Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Hey njnitehawk,

Did replaced the failing HDD solve the problem?

Steven

to dmex:

as of this moment i have not been able to install sp1

maybe because of this problem i encountered: posted on hardware and devices forum

i have a new system(see info below) 1.5 months old
my wd 500 gig sata 11 is failing
i have been running into problems installing sp1
d/l several times
i bought sp1 from ms
i have run tests with one care it stated no problem
i ran sfc it stated some errors that could not be fixed
i ran other test on line also stated no problem
i d/l wd diag tools it stated a problem
i called wd support they confirmed the hd is failing
my question is could i have known about this hd failure from the beginning or
the way things happened was the only way
and could the hd being defective be my problem for not being able to install sp1
i would like to help myself as well as others not knowing that there is a solution

My Computer

the hdd is coming and hopefully

sp1 as well i will let everyone know

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    homegrown
    CPU
    intel core2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte x38t-dq6
    Memory
    4gb ddr3 Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce 8800gt 512mb
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC889A codec
    Monitor(s) Displays
    samsung 21.3 screen
    Screen Resolution
    1024 by768
    Hard Drives
    500gb wd hd

250gb wd hd
    PSU
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX
    Case
    -
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Keyboard
    microsoft wireless keyboard 7000
    Mouse
    microsoft wireless mouse 7000
    Internet Speed
    cable 850
    Other Info
    pioneer dvd-rw dvr215d

lite-on cd-rw sohr

creative inspire pt7800 7.1

plus 2.1 addtional speakers

hp officejet j5750
ok demex i'll give that a try ty,

EDIT: well now can't even get to first base this way lol i try to run vista upgrade dvd and it comes back vista quit running. can't even get the install screen. maybe this comp would make a good boat anchor lol what can i try next?

Have you tryed booting the DVD from the BIOS before Vista loads?

Steven
steven won't that wipe/format my harddrive?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Pentium 4 820 / 3.0 GB, 32 bit, dual core, 2MB's L2 ca
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Intel Edition, 800 MHz FSB
    Memory
    2 DDR II SDRAM - Non-ECC, 533MHz, DIMM 240 pin, Unbuffered, Two DDR channels
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS, DDR SDRAM, 256 DVI
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme music
    Hard Drives
    1 x 250 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-150 -7200 RPM
    1 x 320 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-150 -7200 RPM
    Mouse
    logitech wireless trackball m/n t-ra18

You can Install Vista over-the current installation without deleting/wiping your Hard-Drive, just don't select the option to format the HDD and Vista will rename your user folder to another location for safety...

You should always backup your files onto another Hard-Drive or CD/DVD before changing anything anyway ;)

Steven

My Computer

It is not Vista giving you problems - it is the HP preloaded junk and their lack of writing good drivers that gets you in trouble with SP1.

It is a documented fact - most drivers that were not ready for SP1 have issues, and a good many o those drivers simply need to be uninstalled and then re-installed in order to have a good working machine.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
Well, I don't really recommend this service pack because when I install it my laptop start having problem.

The problem that I have is that after I finish installing the service pack and when I put my laptop to standby mode and then I try to wake up my laptop and it won't wake up anymore.

So, I decided to uninstall the service pack and my laptop is fine now

I don't really recommend this service pack or can someone help why it does that after I install the service pack.

My Computer

Well, I don't really recommend this service pack because when I install it my laptop start having problem.

The problem that I have is that after I finish installing the service pack and when I put my laptop to standby mode and then I try to wake up my laptop and it won't wake up anymore.

I don't really recommend this service pack or can someone help why it does that after I install the service pack.

Hi mrl3321,

You really should be using SP1, without it you will not benifiet from the performance and stability updates or the updated security ...You are leaving the door open to spyware or viruses to infect your machine and it will cause more and more problems for you later on if you dont update :eek:

After you install SP1 you just need to update your laptop BIOS and chipset drivers (most important two) plus any other drivers available...Once this is done you should be able to use sleep again ;)

Steven

My Computer

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

I think your right? because I had search all over the net and all I have to do is update my bios, so thank you so much

Hi mrl3321,

You really should be using SP1, without it you will not benifiet from the performance and stability updates or the updated security ...You are leaving the door open to spyware or viruses to infect your machine and it will cause more and more problems for you later on if you dont update :eek:

After you install SP1 you just need to update your laptop BIOS and chipset drivers (most important two) plus any other drivers available...Once this is done you should be able to use sleep again ;)

Steven

My Computer

Re: Windows Vista Service Pack 1

You can Install Vista over-the current installation without deleting/wiping your Hard-Drive, just don't select the option to format the HDD and Vista will rename your user folder to another location for safety...

