Windows Mail - "The message could not be sent. An error has occurred."

abbruno

Windows Mail suddenly does not send or receive messages. When I attempt to send a message, I receive the following error, "The message could not be sent. An error has occurred." When I click the Send and Receive button, the pop-up box comes up, but not long enough for me to read anything. However, it appears to complete the send/receive process with no errors. I have had issues in the past and often received an error number, but not this time. When I go into my accounts, I have changed the password to my incoming server to the wrong one to see if it recognizes the error and have also changed port numbers and still receive no error. I have attempted working offline and double-checked to ensure it recognizes the wireless internet connection - which it does.

I do not currently have and have never had any anti-virus programs installed on my computer. I have logged into my email through my browser and deleted all emails from all of my folders, closed Windows Mail and then re-started it to no avail.

I would just upgrade to Windows Live Mail, but I already did that once before when I was experiencing other problems with Windows Mail, and that program has also stopped working correctly so I had to go back to Windows Mail. Therefore, it appears that if I cannot get this issue resolved, I will be stuck using my browser (which is not very user-friendly) and my iPhone. Needless to say, I am quite frustrated with Windows Mail and Vista!

PLEASE HELP!

My Computer

First let's fix the major problem of not having an antivirus! For now please download Malwarebytes and run a full, updated scan. Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download That should clean up any bad software on your computer. And I would imagine you have a lot... There are plenty of good free antivirus programs out there, most of the people on this site highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

After running malwarebytes, see if your mail problem is still occurring.

Personally, I just have to recommend you switch to using Mozilla Thunderbird, instead of Windows Mail. It's very clean and easy to use. And free. Check it out. Mozilla Thunderbird That's just a personal suggestion, you don't have to if you really like Windows Mail :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    DELL - 27d90219 Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (DPMS), 15.3" (34cm x 19cm)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Portable 320 GB used for separate storage of media, plugged into USB port as needed.
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touchpad, + Logitech wireless mouse (USB)
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
    Usually have low HD free space left (<10 GB), often left on overnight. I really push its capabilities.
Thanks for the response. I use Windows Security Essentials and Windows Defender for spyware and malware protection. I have never had any problems with pop-ups, etc. Do you still think I should download Malwarebytes?

Thanks again.

My Computer

Not only should you download the free malwarebytes, but use it to scan once a week.
AV looks for virus, malwarebytes looks for malware. In a true sense not the samething.
In addition to go the website of your email and make sure that your settings are correct and they were not changed by the website
If the setting changes have been revised by the website no service will work.
Turn defender off, it is part of Security Essentials and is no longer needed.
I dont think that this is a malware problem, but always good to check.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Windows Mail suddenly does not send or receive messages. When I attempt to send a message, I receive the following error, "The message could not be sent. An error has occurred." When I click the Send and Receive button, the pop-up box comes up, but not long enough for me to read anything. However, it appears to complete the send/receive process with no errors. I have had issues in the past and often received an error number, but not this time. When I go into my accounts, I have changed the password to my incoming server to the wrong one to see if it recognizes the error and have also changed port numbers and still receive no error. I have attempted working offline and double-checked to ensure it recognizes the wireless internet connection - which it does.

I do not currently have and have never had any anti-virus programs installed on my computer. I have logged into my email through my browser and deleted all emails from all of my folders, closed Windows Mail and then re-started it to no avail.

I would just upgrade to Windows Live Mail, but I already did that once before when I was experiencing other problems with Windows Mail, and that program has also stopped working correctly so I had to go back to Windows Mail. Therefore, it appears that if I cannot get this issue resolved, I will be stuck using my browser (which is not very user-friendly) and my iPhone. Needless to say, I am quite frustrated with Windows Mail and Vista!

PLEASE HELP!

>> " The message could not be sent. An error has occurred."
That is only the first 2 sentences of the error message. It has no use for fixing the problem.
Please post the entire error message ..... verbatim.
Please do not paraphrase.

My Computer

I downloaded Malwarebytes, ran a scan (no objects infected) and restarted Windows Mail. Unfortunately, nothing changed. Any other ideas?

I already downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird and have it set up. If I cannot get my Windows Mail fixed, is there any way to import my messages from Windows Mail to Thunderbird? It only lists Oulook Express and Outlook as a source to input from, and when I use Outlook Express, it allows me to choose a folder but does not successfully import anything. Any suggestions with this?

My Computer

Well definitely recheck your mail settings and make sure they're the same on your account and in you mail client. And I'm pretty sure when you set up a mail account with Thunderbird it downloads all your messages into the application. Although there may have been an option you have to check to make it do that, I can't quite remember... yep if you click on your account and then click "view settings for this account" and...well, just read it here: IMAP Synchronization | it probably explains it better than I can.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    DELL - 27d90219 Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (DPMS), 15.3" (34cm x 19cm)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Portable 320 GB used for separate storage of media, plugged into USB port as needed.
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touchpad, + Logitech wireless mouse (USB)
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
    Usually have low HD free space left (<10 GB), often left on overnight. I really push its capabilities.
Back