Windows Failed to Start

BrendonB612

Hi
my problem happened yesterday. I lost power to my home and my battery backup gave out before I got home to safely shutdown (I don’t normally lose power long enough to wipe out my backup). When power came back on I rebooted Vista 32Bit and was able to login but there were errors (which I did not record). Vista informed me there were errors and suggested I reboot and run CHKDSK. I tried to run chkdsk next time windows load but after my bios loaded I had nothing but a Black screen. I waited for 8 hours and still black screen. So I booted from my Factory Dell CD and Vista was unable to repair automatically.

Boot critical file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\Wdf0100.sys is corrupt

Boot critical file C:\WDFLDR.SYS is corrupt

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Brendon

My Computer

Hi Brendon,

Try booting into Safe Mode - start the machine and tap F8 repeatedly.

Select Last known Good Configuration.

Hope it helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi,

You could download an iso from your drive manuf. site that you burn to cd (do not format cd - if autoplay pops up, just close it )

Here's one from Seagate, for example - you need to accept and register to d/l the iso, it's free ( only works on Seagate or Maxtor drives )

SeaTools End User License Agreement

Here's a free isoburner d/l

http://www.ntfs.com/downloads/Iso-burner.zip

Then boot that cd into your damaged pc and run the find and fix disk errors option. (similar to checkdisk )

If that doesn't fix it, you might end up having to reinstall from your Dell dvd.

Before you do that you can try and save the contents of the drive.

Boot the Dell dvd to get to the recovery options as you did before, and select the command prompt , you should be able to copy what you want from it to an external hd - if you have one, like this:

at the command prompt> type notepad > press Enter

A notepad window opens > click File > click Save

You then see your pc hd and attached drives

Copy and paste from your drive to the external HD.

In case it doesn't work , might be a good idea to use a bootable app. to copy the contents of your hd , or selected files onto external media.

If you need to reinstall from the Dell dvd, It may give you the option to save the contents of the partition into a folder called Windows.old, (To do that, during the install, you just click on the partition you wish to install to and do not format it).

Hope it helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800