windows updates stopped browsers working

DaveRVD

since installing the latest windows update (approx 7-12 maybe more) days ago, my 3 browsers have stopped connecting to the internet (My internet is connected fine by wifi - skype works fine, it's just firefox/chrome/ie that does not work)

I performed a system restore to before the updates where installed, and ie worked fine - after installing the updates again, IE failed to work again - so i system restored again and turned automatic updates off

Is this a known issue?
It would seem very clear that windows updates have caused this issue, is there a fix?

thank you, please help if you can!

My Computer

Welcome Dave
You are half way there. It was not all the updates, but only one that has caused the problem. If you are happy with the way the the computer works now, set the update to notify. When notified, install one at a time, if it works install the next. In that way we will know which update is the problem. Possibly it does not even have to be installed.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
thanks for replying, I will carry out the one-at-a-time method and see if I can pin point which update is causing the problem, I forgot to mention that there are also microsoft parental controls on the laptop - could this be an issue/glitch? (not that any settings have been changed to cause the IE not working)

thanks

My Computer

Those updates have caused problems for many. I had to use an image of my OS to reinstall after an update problem. I think that it is one of the updates or trying to install them all at once. I think that we will resolve the problem after you attempt to install one at a time.
At this juncture, I doubt if Parental Controls can be held responsible

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thanks for replying again,

Those updates have caused problems for many. I had to use an image of my OS to reinstall after an update problem.

When you say "those updates" - Do you mean the specific updates from last week/10-12 days ago? (or do you mean updates in general from any era of time)

I will post my results/findings of the one-at-a-time method as soon as I can (laptop isn't with me right now unfortunately)

Thanks again

My Computer

I work here and our affiliated Seven Forums. From time to time a member will ask for help with the updates, due to problems. I am actually on Windows Seven and about 2 months ago, I could not boot after the updates froze and I had to force a shutdown. It is not only the current batch that causes problems. I would suggest that you permanently set updater to notify and install a few at a time. That is the best way to avoid problems. I will say, however, I have never seen a problem similar to yours.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thank you for your time and knowledge, much appreciated -
I will be sure to set updates to 'notify'

I will be back shortly with my update - thanks

My Computer

After we resolve your current problem, you are invited to come to our Forum to learn or just have fun. You will always be welcome.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays