will people be as sad when microsoft takes vista off life support

poorguy

hey all now that xp is off life support from microsoft i am just wondering if people will have the same lost feeling when vista is taken off life support. i myself have always liked vista and have had very few problems with it, i also still am using it on 1 laptop and desktop. i guess the main reason that i have always liked vista is the fact that most people i know hate it so much. it does everything that i need to do and runs my flight simulator x well. my pc needs are small i web search and do some gaming. yep just curious on what others might think. thanks for the space. poorguy

My Computer

Vista will be missed only by a few. Vista users were not happy with Vista, many complaints. Finally MS came out with Seven and even offered a big discount if you bought 7. It appeared to me at the time, the offer was a way to make up for Vista. I took the offer and prefer Seven.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
i too am sad that windows xp is gone as this was what i cut my teeth on. lots of hardware is still in use and the cost for change doesn't always come at an affordable rate. alot of businesses are still using xp. windows vista was released way too early and hardware companies just failed to provide the drivers that were needed at the time and with the fact that alot of people just don't like change. for myself vista worked and i didn't have many problems with vista. yes it does require a desktop or laptop which can run it and it didn't really provide anything new that most people already had or could do with xp. windows 7 is way better than vista but without vista windows 7 wouldn't be what it is. poorguy

My Computer

I will miss Vista as I have no problems with it.
Think I will switch to Linux Mint when Vista is finished. Still not made that choice.
I won't switch to 8 or 8.1 and didn't like seven as much as Vista so switched back to Vista after giving seven a try.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
Think I will switch to Linux Mint when Vista is finished. Still not made that choice.
I won't switch to 8 or 8.1 and didn't like seven as much as Vista so switched back to Vista after giving seven a try.
at least you gave windows 7 a try. alot have dogged vista from the arm chair. i have tryed ubuntu but just was not able to get it to work for me. i to have windows 8.0 and i just don't like it myself. i hope microsoft goes back to a more normal friendly version on what ever the design after windows 8.0/8,1 . poorguy

My Computer

Being a "Born Again" Vista disciple, I will definitely miss it in three years, and am already investigating how to keep it going. Never used XP, except at work. started on 95/98, then Vista, then 7. Tried Vista again recently just for fun. Maybe it's a retro thing, but I love it. also tried Ubuntu, couldn't download anything, had to give up. But I agree that relatively few will miss it, because so many have bought into the myth of its inferiority.

My Computer

The only big problem I have had with Vista was that I couldn't get it to use an internal wireless nic and had to get an external one. Otherwise no issues. I do overall like it more than 7 but MS did make some improvements with 7. My Dad had major issues with his last laptop and he blamed Vista when it was really the hardware. After that he switched to mac. He refused to even try 7.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
The only big problem I have had with Vista was that I couldn't get it to use an internal wireless nic and had to get an external one. Otherwise no issues. I do overall like it more than 7 but MS did make some improvements with 7. My Dad had major issues with his last laptop and he blamed Vista when it was really the hardware. After that he switched to mac. He refused to even try 7.
yeah seems as though that was one of the minor issues that i had when i first got vista was connection problems and seems that i had to buy a different lan card which was an easy fix. yes w7 does have some improvements in some areas and it does seem to use less resources. i like both though.

My Computer

i may check into Linux Mint. i just wonder about getting drivers though, that was an issue i had with ubuntu never could find drivers

My Computer

I have Mint on a usb stick and find things just work, well so far they have anyway. Just playing with it at this stage.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
thank you i will have to go there and see what i can do with it. thanks for the info. this might be an alternative choice after vista and w7. back on topic i bought a retail copy of vista business 32bit at a yard sale that was unopened for $10.00 just could't believe it. i am sure i will find a place to use it.

My Computer

I prefer Vista over Win 7. I don't know why we couldn't keep using Vista just because they stop the security updates. If the hackers think that nobody uses Vista, why would they mess with it?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I prefer Vista over Win 7. I don't know why we couldn't keep using Vista just because they stop the security updates. If the hackers think that nobody uses Vista, why would they mess with it?
Good point
I may keep it but not use it on line as it does all I need

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
yeah seems as though that was one of the minor issues that i had when i first got vista was connection problems and seems that i had to buy a different lan card which was an easy fix. yes w7 does have some improvements in some areas and it does seem to use less resources. i like both though.

