Windows Update Error 80070424

Windows Update Error 80070424 in Vista

All aspects of this error -how to fix

Vista80070424.jpg

This error may be caused trouble with following services

-Backgroung Inteligence Transfer Service
-Windows Update
-Windows Modules Installer

[digg]http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/258701-windows-update-error-80070424-a.html[/digg]

SOLUTION

Go to Start>>Search>>services.msc
and check below services exist, have correct settings and are working

BITS :Automatic(Delayed),started

Windows Update : Automatic(Delayed),started

Windows Modules Installer:Manual

If you have another settings you have to correct it.If you can't correct settings or any service don't exist follow below:

SCENARIO I

Issue with Background Inteligence Transfer Service

See this tutorial How to fix Background Inteligence Transfer Service

SCENARIO II

Issue with Windows Update

METHOD I

//worth only to try if service is available but you can't start it//

Try reset the whole WU in aggresive mode KB971058

METHOD II

//worth only to try if service is available but you can't start it//

Try reinstall Windows Update Agent KB949104

METHOD III

Import to registry special fix for Windows Update service attached here View attachment WU.zip
and next restart computer

SCENARIO III

Issue with Windows Modules Installer

---------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI

Another symptom of this service corruption is unable to run System File Checker.
When you run any SFC command the following error is returned:

Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you need to fix:

1.Fix to registry for Windows Modules Installer services:View attachment TrustedInstallerFix.zip
//this ZIP file include TrustedInstaller.reg file //
2.TrustedInstaller.exe file appriopriate for your system.You can extract it from your own Vista DVD using 7-zip or WinRAR CLICK
or claasic method using WAIK CLICK -your choose how to do that :sleepy:

or just download & extract from already prepared ZIP files;appriopriate for your system

for x32 View attachment TrustedInstallerX86.zip

for x64 View attachment TrustedInstallerX64.zip

3.Sometimes you will need Psexec.exe file cointained in PsTools if you have any trouble with importing fix to registry (details below)

How to fix:

1.Download TrustedInstaller.reg and TrustedInstaller.exe (appriopriate for your system),TrustedInstaller.reg file you can place anywhere for example you can place on your desktop,Documents folder (as you wish).File TrustedInstaller.exe you have to place directly in C:\Windows\Servicing folder but you have to change permissions to do that because Administrators group nor you don't have full control for Servicing folder:

-takeownership C:\Windows\Servicing folder and add your account to have full control

//see this tutorial how to do that:CLICK

-place TrustedInstaller.exe in C:\Windows\Servicing folder

2.Import fix to registry attached above (just double click on TrustedInstaller.reg file).Possible you don't have any problem with importing it,if it won't return any error ignore points 3 and 4 and go to point 5 ,if it return error "Acess denied" the best way to workaround it, import this fix from SYSTEM account (go to point 3).

3.Download PsTools ,extract from this psexec.exe file and place it in C:\Windows\System32 folder

4.Run cmd.exe with administrative previlliges (right click on cmd.exe as admin) and type:

psexec -s -i -d regedit

This command run regedit from System account.In regedit go to File>>Import,navigate to location where you store TrustedInstaller.reg file,choose it and apply.

5.Restart computer.After restart Windows Update should work fine now.
6.If everything work fine now restore oryginal permissions to C:\Windows\Servicing folder

-remove your account from permissions to Servicing folder
-Restore ownership of Servicing folder back to "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"

//see this tutorial how to do that CLICK

Attachments

• thumb_Windows_Update.png
    thumb_Windows_Update.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 439
Last edited by a moderator:
The log is empty -no errors detected.
1.Uninstall all 3p security software,reinstall Windows Update Agent How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer
2.If point 1 doesn't help,reset system transaction logs CLFS transaction logs - Reset - Windows 7 Forums[2]=General%20Tips

when you say 3p security software- you mean '3rd party'? you mean like Avast antivirus, Ad-Aware, but not Windows defender- I need to uninstall Avast & Ad-aware? (I only use Windows firewall other than the firewall that's inbuilt into my router)- are you referring to any other type of 'security' software?

If you already replaced TrustedInstaller.exe you don't need repeat this step.If you have already Windows Modules Installer service and it working you don't need enter fix for this service too.It's clear.

I didn't yet put back the TrustedInstaller.exe file in the Servicing folder (at least I don't see it in the Directory anymore)- to clarify- you're saying I should put it back there (by turning off UAC etc)? If so- should I import TrustedInstaller.reg as well (as in your original steps, using PsExec.exe and the command prompt)? I looked in services.msc & I don't see either
BITS or 'Windows Modules Installer' listed- they don't seem to exist

Thanks again Flavius- I am very grateful for your support and sharing your wisdom

My Computer

when you say 3p security software- you mean '3rd party'? you mean like Avast antivirus, Ad-Aware,
Yes.
If you already replaced TrustedInstaller.exe you don't need repeat this step.If you have already Windows Modules Installer service and it working you don't need enter fix for this service too.It's clear.
I didn't yet put back the TrustedInstaller.exe file in the Servicing folder (at least I don't see it in the Directory anymore)- to clarify- you're saying I should put it back there (by turning off UAC etc)? If so- should I import TrustedInstaller.reg as well (as in your original steps, using PsExec.exe and the command prompt)? I looked in services.msc & I don't see either
BITS or 'Windows Modules Installer' listed- they don't seem to exist
In this case you have to really again apply my fix.Disabling UAC will not help.Import TrustedInster.reg by using psexec tool.Import also fix to BITS service (in the same tutorial)

My Computer

I definitely cannot install Windows security agent whilst Avast AV & Ad-aware are installed? nothing else needs uninstalling- correct?

when you say apply your 'fix'- you mean specifically to add the TrustedInstaller.exe file to my 'servicing' folder as well as import the trustedInstaller.reg file, yet I don't need to turn the UAC off in order to 'takeownership' of the servicing folder? Should I try this fix again before uninstalling 3rd party security software & reinstalling Windows update agent? sorry this is getting so ccomplex, yet 'fixing the BITS service' is in which tutorial under what link?

Thank you

My Computer

I definitely cannot install Windows security agent whilst Avast AV & Ad-aware are installed? nothing else needs uninstalling- correct?
Because you don't have Windows Modules Installer and BITS unable to install Windows Update Agent.Leave this step,first you have to fix missing services.Maybe uninstalling 3p security soft won't be neccessary,fixing all services will resolve all issues.

when you say apply your 'fix'- you mean specifically to add the TrustedInstaller.exe file to my 'servicing' folder as well as import the trustedInstaller.reg file,
Naturally.

I don't need to turn the UAC off in order to 'takeownership' of the servicing folder?
It's unecessary move,you don't need to disable UAC to change permissions :sarc:
In my tutorial are useful links how to change permissions.

'fixing the BITS service' is in which tutorial under what link?
In current tutorial in SCENARIO I is link to issue with BITS

Here you go
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/2...ligence-transfer-service-fix.html#post1183550

For you applicable is method III

My Computer

it's WORKING! Thank you sooo much Flavius for your Masterful Guidance- you freaking ROCK!

one last question- I didn't run the Windows Update Agent yet- before I remove 'take ownership' (I used the takeownership.reg file to do so 'automatically') do I need to run the Windows Update Agent (for 64 bit systems) now for any other reason? (I'd rather not uninstall any 3rd party security software if possible if it's still worth running it)

(PS: when I downloaded the Add_Take_Ownership.reg file - it actually downloaded as Add_Take_Ownership.download for some reason- I had to change the file type manually from .download to .reg, yet it seemed to work OK- I guess the same will be true for the Remove_Take_Ownership.reg file as well)

thanks again!:D

My Computer

PPS: do I still need to reinstall the Windows Modules Installer service? If so, how?
I don't understand this :sarc:!You've restored both services already or not? If you've restored both services and Windows Update working you don't need to do that any more.

My Computer

yes- the windows updates issue does seem to be working ok-thank you (further to placing the TrustedInstaller.exe file in the servicing folder and importing the TrusterInstaller.reg & BITS.reg files via PsExec.exe & restarting-I'm very happy- it's just that I checked services.msc - I do now have Windows Modules Installer service listed though it's set to 'manual' - should it be set to 'automatic' for example? Though I apparently imported the BITS.reg file I still don't see it listed as a service in services.msc- Also as it was originally one of the steps you suggested and as I didn't yet use it, I just don't really understand what the Windows Update Agent executable file does and if it will clear anything further up that may not be obvious- I'm only asking, as I have a very limited understanding of this whole subject & though it appears to be working OK now, I am just checking that nothing important is missing or needs to be done to finalize it :confused: otherwise if not, I'm just going to run the Remove_Take_Ownership.reg file to complete once & for all- thanks for your patience & understanding with me

My Computer

I do now have Windows Modules Installer service listed though it's set to 'manual' - should it be set to 'automatic' for example?
Defaultly Windows Modules Installer service is set to manual and it's normal.OS start this service when used Windows Update or "Turn Windows Feature on or off" -never more.

Though I apparently imported the BITS.reg file I still don't see it listed as a service in services.msc-

It doesn't make sense what you said.Prepare log from VistaSysInfo http://www.vistax64.com/software-tools/176785-vistaforums-sysinfo-tool.html

(select all int his tool).Log attache to post.

My Computer

I went throught the whole reg process just to thank you. After a week of trying this and that from all over the net. This worked like a charm. But you have to be careful when extracting The .exe into the servicing folder. Don't ask me why but it kept extracting as .reg. I had to copy the .exe into the folder (not extract). Good luck everyone.

My Computer

please Flavius help me!!

I have error 80070424 and I'm not able to repair it!
Done the scenario 3 the error turn to 80073712 and I downloaded from microsoft support "the system update readiness tool x64" 152 MB... I started it and the installation was completed... reboot the pc but when there is the window "upgrade 3 of 3, 0% don't close the pc" my pc reboot automatically and do this everytime and don't works!

now I was able to restore it and it works again but with error 80070424!

how have to do?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion a6670it
    CPU
    AMD phenom x3 64
    Memory
    4 GB
    Hard Drives
    western digital 320 GB
please Flavius help me!!

I have error 80070424 and I'm not able to repair it!
Done the scenario 3 the error turn to 80073712 and I downloaded from microsoft support "the system update readiness tool x64" 152 MB... I started it and the installation was completed... reboot the pc but when there is the window "upgrade 3 of 3, 0% don't close the pc" my pc reboot automatically and do this everytime and don't works!

now I was able to restore it and it works again but with error 80070424!

how have to do?

You have restored system where you have damaged trustedInstaller,Really you don't you have good check point just before installation?.If you don't have then unfortunatelly you have to repeat all steps from my article :( in scenario 3.When you will fix again TrustedInstaller then please for precaution create new check point http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76332-system-restore-point-create.html

Additional warnings:

1.Don't install all updates at once,split them into small groups,let the one group consist with 5 updates.

"upgrade 3 of 3, 0% don't close the pc"
neverless if you ever time you will have the same issue again,below is alternate solution (without system restore)

Here you go:

Lets try to reset the windows update catalog and software distribution folder
Try following steps :
1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then restart the computer.
2. When you are prompted to restart from the disc, press any key.
3. When you are prompted, configure the Language to install, Time and currency format , and Keyboard or input method options that you want, and then click Next .
4. On the Install Windows page, click Repair your computer .
5. On the System Recovery Options page, click the version of the Windows Vista operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next
6. On the System Recovery Options page, click Command Prompt .
7. Type cd C:\windows\winsxs , and then press ENTER.
8. Type ren pending.xml pending.old , and then press ENTER.

• Type regedit, and then press ENTER.
  • Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  • On the File menu, click Load Hive.
  • Locate the following folder: C:\windows\system32\config\components
  • When you are prompted for a name, type Offline_Components.
10. In Registry Editor, locate and then delete the following registry subkey:
HLKM\Offline Components\AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
HKLM\Offline Components\PendingXmlIdentifier
HKLM\Offline Components\NextQueueEntryIndex
11. At the command prompt, type exit to exit Registry Editor. Press ENTER.
12. Click Restart
This solution was before in KB949358, but it has been removed due to undentified reason,nevermind

More details how to do that I described in this thread from post 14. http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/247305-vista-x64-error-code-80070424-a-2.html

My Computer

first of all Flavius I was able to restore in last good point my pc with error 80070424....

the upgrade is about only the tool of 152 MB I not think there were others upgrade in the same time....

but rebooting the pc when it's installing the upgrade and on monitor there is " upgrade 3 of 3, 0%" suddenly it's reboot itself and do this everytime....

I haven't the Vista disk only the recory disk of HP and a backup done 1 year ago!

when there is error 80073712 there are also other way to fix the problem?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion a6670it
    CPU
    AMD phenom x3 64
    Memory
    4 GB
    Hard Drives
    western digital 320 GB
when there is error 80073712 there are also other way to fix the problem?

MS about this error Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80073712"

But from my experience this error sometimes can relate to damages in WinSxS too,when you will fix TrustedInstaller please run sfc /scannow tool and create sfcdetails.txt (below more)

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html

,and run again readiness tool,this will create CheckSur.log file in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder

Both sfcdetails.txt and CheckSur.log attache to post.

My Computer

so Flavius thanks so much for your time...

now I done again trustedinstaller and again error 80073712... then I done sfc/scannow in command prompt as administrator and after a while ask me to reboot to make effective the changes... I reboot the pc but again the error "upgrade 3 of 3, 0%" rebooting itself at this point...

now restored the pc again! I 'm going crazy!

Vista recovery disk burned the last week! :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion a6670it
    CPU
    AMD phenom x3 64
    Memory
    4 GB
    Hard Drives
    western digital 320 GB
Back