Solved Windows defender V windows malicious software removal tool

carl424

I just wondered what the difference is between windows defender and the windows malicious software removal tool.

I know defender has alot of other features, but as for the Malicious software do they both do the same thing.....

JMH

Banned
I just wondered what the difference is between windows defender and the windows malicious software removal tool.

I know defender has alot of other features, but as for the Malicious software do they both do the same thing.....

Hello carl424 & welcome to Vista Forums.
The Malicious Software Removal Tool detects and removes high-profile viruses including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom etc.
This is not a real-time tool but rather an application you run periodically.

Windows Defender detects and removes spyware. It is software that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. It features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, minimizes interruptions, and helps you stay productive.

Hope that helps you.

carl424

Thats great thanks for pointing out the difference

This is not a real-time tool but rather an application you run periodically. .

I haven't read about it, but i sometimes run it manually , does this run on a schedule automatically (ie) once a week...or something.

So it won't actually find anything unless you run it, or its being run on a schedule

JMH

Banned
Thats great thanks for pointing out the difference

This is not a real-time tool but rather an application you run periodically. .

I haven't read about it, but i sometimes run it manually , does this run on a schedule automatically (ie) once a week...or something.

So it won't actually find anything unless you run it, or its being run on a schedule

Hello carl424 again,
Re the Win. Malicious Software Removal Tool. - It is not a replacement for an anti-virus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an anti-virus product.
No it can't be scheduled to run automatically.

BTW, What Anti Virus program are you running?

carl424

Hello JMH..

Yes i do use Avast 4.8 home edition (free) its pritty good

No it can't be scheduled to run automatically

Like i said i do run it now and then.
So lets just see if i have got this right.

It gets installed "via" automatic updates once a month.
But it runs automatically in the backgroung, but this is where i get a little confused.
Is it always running in the background, or does it just run its self once when it gets installed , and then you can run it manually if you want.

And its not on a scheduale

JMH

Banned
Hello JMH..

Yes i do use Avast 4.8 home edition (free) its pritty good

No it can't be scheduled to run automatically

Like i said i do run it now and then.
So lets just see if i have got this right.

It gets installed "via" automatic updates once a month.
But it runs automatically in the backgroung, but this is where i get a little confused.
Is it always running in the background, or does it just run its self once when it gets installed , and then you can run it manually if you want.

And its not on a scheduale
Re the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.
To clarify -
No it doesn't always run in the background. It is a once off via Windows Updates.[The version of this tool delivered by Windows Update runs on your computer once a month, in the background.]
Yes you can run it manually, as a second opinion, whenever you want. ;)

Last edited:

carl424

JMH;1146169 [I said:
Re the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.[/I]
To clarify -
No it doesn't always run in the background. It is a once off via Windows Updates.[The version of this tool delivered by Windows Update runs on your computer once a month, in the background.]
Yes you can run it manually, as a second opinion, whenever you want. ;)

ARR got it now JMH , yes understand it now, all cleared up..

Thanks for your help JMH....:cool:

JMH

Banned
My pleasure carl424,
If you ever have more questions, you know where to find us.;)
Safe surfing.