Solved Windows vista (32bit) KSOD/Can't reinstall windows

Sol7

Hello.
I have an Acer Aspire 6920G, which has recently developed a KSOD. It could be related to AVG, since it was prompting me to restart for a while before I shut down the computer. However, after attempting several fixes, (including renaming all of AVGs folders and the driver) I decided to just reinstall windows. After backing up my files with a Linux live CD, I noticed a problem. On this laptop, you can only reinstall windows through D2D (Disc to Disc). In my carelessness, I failed to notice one of the attempted KSOD fixes had reverted the Acer MBR to the Windows MBR, stopping me from booting into the hidden D2D partition (and the windows recovery tools). I have no other way of reinstalling windows, so I thought I'd ask what I should do here. From what I see, I either have to restore the Acer MBR (which seems impossible without windows) fix the KSOD, then fix the MBR in windows, or figure out how to boot into the hidden D2D partition Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sol

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Graphics Card(s)
    ATi Radeon HD 3650
seeing as you are running a factory made machine, im guessing you don't have an actual vista installation disc. in that case, i would try and either bring it to a tech and see if they can do something or bring it back to acer. try installing a different AV once you get it back.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Phenom ii 940 - 3.60GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
    Memory
    Kingston HyperX 2x2GB 1066MHz 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4870 1GB
    Sound Card
    N/A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonix VX2240w
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm
    PSU
    Corsair AX850
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooling
    Scythe Mugen 2 rev.b
    Keyboard
    Das Keyboard Silent Professional
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    iunno.
Unfortunately, the laptop is no longer under warranty, I can't send it back. And I don't have a vista install disc, should have mentioned that.

My Computer

System One

• Graphics Card(s)
    ATi Radeon HD 3650
Hi Sol7,

I just got off chat with Acer about your situation - spent about 20 minutes. Suggested options like using Recovery Disk Command prompt to revise MBR, booting to Ubuntu and revising MBR, slaving drive to another PC to use something like EasyBCD to revise MBR, and any possible other means of accessing the partition without eRecovery and every option was shot down. I was told the only choice was to purchase a Recovery CD from them. You can try to chat with them yourself, but I don't think it will do any good.

We could try to repair the KSOD and then fix the MBR, but there's no telling how long that will take as we have no idea of the cause and it seems like you have very limited access to the system to help diagose the problem and then fix it. It may not be possible to diagnose or repair under these conditions (and may even be a hardware problem that a restore won't cure - but let's hope that's not the case). Given it is only $20 or so, I think the Recovery Disk option is the best choice.

Your only choice is to purchase a set of Manufacturer Recovery CD's for your computer. That'll cost about $20 or so per the rep - which isn't too bad. Can be ordered online but can't be downloaded - CD's are sent by mail. Make copies once you get them just to be safe. Then you can do the system recovery from the CDs and that should also restore the option to use the partition (assuming it's still OK). It may also repair the KSOD (unless it's a hardware problem and something else to deal with). But remember you lose everything in this process. Here's where to start: https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=Acer.

You may be able to backup your important data first. Try: Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

P.S. Once recovered, I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials as your primary AV running in real-time http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx. I also recommend you run Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ every couple of weeks to catch anything MSE might have missed.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Hi Lorien. The recovery CD seems to be the way to go, and fortunately I've already backed up my files. Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it, especially since you spent so long talking to Acer. I'll also use the anti-virus you suggested. Thanks again!

My Computer

System One

• Graphics Card(s)
    ATi Radeon HD 3650
Hi Sol7,

It was our pleasure - I'm glad we could help.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words - they are appreciated. I think you've made wise decisions.

When you feel it's appropriate (perhaps now or maybe only after you've successfully recovered with the disks), don't forget to close out the thread by clicking the far right triangular icon at the top of your post and typing "solved" in the box and submitting it. The moderators will notice and put a green check next to the thread title. That way others seeking answers by searching the forums will know that this thread contains a solution to the issue identified in the title - and people seeking to help will not waste time checking out this thread since it has been resolved.

And welcome to Vista Forums! Now that you know where we are, bookmark the site and post anytime you have further questions or problems or if you just want to browse and learn (especially the Tutorial section offers some excellent advice on a wide variety of topics) or even if you want to try to help answer a question if you happen to see one where you know the answer and it hasn't already been posted. While it most likely won't be us the next time (though it might), there are many very skilled, experienced, knowledgeable, and friendly people here who, like us, volunteer their time to help others and one or maybe even several will respond to your post to assist you. While there are other forums on the web that do this sort of thing, you've now found what I think is the best (and I've posted in and/or checked out quite a few) so don't lose this link - you never know when it might come in handy again.

Good luck and best wishes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem