Windows Installer service not running 0x80070641

I have PDF ex V5.5 installed for years so I know it works with Vista. I was told V9 would work back around that time, not sure where
I read it, may have been support from their website am not sure...
PDF XChange announced end of support for XP/Vista five years ago. V7 should work if you can find it, but not V8 or V9:

PDF-XChange Co Ltd

If you run SFC and it reports fixing something, I would restart the PC before running SFC again. Best of luck!

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
2) I get the attached message with most MSI files trying to run. However the one I want to install but wont is PDFXVE9, PDF Exchange 9
and it actually seems to nearly install then fails with a different looking error message. I have tried runregistering and re-registering both the 32 and 64 bit command lines. Back when I first posted I believe I tried renaming the DLL's....then I noticed the many duplicate DLL's and thought something there could be the reason for the problem.

I think I have answered all the questions from #51, if not let me know.

Hi Teknoskillz:

At this point I'm still not clear if your Windows Installer service is damaged (or just occasionally fails to launch when you run a .msi installer) or if your problem is caused by some of the .msi installers you are trying to install.

The path to the Windows Installer service is C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe, and you said that when you enter msiexec in a Run dialog box that it shows you have the correct v4.5.6002.19424 for Vista SP2.

Your answer in post # 52 to my Question # 2 said that most .msi files throw a "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" error when launched. Does that mean that some .msi installers will run correctly after you start this service manually, or do you mean that you see a different error message like the 0x80070641 errors you saw in 2021? We established that the .msi installer for PDF-XChange Editor v9 likely failed because this software is not compatible with Vista SP2, but what other .msi installers fail to run on your system, and are they critical to the use of your Vista SP2 computer?

Your second image in post # 52 of your Windows Services shows your Windows Modules Installer service (i.e., the service that manages the installation, modification, and removal of updates installed by Windows Update), and not the Windows Installer service that manages the installation, modification, and removal of applications installed with a .msi installer. I'm still not clear on the current status of your Windows Installer service - for example, is it listed in your Windows Services, and if so is the Startup Type the default Manual as shown in my first image in post # 51?

You also didn't answer my questions in post # 53 about your Windows Firewall and antivirus. Being unable to run a few .msi installers almost 4 years after Microsoft shut down the Windows Update servers for Win XP and Vista on 03-Aug-2020 (see the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices) will likely be a minor irritant for you going forward and probably not worth the effort it might take to fix this one particular problem (e.g., like a clean reinstall of your entire Vista SP2 operating system as Vistaar suggested on 17-Apr-2021 in post # 16). Right now I'm more concerned about your comment in post # 50 that your Windows Firewall service is disabled, as well as the fact that I can't see any evidence in your msinfo2.txt file that you have an antivirus loading at boot-up and protecting your system in real-time.

If you want to continue troubleshooting please publish a Speccy diagnostic of your system as requested in my post # 26. Speccy diagnostics don't list recent system errors but I find that formatted Speccy output is much easier to read than a msinfo2.txt file. FYI, the 12-Jul-2019 Speccy diagnostic I published at http://speccy.piriform.com/results/z2qoNAESuxQeYKCK2QGx3or for my own Vista SP2 machine is the last Speccy diagnostic I ran just before I uninstalled my legacy Norton Security v22.15.2.22 antivirus and retired this old computer.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
...the one I want to install but wont is PDFXVE9, PDF Exchange 9....in properties, digital signatures the PDF Exchange 9 MSI says... sha256
PDF XChange announced end of support for XP/Vista five years ago. V7 should work if you can find it, but not V8 or V9:

PDF-XChange Co Ltd
On page 1 of the MSFN thread Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, scroll down to heading PDF Viewers/Editors. There is a direct link for PDF-XChange Editor 7.0.328.2 that delivers file PDFXVE7.zip (147 MB). I never used it myself.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT