Which IE to use for Vista?

M

mdiemer

Hi, I am running Vista 32 with SP2. Which version of Internet Explorer should I be using? I currently am using 9. I've heard that 10 has problems, and 11 is not for Vista. So am I all set with 9? I did some updates recently and the latetst version of 9 was installed. Does that mean 9 is the best for Vista?

My Computer

IE 9 is the most current version of IE suitable for Vista. You should use 9 for the most current security.
The word best is very subjective. There are, also other browsers that you may like, Chrome, Fire Fox, etc.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thanks Rich. I thought IE 9 was the most current, otherwise I assume that Update would install IE 10. I like it better than firefox. the last time I tried it, it installed bloatware, even tho I thought I had unchecked the right boxes. I like IE because it doesn't try to sell you anything, it's designed for windows, and actually works quite well. I have IE 11 on my new computer, which has Windows seven and it's fantastic. But IE 9 is working fine on this one.

IE 9 is the most current version of IE suitable for Vista. You should use 9 for the most current security.
The word best is very subjective. There are, also other browsers that you may like, Chrome, Fire Fox, etc.

My Computer

I have Windows 7 and always use the most up to date IE, which is currently 11. Even if there are some features in the most current browser that you do not like, it is best to use the most up to date due to security concerns. The E World is becoming more and more dangerous and you have to do everything that you can to protect yourself..

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I would have to agree with all of the above. Unless you have some compelling reason to do otherwise always use the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for your OS. This will provide the best security and compatibility with websites. With an older OS like Vista your options will be limited but you want to keep up to date as much as possible. Also understand that IE is not just a browser but is essentially a part of the OS.

My Computer

Thank you LMiller. There was a time when IE did not work as well for me as Firefox. I tried Opera once, but it did not work well, and I had a nasty time getting rid of it. MS has finally got their "browser" right. Now, if they can just get the next version of Windows right!

My Computer

Back