Windows Update Not Finding NEW UPDATES

RAZERHEAD69

The last time windows update found anything new to download was 4 weeks ago on Sept.9.I manually update at least three times a week.When I try to update it goes through the normal 30 second or so search routine but all I ever get is No New Important Updates Are Available For Your Computer statement.
I have gone to hidden updates and was able to download an update that was about 2 months old with no problem.I have Malwarebytes and VIPRE security so I normally have Windows Defender turned off,but on two seperate ocaisions I have turned Windows Defender back on and Windows Update searched and found updates and I had no problem downloading and installing them.It even found the update for the newer Windows Update that I agreed to and insalled.
My computer is a VISTA Ultimate 64xbit and is kept up to date as much as possible.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

My Computer

Is your Windows Auto Update Service enabled?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD AM2 6000+
    Motherboard
    Nvidia M2N-E SLI
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 7600GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WD
    Case
    Cooler Master
    Cooling
    Three fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Quietkey
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 MBPS
I haven't seen many 64 updates since SP2 came out.I think because the 1st update they put out for it zapped a lot of peoples computer :eek:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway
    CPU
    intel quad
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
    Sound Card
    realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19' widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    581 gb
    Internet Speed
    High speed Comcast cable
Is your Windows Auto Update Service enabled?
I normally use windows update manually every two days or so and there is almost allways a couple of important windows security updates as well as other updates that it finds that I click on to install.But so far for about a month now there have been no new important updates to install and that doesn't seem right.
I have enabled Windows Auto Update for a few days but that hasn't found any new updates to install either.Unless there really have been no updates in the past 4 weeks,then something is wrong.

My Computer

Just curious. You didn't happen to install the Microsoft Security Essentials, did you?.
For me, a LOT of the updates I was getting were for Windows Defender,and MSE disables Defender after it is installed. Defender updates were coming every day or at least every few days, but after installing MSE, my updates virtually stopped since Defender isn't used anymore.

My last "regular update" was on 9/8 also. Everything else is from Defender, up until I installed MSE.
Also, the MSE Definitions get installed while unnoticed in the background.

This is what mine looks like over the last month, including the background updates for MSE. There hasn't been anything else since.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built( I will never "buy" a PC)
    CPU
    AMD Phenom2 XII 560
    Motherboard
    Biostar A780L3L
    Memory
    4GB DDR3-1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    xfx 9800 GT
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB
    Cooling
    2 front, 2 back,one side
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless LX310
    Internet Speed
    18/2 cable
    Other Info
    Opera/Chrome / EPSON Stylus nx420 / Microsoft Security Essentials / CCleaner / Malwarebytes / OpenDNS / Paint.NET / 7-Zip / Windows Live Mail Client
MWRED,thanks for your reply,but no I am not using MSE and never have.But I did upgrade to Windows Exployer 8 on April 30 if that is part of the problem if there is a problem,and it seemed to be working fine up to now.9-9-09 was the last day that I recieved any windows security updates with a total of 7 updates.But as I mentioned before,I have been using the antispyware VIPRE and having Windows Defender turned off since April and I was still getting software and other updates at least twice weekly untill about a month ago.Could a currupt registry be the problem? I read something about that but I think they are just trying to sell me a registry cleaner like ccleaner, and if that is the case then I will have to take my computer to a pro for help.

My Computer

Well, I have the same thing here. I haven't had an update since 9/8 (excluding Defender and MSE). So It doesn't seem to be only you. Although i'd like to see what others have had for updates over the last month also.

Ya never know.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built( I will never "buy" a PC)
    CPU
    AMD Phenom2 XII 560
    Motherboard
    Biostar A780L3L
    Memory
    4GB DDR3-1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    xfx 9800 GT
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB
    Cooling
    2 front, 2 back,one side
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless LX310
    Internet Speed
    18/2 cable
    Other Info
    Opera/Chrome / EPSON Stylus nx420 / Microsoft Security Essentials / CCleaner / Malwarebytes / OpenDNS / Paint.NET / 7-Zip / Windows Live Mail Client
Well, I have the same thing here. I haven't had an update since 9/8 (excluding Defender and MSE). So It doesn't seem to be only you. Although i'd like to see what others have had for updates over the last month also.

Ya never know.
Well,to MWRed and to others in this forum who took the time to read and for some to respond to my percieved problem let me say thanks.I appears that I was trying to solve a problem that never existed in the first place.Apparently their just were not any security patches to download untill TODAY.
I read on my homepage that microsoft released 34 security updates today,the 13 of October.So I knew that if windows update still didn't find these updates then I definately have a problem.Well, it found and installed 12 important security updates and I am now as they say a happy camper.

My Computer

I had the same issue. A previous update was corrupt on my Laptop. I went through hours of troubleshooting and going through all tips and helpful hints.

Do yourself a favor - Backup and Re-install Vista!

My Computer

Back