Windows Mail Contact list and email address order

sportflyer

My sister told me that her Windows Mail is really strange. I can't help her because I don't use Windows Mail so I am asking on her behalf.

a) When she opens her Contact list , the names are in alphabetical order (which is expected) .However when she composes an email and clicks on the "To" button , the name list displayed is not in alphabetical order by name but strangely ordered by email addresses. Is there a way to rearrange to resort by names?

b) When she types a name in the Address area ie in the box next to "To" , another page opens for search. Is this normal ? With Outlook ( which she used to use until she changed to a new computer running Vista) when you type the name a list of potential email addresses appear. IS there a way to fix this?

Thanks

My Computer

I'm piggybacking on here because I have a similar problem. I imported my address book from Outlook Express and now when I begin to type in the name on "To" line it doesn't find the contact. For example if my contact is Joe Smith, I use to be able to type in Jo (and the auto fill would kick in) Now I need to remember Joe Smith's email which might not be anything like his name ([email protected]) How do I organize my address book like it was on O.E.? I want them alphebetically by first name, not by their email address.

My Computer

sportflyer

I'm piggybacking on here because I have a similar problem. I imported my address book from Outlook Express and now when I begin to type in the name on "To" line it doesn't find the contact. For example if my contact is Joe Smith, I use to be able to type in Jo (and the auto fill would kick in) Now I need to remember Joe Smith's email which might not be anything like his name ([email protected]) How do I organize my address book like it was on O.E.? I want them alphebetically by first name, not by their email address.

I thought my sister was the only person that had that problem !

My Computer

sportflyer

For some unknown reason the problem partially fixed itself per my sister. Now the email address fill in works properly but her contact list is in disarray :(

My Computer

Apollo3434

I am piggybacking as well - for a sort of related problem. I find that if I have used a contact - ie sent mail to them - in the last few days, I can get the contact back up by just typing in the "Jo" (to use the example above). However, once it goes past a few days of not sending anything to that contact, that quick link is "forgotten", and does not bring up the contact.

I have searched through all the places I know off to adjust this memory timing - so I don't know if is adjustable, or is it "hard coded".

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Please ignore my request. Tracked down the answer via "Email address Auto complete" search.

many thanks.

Last edited:

My Computer