Windows Can't Search for Updates Error 80070002

alexa21

I am having a problem on my Granddaughter's Dell laptop. She has Vista Home Premium x64 with service pack 2. When I try to do the windows updates, is gives a red error box saying windows could not search for updates. I have clicked on the blue link - get help with this error. I have stopped the update service, deleted temporary update files, restarted the windows update service, installed the system update readiness tool, clicked on the fix it....everything they say to do and it still won't do the updates.

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. I have spent my entire day trying to get it fixed.

I have also tried to do an update in safe mode but can't get the computer to connect to my network. Get local only when running in safe mode with networking.

Thank you :confused:

My Computer

Welcome

Can be several cause, one can be malware or a virus.
Make full and updates scan with your anti virus.
Downloand and make a full and updated scan with malwarebytes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thank you Richard. She had Malwarebytes on her computer and we have done that scan, plus SUPERAntiSpyware, plus her Avast, plus Glary Registry repair. I did all the recommendations you mentioned in the Windows update error 800700002 (that's the link it takes you to when you click on the blue link get help with this error).

I will try the 800700002 repair guide.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I have downloaded and done all they suggest to fix the error and nothing worked. I did the Windows 6.0-KB947821-v-12x64 (Microsoft Update Stand alone Package) and I did the Fix it #50202 in the default and aggressive modes...still nothing.

Through ALL the research, I found a forum that said to do a chkdsk /f which I did. Also said to do sfc /scannow as administrator (this stands for system file checker) but it wouldn't work. Said windows resource protection could not start the repair service, so I tried to look that up and found this site that talks about the problem can be caused by the Windows Modules Installer in the windows servicing folder. Http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/258701-windows-update-error-80070424-a.HTML

The Windows Modules Installer (by TrustedInstaller) does not exist on her computer in the services folder. TrustedInstaller says [failed to read description.Error Code:2]. The above link talks about downloading the necessary files and that you have to take ownership of the services folder in order to copy the TrustedInstaller.exe file into the services folder. Here's the website link I found that talks about taking ownership. Http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.HTML

Taking ownership of the folder was too much for me to tackle. I have given her laptop to a IT person to fix.

My Computer

Back