Windows Home Premium Installation Issue

snoko

Hi,

I have bit of a problem , I have the following pc which I bought 3 yrs ago , so I suppose relatively old Compaq Presario SR2125UK Desktop PC - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English)

Its running 2gb of mem , 140 GB , duo core intel proscessor ( I cant remember the exact speed - i suffer dyscalculia but I bought this when duo core pretty much just came out ( if that helps )back in march 07 here in the uk from pcworld with Windows preinstalled.

To recall how this happened aint easy and TBH has been recurring issues for some time that I managed to sort with antivirus software , but never truly sorted until i suppose it got out of hand ( fan whirling all the time ) and myself resorting to using the netbook i am on now.

At the time I thought it was just a bad virus that had somehow got in there ,so I tired various antivirus software like kapersky , spybot which helped up to point ( at least got rid of some viruses ) but for somer reason it never truly fixed and whatefer the issue was.

This actually started to happen if I recall by doing a Microsoft update so as result I just ignored it , as it just seemed to cause more problems too.

Tonight then I attempted to sort this ,using software I bought called Paragon disc manager . My idea was to just formart it ( thinking it would delete / replace anything else in there ) and then restore disc, but unfortunatley this did not work out as planned.

When I ran the program it told me to run disc chceck - so I did and it found 0 problems to fix , although Paragon seemed to think otherwise , so I decided to go ahead and install any way.

After this typing in the product key when coming to installation screen i got told this

Windows cannot open required file:J:\Sources\Install.wim.

The file does not exist. Makes sure all files required for
installation are available , and restart Error code:0x80070002

I tired recbootfix from the command prompt - nothing

I managed to get into safemode and doing another disc check but nothing too ( although the drive does appear formmated ie. it says 0 )

downloaded the original 4 drivers from compaq site thinking It might help but as I have to install them before It can find them - no use ie. it doesnt recognise at all .

So now Im left wondering what my options are as I cant really think of what else to do , does any one have any suggestions ?

thanks

snoko

Last edited:

My Computer

HeyAll,

I have bit of a problem , I have the following pc which I bought 3 yrs ago , so I suppose relatively old Compaq Presario SR2125UK Desktop PC - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English)

Its running 2gb of mem as opposed to the 1 originally in there but other than and upgraded graphics card the same machine , duo core intel proscessor ( I cant remember the exact speed - i suffer dyscalculia ) and of course I cant boot up the pc to check and 140 gb if i recall .

To recall how this happened aint easy and tbh has been recurring issues for some time that I managed to sort with antivirus software , but never truly sorted until i suppose it got out of hand ( fan whirling all the time ) and myself resorting to using the netbook i am on now.

I tired various antivirus like kapersky , spybot but for somer reason it never truly fixed and whats worse was its was also not doing a system restore - which I dont think has ever happened to me before.

Tonight then I attempted to sort this , though I must confess I wasnt in the best frame of mind ( ill health plus 6 weeks of being stuck indoors thanks to weather you see )

Any how I got hold of this program called Paragon hard disc manager because i wanted a fail safe way to format the partition on my hard drive ( thinking it would help resolve whatever the funk was going on once and for all )

I also should not note i tried checking the intergrity or something like that , of the system files itself which of course I knew were not working , but it just told me to run check disc which I already tried unsuccessfully before any way .

So I just went ahead and formatted it and booted up the windows installation with recovery disc I had downloaded from site.. Nemo like the captain or something

So far so good and windows isntallation asks for the product key - which of course I have and type in , but after this fun n games begins.

Instead of it installing then , i get told this..

Windows cannot open required file:J:\Sources\Install.wim.

The file does not exist. Makes sure all files required for
installation are available , and restart Error code:0x80070002

With Love n Light,

Bill gates

ok- the last 2 lines are of course just my sarcasm or bad sense of humour, but this is where Im left so I wondering what my options are now.

Would fresh installation of from installation disc fix this , or any of the drivers so forth on that link , or am I up gumtree with this?

thanks for reading any way- as you can tell im pretty stupid but i can read ...sometimes :o

peace,

snoko

My Computer

Hi,

First I need you confirm that the recovery disks you are using a for your computer (Make & model number) & that these have been supplied by the manaufacturer?

If they are then you could get away with clean them (Soft cloth) & they will be ok.

