Windows Live OneCare is Dead - Alternatives?

However, I'm happy to have negotiated the process of getting avast! installed instead of WLOC antivirus, especially since I won't need to fork out $99.95 each year, just for the priviledge of WLOC protection etc. Not sure how this will effect the monthly update and running of Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool though, but I'll face that next 2nd Tuesday of June.

There shouldn't be any problem with Windows Updates, Patch Tuesday will roll around as usual and my experience has been that the Updates all do their thing while Avast ticks along nicely in the background.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer 5920 Laptop
    Memory
    Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM Support 2GB of DDR2, 135 GB Storage
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel GM965 Express Chipset
    Screen Resolution
    15.4" 1280 x 800
However, I'm happy to have negotiated the process of getting avast! installed instead of WLOC antivirus, especially since I won't need to fork out $99.95 each year, just for the priviledge of WLOC protection etc. Not sure how this will effect the monthly update and running of Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool though, but I'll face that next 2nd Tuesday of June.

There shouldn't be any problem with Windows Updates, Patch Tuesday will roll around as usual and my experience has been that the Updates all do their thing while Avast ticks along nicely in the background.

---I also use AVAST a/v on my laptop, with Windows-defender+firewall---and my browser FIREFOX (instead of Internet-Explorer) also scans for viruses when I download anything + it has ad/block with it to block pop-ups!---

peace

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    eMachines D620 (laptop)
    CPU
    AMD Athlon Processor 2650e 1.60GHz
    Motherboard
    ACPI x86-based PC
    Memory
    (RAM) 1.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Internal DAC (400MHz) - memory: 382 MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Def Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ATI Radeon X1250 - 14"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 (60Hz)
    Hard Drives
    ST9160310AS ATA Device
    Case
    Stealth~graphite
    Keyboard
    Launch Manager Version 2.0.02
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad + Microsoft Optical Mouse 500
    Internet Speed
    Cable/wireless-router
    Other Info
    NO WEBCAM - (privacy)
Avast is a prominant choice for your needs along with a differen't firewall program like PCTools free firewall, or zonealarm's free firewall, or comodo's though I haven't used it.

Here's the setup I have: I have avast free home edition, Malwarebytes Anti-malware free edition, ccleaner, smart defrag(IOBIT TECHNOLOGIES), IOBIT security 360 (IOBIT TECHNOLOGIES). And am currently running windows firewall with all incoming connections blocked which means all I can do is surf the web check email and download few files. its setup that way for better security purposes. I don't think its in anyones right mind to run windows firewall for a couple reasons: 1.) it's vurtually unadjustable except the exceptions tab which only manages the programs not the protocol. If you ask almost any firewall expert they will say windows firewall is a pain in the neck to configure, confusing to use, and more hassle than its worth the free firewalls from the various security vendors (zonealarm, pctools, comodo etc.) are much more secure because they go by protocol and behavioral detection in other words these firewalls are more flexible to change.

Now if you install iobit 360 I wouldn't run it in realtime protection if you go to IObit - Speed Up Slow Computer, Keep PC and Internet Secure, Freeware Download and click on iobit security 360 and read the information about the program they tell you that it's safe to run alongside other antivirus packages. but I have come to realize that you cannot rely on this two realtime protection packages conflict with one; when you open a file your antivirus scans it so if you had two doing that at the same time it would slow things down a bit and would probably get in an argument over one another if the file is clean or dirty.

My Computer

Back