A friend told me that Vista hates internal wireless nics. At the time I had an XP dual boot and the card did work on XP so I called the manufacturer and they weren't able to figure it out either. At my friend's suggestion I got an external one and it worked. Granted it was a different brand so I'm still not terribly convinced that the issue was with Vista. As for 7 there are some nuances about it that I don't like but I can live with it. I use it everyday at work. 8 on the other hand has an interface that I know that I'll never been able to get used to unless I am using a tablet PC so if that is the future of windows I am done with it. What's ironic is that when 7 was coming out I wasn't planning on buying it however I couldn't pass up the pre-order sale. I was happy with Vista so I was going to skip 7.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
A friend told me that Vista hates internal wireless nics. At the time I had an XP dual boot and the card did work on XP so I called the manufacturer and they weren't able to figure it out either. At my friend's suggestion I got an external one and it worked. Granted it was a different brand so I'm still not terribly convinced that the issue was with Vista. As for 7 there are some nuances about it that I don't like but I can live with it. I use it everyday at work. 8 on the other hand has an interface that I know that I'll never been able to get used to unless I am using a tablet PC so if that is the future of windows I am done with it. What's ironic is that when 7 was coming out I wasn't planning on buying it however I couldn't pass up the pre-order sale. I was happy with Vista so I was going to skip 7.
i think every operating system has issues with certain hardware because hardware manufactures either don't write new software or they just can't get the driver software to preform the way it should. i had to buy a different lan card when i got vista but it worked.

My Computer

I hear ya with regards to Winblows 7, tried it switched back to Vista, as for Winblows NotSogr8 and .1 I have heard more complaints about that than I ever have with Vista.

I cut my teeth on good old 3.1 on a 386, then jumped to Win98SE, on a massive 10GB hard drive with a whole 64mb of ram lol, skipped XP went straight into Win2k, in my humble opinion the best OS!!, then to Vista, where I think I will probably remain.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x 4 965
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 TI
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Phillips 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    1 x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    1 x 1TB Sata
    1 x 160GB IDE
    1 x 2Tb WD External My Book Elite
    1 x 1TB WD External My Book Elite
    1 x 4TB WD External My Book
    PSU
    Thermaltake 850W XT
    Case
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Edition
    Cooling
    AC-ALPINE-64PRO ARTIC COOLING
    Keyboard
    12 year old Compaq, cant see any of the letters anymore :)
    Mouse
    Microflacid Sterile
    Internet Speed
    ADSL2+
    Other Info
    My husband and I divorced over religious differences.. He thought he was God and I didn't.
I hear ya with regards to Winblows 7, tried it switched back to Vista, as for Winblows NotSogr8 and .1 I have heard more complaints about that than I ever have with Vista.

I cut my teeth on good old 3.1 on a 386, then jumped to Win98SE, on a massive 10GB hard drive with a whole 64mb of ram lol, skipped XP went straight into Win2k, in my humble opinion the best OS!!, then to Vista, where I think I will probably remain.

yeah I cut my teeth on xp. I wll and still use vista because it is still secure and is still going to be supported with security patches by Microsoft until 2017. I like windows 7 and use it also it will be supported with security patches until 2020 by Microsoft. for my pc needs vista and windows 7 work great and I really have no issues with either one of them. I did buy windows 8 because I found a hell of a good deal on it, but I do not like it at all so I don't use it and yeah I have heard lots of complaints about it also. I think all new operating systems get lots of complaints when they are first released as the seem to have problems that need to be fixed. hopefully windows 9 will be a more user friendly GUI than windows 8. I am a desktop user and I don't care about touch screen or tablet software. I do have a nexus tablet and like it but it isn't windows operating system. I use it on the go and it works.

poorguy

My Computer

Back