came with 2X1GB DDR2 RAM and I swapped out one of the 1GB DDR2 RAM cards for a 2GB DDR2 RAM card.
Re: When shut down Vista, must disconnect the power supply and reconnect before booti

Thanks for the interest and help.
I have a dual boot system (Vista Enterprise and XP). I have built the computer myself and newly installed both OS. The computer works perfectly with XP. When I boot into Vista, everything works fine. Then when I shut down, I cannot boot the computer unless I disconnect the power supply and then reconnect the power supply. Then everything operates normally. If I boot into XP, then shut down, this does not happen...I can turn on the system and boot into either OS. All updates for both OS are current (SP1 for Vista and SP3 for XP). The system was a clean install. XP was installed first, then Vista. XP was installed directly to a SATA hard drive. Vista was installed to a separate RAID 1 SATA Hard Drive.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

The symptoms you describe would seem to indicate a bad power supply. If possible, try using a different Power Supply Unit in your computer.

Also, try entering the system BIOS and resetting the power management settings to defaults.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    Memory
    2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAHARA 21"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 80GB Seagate (I)
    2 x 120GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 200GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 250GB Seagate (I/S)
    PSU
    800W
    Case
    Thermaltake Tai-Chi
    Cooling
    Tai-Chi Water Cooler
    Keyboard
    Genius
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    384kbps
    Other Info
    Currently dual booting between Vista x64 Ultimate Windows 7 BETA x64

You know...I've actually heard this one before, and it wasn't a faulty PSU since the system works fine until it's shutdown or using the XP Os instead. I believe it was XP the other user was using when this happened tho and it was a couple years back but reading this reminded me of it. I can't recall the fix tho, or even if they ever found it but I'll try searching tomorrow and see if I can find it on one of my other forums.\

Very weird issue indeed and I get the feeling this is being caused by an improper dual booting setup possibly corrupting the BIOS when the system changes and the unplug basically resets the BIOS defaults.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader

The sequence of installation of the OS, XP first and then Vista, means that whichever system you chose to boot into is on the "C" drive. For example if I decide to boot into XP, XP is on the "C" drive and Vista is the "D" drive. Vice versa if I choose to boot into Vista, Vista is the "C" drive and XP is the "D" drive. Don't ask me how I simply googled how to install a dual boot system and this is how it was said it was going to be.
The only thing I did differently was that I slipstreamed the SP1 into Vista prior to installation. I added SP3 after installation onto XP.

What I mean that I cannot boot the system is that if I shut down the computer in Vista, the OS shuts down as expected and the computer powers down. When I turn at a later time power up the system, the computer turns on but is in a similar state to hibernation. No beep, no going through the screens showing the hard drives, etc. when the system normally starts.

Conversely when I boot into XP, then shut down the system powers down. But I can power it up later and boot into either Vista or XP.

My Computer

I'm afraid we need more details on how exactly you set up this dual boot system...
When you install more than one flavor of Windows it always writes certain files to the root directory of C:\ no matter what so it should be able to boot no matter what OS you are in at shutdown...
If however you disconnected the XP drive to install Vista then this did not happen and would explain the issue.
The only other way you would have this issue is if there is a faulty connection with the Vista drive...either power or the SATA connection itself.
Double-check all connections and post back with more details on how you set this up and we'll go from there.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K MBoard.
    Memory
    4G OCZ PC2 8500 Platinum
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 8800GTS Vid Card
    Hard Drives
    500G Seagate SATA
    200G Seagate SATA
    100G WD Caviar SATA
    80G WD Caviar IDE
    PSU
    OCZ Elite 800W PSU
    Case
    RaidMax Smilodon Case
    Other Info
    Lite-On dual layer DVD burner X 2
    Dos 6.2;Win2K;XP; &
    Vista Ultimate 64Bit.

I followed the following on a blank unformatted hard drive.

How To Dual Boot Windows XP And Vista - Make Tech Easier

My system:
XP (SP3)
VISTA (SP1)
MB: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus II Formula
Processor: 2.50 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9300
Memory: 4 GB
Drives: 640 GB SATA partitioned into 50 GB (XP installed here) & 590 GB (uses for backup);
300 GB RAID 1 (Vista installed here)
1 TB external (backup)
Optical Drives: LG Bluray HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L
Plextor PX-760A

Thanks.
When powering down and turningoff the computer and then at a later time booting, it almost seems when powering down from VIsta the computer will start in "hibernate" mode.
Thanks

My Computer

Back