If that fails I think you need to contact the supplier as they may be defective & you need new ones.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP-Pavilion m9280.uk-a
    CPU
    2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core
    Motherboard
    ASUSTek Computer INC. NARRA3 3.02
    Memory
    3582 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (4 Gig)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS NVIDIA Geforce GTS450
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition 7.1 Audio (HP drivers)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2408 24.0" (Dual monitor)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 * 1200, 1920 * 1200
    Hard Drives
    3*500 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    Plus 2x USB (160Gig each) external HDD
    BluRay & DVD Weiters
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L SCSI CdRom (Bluray RW) Device
    AlViDrv BDDVDROM SCSI CdRom (Blueray) Device
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N SCSI CdRom
    Internet Speed
    40 Meg
hi,

I downloaded the recovery disks from here Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files

though i keep getting told BOOTMGR MISSING unless I use boot it up in my external dvd writer.

Im assuming this is because the recovery image or whatever is needed , has been wiped or partially wipe , though its strange why it still takes me to the installation screen if this is the case .

Even with my friends copy of windows vista 32 ( she has an extra ) its still doesnt work, and just goes back to the BOOTMGR MISSING .

:(

My Computer

hi,

That link just takes me to the same link I downloaded from , perhaps you missed it ?

Any way may try another iso program to see if it just a bad burn , I cant think of what else to do unless i buy new install cd.

My Computer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi snoko,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

You say you have access to a genuine Vista Installation Disk of the same bit-size as on your system. If so, I suggest the following:

Do a Startup Repair by booting to the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk (or one you can borrow from ANYONE) or from a Recovery Disk. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91467-startup-repair.html. To boot to the CD you may need to change the BIOS to make the CD-drive first in the boot sequence. To do that, wait for the screen that tells you the F key to push to access the boot menu or boot setup. Push it quickly. Make the changes, save your work, and exit. Put the CD in the drive and reboot. When prompted, push any key to boot from the CD.

If you don't have either disk, you can make a bootable Recovery Disk using
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ along with burning software like:http://www.snapfiles.com/get/active-isoburner.html and, of course, a blank CD.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, try the following:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps: (you need a Vista Installation Disk to do this)

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
 bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
 c:
 cd boot
 attrib bcd -s -h -r
 ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
 bootrec /RebuildBcd

If you don't have the disk, try EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 and see if that helps resolve the problem.

If that doesn't work, then check out the options for obtaining a set of recovery disks or determining if you have a recovery partition and how to access it (assuming we're still dealing with Europe) from the following: Obtaining a Recovery Disc set in Europe, Middle East and Africa Compaq Presario SR2125UK Desktop PC - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English). That should resolve the problem with the boot manager and everything else (but backup your data first as this process will wipe the drive clean of EVERYTHING).

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01

Sry- In my haste i never read through that all , just so you know then I tried everything it mentioned on that page and this is what happened, the strnage thing is it was obviously reading my external drive or else i wouldnt of been to get to the system recovery options screen.

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

" system cannot find path specified "

del C:\boot\bcd

" access is denied "

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

O installions of windows

My Computer

You can go back to factory specs. You mayhave received a dvd for that
or
it is a matter of using and f key during boot; usually f11 or 12. It would be in your computer manual or online. We can help if necessary. You may want to save your stuff first however
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

or

You can try to get into safe mode and then system restore

also mayebe some help here.

Boot manager is missing - Windows 7 Forums

Well i saved every thing on my externals thank god , or else I would probably be reaching for the noose as i speak.

I bought this from compaq on a sale , and got no manual or dc / dvd .

I will take a lot at those links , someone else thinks my hard drive may have gone and suggested i find the make to download drivers or something , do you think that would help , where would i find the make - in the bios ?

My Computer

Hi snoko,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

You say you have access to a genuine Vista Installation Disk of the same bit-size as on your system. If so, I suggest the following:

Do a Startup Repair by booting to the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk (or one you can borrow from ANYONE) or from a Recovery Disk. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91467-startup-repair.html. To boot to the CD you may need to change the BIOS to make the CD-drive first in the boot sequence. To do that, wait for the screen that tells you the F key to push to access the boot menu or boot setup. Push it quickly. Make the changes, save your work, and exit. Put the CD in the drive and reboot. When prompted, push any key to boot from the CD.

If you don't have either disk, you can make a bootable Recovery Disk using http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ along with burning software like:http://www.snapfiles.com/get/active-isoburner.html and, of course, a blank CD.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, try the following:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps: (you need a Vista Installation Disk to do this)

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
 bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
 c:
 cd boot
 attrib bcd -s -h -r
 ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
 bootrec /RebuildBcd

If you don't have the disk, try EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 and see if that helps resolve the problem.

