windows mail worked great yesterday but not today?

misskittykats

Hi, new to the forum...

I have had windows mail on my vista computer for over 2 years and has worked with no issues.. send/receive mail using dial up a good portion of the time, my cell phone for tethering (alltel), neighbors broadband, other cable service providers when our of state visiting relatives, etc., and have had not had to change anything in the account settings from my current and 15 year ISP mail provider (aceweb).

I use this alternative ISP provider to maintain a 15 year old email address for the webpage for customer to contact me even though I have used various other sources for getting on the web.. and have had no issues between the two sending and receiving mail til yesterday.

I just recently (3 months ago) obtained high speed internet from Frontier and for the past 3 months have been using their high speed access but still been using my alternative ISP provider name for the mail portion through Frontier with no issues like I said again til yesteday.

I spent more hours than I care to say today between my ISP provider (aceweb) and Frontier trying to find out why I can receive mail and not send mail. I think I have tapped these geeks capabilities with this and don't have anywhere else to turn.. both Frontier and Aceweb are pointing fingers at each other saying it's each other's problem.. but here I sit with no outbound mail and for a biz that hurts.

And I cannot make the change to Frontier mail since as I said, I have 15 years utilizing this aceweb mail address for the website, not to mention bank accounts, friends, relatives, forums, etc. etc. etc... I mean making the change is really just out of the question and if I has been all along why suddenly stop.. so seems to me I should be able to get it back up and running again.

What have I done.. I have rebooted the computer, performed port checking with portchecker and canyouseeme.org, but times out before it can check the port 25 or 110. I have taken out nortons antivirus, checked with telnet at the command prompt for the ports.. 25 is not accessible but 110 is.

I have purged the port as per the tech on the phone today.. performed winsock? Deleted the mail account and recreated it. Changed the smtp to be frontier.com.. didn't work. Changed the port to 25, 465, 587 and 26 and other settings respectively, still no work.

Been all over the web for support and tried different things.. including exempting windows mail from windows firewall as well as port 25 but did reinstate the port... but kept windows mail exempt.

Has pretty much consumed my day from sunup til about 2 am now.. and am at wits end.. am hoping someone can give me some insite.. so yes I am using a DSL connection to get on the web but using a diff mail provider for the mail access than Frontier. I know supposedlly a no no but has been working now for about 2 years with various providers for getting online.. so does work... why not now, reason I am here.

So, keep that in mind when you send me ideas.. oh almost forgot went to windows to download the latest patch from windows mails for this specific problem but just lets me validate my windows and never does download the patch... I forget the number but as I said for this specific mail issue.

And did I state I can receive mail but cannot send.. oh and went to aceweb site and send and receive mail with no problem so know it's not them blocking port and I can send and receive mail with cell phone tethered but suddenly today cannot send with the frontier high speed connection and Frontier says they cannot help me since it is another ISP mail I am using not theirs.. but they are happy to take my $100 each month!

Appreciate any help here! :cry:

Thanks
misskittykat :D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
    CPU
    900 Celeron
    Motherboard
    not sure
    Memory
    3 gig ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    not sure
    Sound Card
    not sure
    Monitor(s) Displays
Hello misskittykats,
Welcome to the forum, since your email worked before the MS updates , try this for starters, do a system restore back to before the Windows updates. Use this please : http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html?filter[11]=Backup%20Restore
Once this is done, check if your Email works as it should with the setup from your Email ISP as they should be set. Post back and we can go from there to further diagnose your issue .

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Emachine ET 1161-05
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640
    Motherboard
    eMachines MCP61PM-GM (Socket AM2 )
    Memory
    2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 387MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Acer E181H (1280x768@60Hz) 128MB GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name Acer E181H on NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Screen Resolution
    1280x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ST316081 5AS SCSI Disk Device
    PSU
    MCP61PM-GM 9000 NVIDIA Chipset Model MCP61 Chipset Revisio
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Fan Speed 1247 RPM
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Internet Speed
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1538974261.png
Hey, YardDog.. thanks for the response. But, boy do I feel dumb that should have been one of the 1st things I should have thought of and if not me then the techy people! Going to try that right now and let you know... keep your fingers crossed.. Gosh could it be so simple!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!

misskittykats
:shock:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
    CPU
    900 Celeron
    Motherboard
    not sure
    Memory
    3 gig ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    not sure
    Sound Card
    not sure
    Monitor(s) Displays
Well, I sure would have loved to have written backe to say that reset the
restore point fixed my mail problem but did not and I am back to square one...bummer! Thanks for trying.

misskittykat

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
    CPU
    900 Celeron
    Motherboard
    not sure
    Memory
    3 gig ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    not sure
    Sound Card
    not sure
    Monitor(s) Displays
K, try this. manually un install the updates. Then reset your e-mail server settings for ports required. Just remove the updates for your email and lets see if you can get the e-mail reset. If you look in your windows mail , in tools, then accounts, then highlight your windows email and look in properties for proper settings.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Emachine ET 1161-05
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640
    Motherboard
    eMachines MCP61PM-GM (Socket AM2 )
    Memory
    2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 387MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Acer E181H (1280x768@60Hz) 128MB GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name Acer E181H on NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Screen Resolution
    1280x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ST316081 5AS SCSI Disk Device
    PSU
    MCP61PM-GM 9000 NVIDIA Chipset Model MCP61 Chipset Revisio