Windows Messenger Live Call Feature

enigma1944

I signed up for the Live call feature and I can't get it to work. I can make a call, hear it ring, but when it is answered they can hear me but I can't hear them. I did
the connectivity test and it says I am blocked because I am using a Non-UpnP
firewall. I am not using a router with this laptop. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

My Computer

To resolve this issue:
  1. Download and install the most recent version of Windows Messenger. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:http://messenger.microsoft.com/ (http://messenger.microsoft.com/)
    The latest release of Windows Messenger includes updates that resolve several issues that involve voice functionality in Windows Messenger.

Note To have a voice conversation in Windows Messenger version 4.6, both parties must be using Windows Messenger version 4.6 or later. Neither party can be behind a non-compliant firewall or NAT device.
  2. If you are trying to make a phone call from Windows Messenger, download and install Windows XP Real-Time Communication Client Support for NAT.

For additional information about this update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 316397 (Windows XP Real-Time Communication Client Support for Network Address Translation ) Windows XP real-time communication client support for network address translation
  3. If you are running the Zone Labs ZoneAlarm program and want to make a phone call from Windows Messenger, configure ZoneAlarm to permit outbound traffic to e450.voice.microsoft.com.

For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 320783 (Error Message: "Your Network Is Configured Such That You Can Not Make Phone Calls" with ZoneAlarm ) Error message: Your network is configured such that you can not make phone calls
  4. Verify with the manufacturer of the firewall or NAT device that the device is UPnP-compliant. If not, contact the manufacturer to determine if a UPnP update is available. For example, if your network uses a Linksys EtherFast-series router, contact Linksys to obtain a firmware update that adds UPnP support.

For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 324243 (Error Message "Your Network Is Configured Such That You Can Not Make Phone Calls" with a Linksys Router ) Error message 'Your network is configured such that you can not make phone calls' with a Linksys router
  5. If you can complete your phone call or voice or video conversation successfully with your firewall turned off, your firewall may not be UPnP-compliant. Too use voice and video communications with Windows Messenger through a non-UPnP firewall (such as Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000), you must configure the firewall to permit incoming traffic on UDP ports 5004 through 65535.
  6. If you are behind a Linksys NAT router, you must open ports on the router to permit the voice and file transfer traffic that you want. The following table lists the ports that you must open to permit the MSN file transfer or voice connections:Collapse this tableExpand this table
    ServiceTCP portsUDP portsIncoming voice (computer to computer)69016901Voice (computer to phone)
    6801, 6901, 2001-2120File transfer (receiving a file)6891-6900

Note In the "File transfer" cell, 10 ports are opened (ports 6891 through 6900 inclusive) so that you can perform 10 file transfer operations at a time. If you open only one of these ports, you can only transfer one file at a time.

You cannot make phone calls or start voice or video conversations with Windows Messenger

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dual Core 3.6 Extreme
    Motherboard
    MSI P4n Diamond
    Memory
    4GB OCZ Platinum
    Graphics Card(s)
    X2 7800GTS MSI
    Sound Card
    N/A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    36" TV
    Screen Resolution
    16:9
    Hard Drives
    X1 Raptor
    X1 1TB WD Sata
    PSU
    800Watt
    Case
    Thermaltake Kandalf
    Cooling
    Water (Big Water)
    Internet Speed
    10MB
To resolve this issue:
  1. Download and install the most recent version of Windows Messenger. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Essentials - Windows Live (Essentials - Windows Live)
    The latest release of Windows Messenger includes updates that resolve several issues that involve voice functionality in Windows Messenger.

Note To have a voice conversation in Windows Messenger version 4.6, both parties must be using Windows Messenger version 4.6 or later. Neither party can be behind a non-compliant firewall or NAT device.
  2. If you are trying to make a phone call from Windows Messenger, download and install Windows XP Real-Time Communication Client Support for NAT.

For additional information about this update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 316397 (Windows XP Real-Time Communication Client Support for Network Address Translation ) Windows XP real-time communication client support for network address translation
  3. If you are running the Zone Labs ZoneAlarm program and want to make a phone call from Windows Messenger, configure ZoneAlarm to permit outbound traffic to e450.voice.microsoft.com.

For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 320783 (Error Message: "Your Network Is Configured Such That You Can Not Make Phone Calls" with ZoneAlarm ) Error message: Your network is configured such that you can not make phone calls
  4. Verify with the manufacturer of the firewall or NAT device that the device is UPnP-compliant. If not, contact the manufacturer to determine if a UPnP update is available. For example, if your network uses a Linksys EtherFast-series router, contact Linksys to obtain a firmware update that adds UPnP support.

For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 324243 (Error Message "Your Network Is Configured Such That You Can Not Make Phone Calls" with a Linksys Router ) Error message 'Your network is configured such that you can not make phone calls' with a Linksys router
  5. If you can complete your phone call or voice or video conversation successfully with your firewall turned off, your firewall may not be UPnP-compliant. Too use voice and video communications with Windows Messenger through a non-UPnP firewall (such as Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000), you must configure the firewall to permit incoming traffic on UDP ports 5004 through 65535.
  6. If you are behind a Linksys NAT router, you must open ports on the router to permit the voice and file transfer traffic that you want. The following table lists the ports that you must open to permit the MSN file transfer or voice connections:Collapse this tableExpand this table
    ServiceTCP portsUDP portsIncoming voice (computer to computer)69016901Voice (computer to phone)
    6801, 6901, 2001-2120File transfer (receiving a file)6891-6900

Note In the "File transfer" cell, 10 ports are opened (ports 6891 through 6900 inclusive) so that you can perform 10 file transfer operations at a time. If you open only one of these ports, you can only transfer one file at a time.

You cannot make phone calls or start voice or video conversations with Windows Messenger
Thank your for your response. I checked the Windows Live Essentials and I am running on Messenger version 14.0.8064.026. I will complete
the remaing instructions you provided shortly and post the results. Thanks again.

My Computer

Back