If that doesn't work, then check out the options for obtaining a set of recovery disks or determining if you have a recovery partition and how to access it (assuming we're still dealing with Europe) from the following: Obtaining a Recovery Disc set in Europe, Middle East and Africa Compaq Presario SR2125UK Desktop PC - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English). That should resolve the problem with the boot manager and everything else (but backup your data first as this process will wipe the drive clean of EVERYTHING).

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Hi ,

i dont have the disk yet , my asscociate in NY has one but when i'll have that is anyones guess ( they arent too tardy at mailing things ) .

Its also windows 7 not vista as I thought , will that be problem or could i just do a clean install with that ( I dont care if its xp,vista, win 7 or that system whose name ive forgotten with the penguin )

thanks

snoko :confused:

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT

Just a quick update that might open more options now.

I managed to install windows again clean ( i used another exteral drive and it worked instead of the new samsung ) so Im finallly up and running .

Althogh there is nothing on the pc sounds almost the same ,fan whirling constantly ( with periodic louder sessions )

I used seatools from seagate to see if I could run some of the basic tests like the S.M.A.R.T test but it wont run any of them and deselects the drive after i choose the test to run ( the ticked box )

Used the malicous software removal tool ( quick ) nothing
Looked at the Disk management and it says my main drive and recovery are both healthy..

Not sure whether its worth my while even adding software to check, any reason why it wouldnt peform basic tests ?

I see a serial number for the hard drive no mention of make , Im just in the process of trying a defrag - but its taking far longer than I would of expected i.e. its been 10 mins and not even started so I decided to stop it, after which it decided to analyse the disk and tells me my peformance is good ?? :(

Another odd thing is that 10.8 gb of the disk is reported as being used ,even though i formatted it ,the Disc check isnt working either , every time I try to use it I get told the disk is in use ...

The model number I just googled came up with this which Im assuming must be a match to the one I have unless there other makes with the exact same model number ?

Would it be difficult to just replace this ?

thanks

snoko

Last edited:

My Computer

I tried finding a firmware update but I cant .

Everytime I enter the serial number for the drive ( SCSI-FC-SAS ) the damm Seagate site tells me its invalid , what the heck does that mean ? ??

I thought they supported all drives ??

They ( seagate ) cant even find the serial number i have from compaq on my pc , nevermind the serial for the hard drive ...

Did i get sold something off the back of lorry or something ??

last time i buy i Compaq, thats for sure.

Last edited:

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi,

A seagate serial number is like:-

Serial= 5QM1LCDY
Type = ST3500620AS, Baracuda 7200. 11
P/N = 9BX142-620
Firmware = HP21
Plus other stuff etc.

Are you sure your drive is a seagate unit?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP-Pavilion m9280.uk-a
    CPU
    2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core
    Motherboard
    ASUSTek Computer INC. NARRA3 3.02
    Memory
    3582 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (4 Gig)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS NVIDIA Geforce GTS450
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition 7.1 Audio (HP drivers)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2408 24.0" (Dual monitor)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 * 1200, 1920 * 1200
    Hard Drives
    3*500 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    Plus 2x USB (160Gig each) external HDD
    BluRay & DVD Weiters
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L SCSI CdRom (Bluray RW) Device
    AlViDrv BDDVDROM SCSI CdRom (Blueray) Device
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N SCSI CdRom
    Internet Speed
    40 Meg
Positive only seagate start with st for a start.

I checked my model on their site

How to interpret Seagate model numbers

And the serial number I was told does not exist , yet thats what comes up with the seagate tools , Im just starting to think i might as well just bin the drive... i was going to get a new pc for multimedia work upgrade ( mainly music projects ) any way, but If i could at least get healthy drive in there I could sell it too.

Unfortunately one of the slots broke ( badly designed ) when upgrading the memory so theres only 2gb which I think is quite standard , while the processor is 2.8 duo core.

Any recommendations on hard drives then I could use ( I've never changed one ) but it seems a lot of folk are doing it now more , so surely it cant be just for the experts ?

Hi,

A seagate serial number is like:-

Serial= 5QM1LCDY
Type = ST3500620AS, Baracuda 7200. 11
P/N = 9BX142-620
Firmware = HP21
Plus other stuff etc.

Are you sure your drive is a seagate unit?

My Computer

Back