"windows login service service failed the login"

A repair install definately will solve the problem. Before trying that pls download Hijacthis run it and post the logfile here.

I found nothing odd on your security log.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Wipro
    Motherboard
    Intel dq35j0
    Memory
    8 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    inter express chipset
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Wipro
    Screen Resolution
    1024*768
    Hard Drives
    500 gb
    Keyboard
    DELL
    Mouse
    Dell
    Internet Speed
    100 mbps(office lan)
if you go to services.msc ( start, run type services,msc or windows key + R) is "user profile service" set run automatically? If you select it and look at top right hand corner does it say start the service or stop and restart? What about "security accounts manager"?

Just a thought

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    MSI P36 NEO2
    Memory
    4GB 5-5-5-12
    Graphics Card(s)
    8800GTS 512Mb Overclocked
    Sound Card
    5.1 surround sound
    Hard Drives
    500Gb Samsung SATAII XP
    500GB Samsung SATAII
    PSU
    1000W CoolerMaster power supply
    Case
    CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 case
    Cooling
    120mm ThermalTake Big Typhoon CPU cooler, 3 x 120mm exhaust
    Keyboard
    Wireless Keyboard and mouse 3000
    Other Info
    1TB WD My Book Office edition external drive x 2, Dual layer LG DVD-Rom burner,
    15 in 1 card reader
    Triple boot: XP, Vista Ultimate 64 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64
if you go to services.msc ( start, run type services,msc or windows key + R) is "user profile service" set run automatically? If you select it and look at top right hand corner does it say start the service or stop and restart? What about "security accounts manager"?

Just a thought

Both "user profile service" and "security accounts manager" are started and set to run on startup. "user profile service" also says "stop the service" and "restart the service".

Thanks for your help!

Here's the hijackthis log:

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    7.8 KB · Views: 55

My Computer

That seems to be more about the main account and from editing the c:\users folder. My issue is that new accounts that are members of the "users" group won't login.

and what we have in this link :p?

My problem boiled down to this. I could log in to vista using my (Admin) account and create as many new users as I wanted to via the User Management tools in the control panel. In the User Management tool, I could see each and every one of the new accounts. When I booted up the system or choose to Switch Users, all of the newly created accounts showed up on the log in screen. However, any attempt to log in using any of those accounts resulted in the same "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded" error.

My Computer

:sarc: can power user and backup operators login?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Wipro
    Motherboard
    Intel dq35j0
    Memory
    8 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    inter express chipset
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Wipro
    Screen Resolution
    1024*768
    Hard Drives
    500 gb
    Keyboard
    DELL
    Mouse
    Dell
    Internet Speed
    100 mbps(office lan)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Wipro
    Motherboard
    Intel dq35j0
    Memory
    8 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    inter express chipset
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Wipro
    Screen Resolution
    1024*768
    Hard Drives
    500 gb
    Keyboard
    DELL
    Mouse
    Dell
    Internet Speed
    100 mbps(office lan)
we would try that. :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Wipro
    Motherboard
    Intel dq35j0
    Memory
    8 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    inter express chipset
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Wipro
    Screen Resolution
    1024*768
    Hard Drives
    500 gb
    Keyboard
    DELL
    Mouse
    Dell
    Internet Speed
    100 mbps(office lan)
Hi Guys -

I had this same problem over the weekend and it did take me awhile to figure things out and FIX the problem. After reading all the threads here and on other sites I pieced a few things together and found the problem.

First off - Rob Brooks Blison's Blog - was a good clue, but not the exact problem. What helped me there was him going to the event log and searching out the cause of the problem. That's very important - GO TO YOUR EVENT LOG.

Second - Someone here said that they could create an NEW Admin user, but not a Normal users. I discovered that to be the same with me. I couldn't even turn on and log in as a GUEST user. (Although I do remember doing that about 6 months ago when I had a guest staying with me).

So, anyway, what it ALL came down to was a file in the hidden DEFAULT user folder. The file was; "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\SqmApi\SqmData720896_00.sqm"
Turns out that after viewing the properties of this file it did NOT allow normal users permission to access the file. Therefore when Window tryed to copy it when creating the new user folders - access was DENIED and the login process was stopped with the "User Profile Service failed".

Now I don't know what this file is, but I DO know it was created on 3/30/09 and that just so happens to be the same date that WINDOWS UPDATE uploaded Windows Live Essentials to my computer.

So it seems to me that my problem was caused by a Microsoft update that had the wrong user rights assign to a file. I think all the talk of doing Complete reinstalls and trying to fix the Register and such is to much for most to deal with. Many people who recieved the Windows Live Essentials update will have this same problem and it can be fix by another update from Microsoft.

Thanks guys for being here. I have learned much, and will continue to do so with your help.

RoyBoyDenver

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook
Hi Guys -

I had this same problem over the weekend and it did take me awhile to figure things out and FIX the problem. After reading all the threads here and on other sites I pieced a few things together and found the problem.

First off - Rob Brooks Blison's Blog - was a good clue, but not the exact problem. What helped me there was him going to the event log and searching out the cause of the problem. That's very important - GO TO YOUR EVENT LOG.

Second - Someone here said that they could create an NEW Admin user, but not a Normal users. I discovered that to be the same with me. I couldn't even turn on and log in as a GUEST user. (Although I do remember doing that about 6 months ago when I had a guest staying with me).

So, anyway, what it ALL came down to was a file in the hidden DEFAULT user folder. The file was; "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\SqmApi\SqmData720896_00.sqm"
Turns out that after viewing the properties of this file it did NOT allow normal users permission to access the file. Therefore when Window tryed to copy it when creating the new user folders - access was DENIED and the login process was stopped with the "User Profile Service failed".

Now I don't know what this file is, but I DO know it was created on 3/30/09 and that just so happens to be the same date that WINDOWS UPDATE uploaded Windows Live Essentials to my computer.

So it seems to me that my problem was caused by a Microsoft update that had the wrong user rights assign to a file. I think all the talk of doing Complete reinstalls and trying to fix the Register and such is to much for most to deal with. Many people who recieved the Windows Live Essentials update will have this same problem and it can be fix by another update from Microsoft.

Thanks guys for being here. I have learned much, and will continue to do so with your help.

RoyBoyDenver

Hi,

I have no "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\SqmApi\SqmData720896_00.sqm".
I get as far as local\microsoft but then the only folder is called "windows" and i[/B]
ts empty.

My Computer

Back