You should always backup your files onto another Hard-Drive or CD/DVD before changing anything anyway ;)

Steven

i finaly tried reloading vista and still have not been able to install vista sp1.
is a clean intall of vista next?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Pentium 4 820 / 3.0 GB, 32 bit, dual core, 2MB's L2 ca
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Intel Edition, 800 MHz FSB
    Memory
    2 DDR II SDRAM - Non-ECC, 533MHz, DIMM 240 pin, Unbuffered, Two DDR channels
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS, DDR SDRAM, 256 DVI
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme music
    Hard Drives
    1 x 250 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-150 -7200 RPM
    1 x 320 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-150 -7200 RPM
    Mouse
    logitech wireless trackball m/n t-ra18
I have had Service Pack for a while and I have used it without any problems so far. The only problem was that.. well.. there were no problems :S

It's always recommended to get service pack and updates because it increases your performance and computer's security.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Pentium 4 OC'd to 3.0GHZ and a Pentium Dual Core E2180 @2GHZ
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-***** and a ASUS model
    Memory
    768MB DDR1 / 2GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    RADEON 9800 PRO / NVIDIA Geforce FX5200
    Sound Card
    Intel built-in AC'97 Audio / Realtek High Def Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 913V/213BW / Acer X193
    Screen Resolution
    12**x10** / 10**x7** / 16**x10**
    Hard Drives
    1: 320GB SATA
    2: 20GB SATA
    3: 40 GB SATA
    4: 150 GB SATA
    PSU
    Not sure
    Case
    ASUS ASPIRE / HP Pavilion 754n / Custom
    Cooling
    Not sure
    Keyboard
    NeXXTech Office KeyBoard / Acer Keyboard / UNITECH
    Mouse
    Razor DeathAdder / Logitech Wireless / Acer Wheel mouse
    Internet Speed
    100MBits per second
    Other Info
    Happy right now ^^
Microsoft finally wised up to the fact that their update package was causing millions of system crashes after installing the updates. Now they have you install SP1 first thing. Only took them about 9 months to figure that one out.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E6750
    Motherboard
    EVGA 780i
    Memory
    GSkill PC6400 @ 1000MHZ 4 4 4 12
    Graphics Card(s)
    280-GTX
    Hard Drives
    2X250 GB WD
Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
My system was working perfectly before I "attempted" to install SP1.
I've tried a total of 9 times. Each time it gets to "Installed 3 of 3 100% complete" then it does "error found reverting". It can't evern revert properly. I get things like:
Problem with winboot, doesn't even boot.
Have to repair windows
Loggin and CPU stuck at 50% untill I restart Netman service.

Been a real nightmare.
I've given up on this piece of crap software :-(

My Computer

Mikie, There is a way to install SP1. I had the same experience as you and I discovered a little program on the Microsoft website called MGADiag. This is a diagnostic piece of nonsense that is supposed to inform users whether they are using a genuine OS or otherwise. I downloaded it and fired it up. Three times it told me that my OS was not genuine, and on the fourth time it said all was O.K. !So, while it said all was O.K. I left it on the desktop and had my fifth try at SP1. There was no problem at all , and a colleague of mine has since successfully used the same workaround. And, incidentally, from being a silly joke of an OS which I was going to replace with XP, it is now really good and I like it a lot ! Try it, as they say on TV , it worked for me.

My Computer

Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
My system was working perfectly before I "attempted" to install SP1.
I've tried a total of 9 times. Each time it gets to "Installed 3 of 3 100% complete" then it does "error found reverting". It can't evern revert properly. I get things like:
Problem with winboot, doesn't even boot.
Have to repair windows
Loggin and CPU stuck at 50% untill I restart Netman service.

Been a real nightmare.
I've given up on this piece of crap software :-(

I suggest a reformat after saving what you can and then reinstall the Op system. IMO Microsoft will have you install SP1 now instead of the other update package which was in fact crashing computers by the millions.

Your problem with installing SP1 was that somehow your Op system was changed, SP1 checks for these changes and will not install if it's been changed at all from the original. You might try a systems file integrity check but best is to install SP1 on a fresh Op system installation if you don't want any problems.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E6750
    Motherboard
    EVGA 780i
    Memory
    GSkill PC6400 @ 1000MHZ 4 4 4 12
    Graphics Card(s)
    280-GTX
    Hard Drives
    2X250 GB WD
Guys, There will be no more abuse here...

mikiehahn, These insults are unwarranted considering he is the only one who suggested you try anything and considering your responses I see why no-one else wants to bother helping you... :shock:

We can spend a whole year trying to figure out what piece of software you used or what configuration setting you set... that's making SP1 fail but no-one can be bothered figuring our your PC usage history for that long...

SP1 is finding some serious errors and not installing......So knowing that....and minus spending the next year trying to figure it out......or spending hundreds letting a computer shop try figure it out......Start with a fresh and clean installation by reinstalling because thats exactly what they do to every 2000, XP, 2003, Linux, OSX or Vista machine returned to any Computer Shop...

Chevell, was correct about you reinstalling because its standard practice everywhere and used by IBM, Intel, Novell, AMD, Linux, Apple and many others...

They all do the same thing and reinstall a fresh copy ;)

Would you continue driving around using a blown tyre on your car or reinstall another one because only an idiot would keep driving a car with a blown tyre or continue using an installation he already knows is seriously *******...

Im installing Vista-SP1 on 20-50 machines daily then setting them up...I only see XP machines being returned for service or support, Considering the volume of business we do and from friends its obvious to me and others here on the forum that something is seriously malfunctioning with your Installation so like I said...Instead of spending a few hundred $$ letting a shop reinstall it... just do it yourself

You can fix your malfunctioning software and have SP1 installed within an hour of reading this so listen to our advice...stop complaining and insulting others and just do it... :sarc:

My Computer

Chevell and Mikiehahn,

Your posts have been removed and you both have received infractions for them. Please do not post anymore such posts unless you wish to be permanently banned.

Thank you,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Sorry, my mistake. I was looking for a little more than the standard Microsoft response "reboot if that doesn't work reformat". I like to know why my tire keeps going flat. Don't want to just keep replacing the tire when the real problem is the bag of nails in my driveway. Solved my problem without rebuilding my whole system, Thanks Zack.

My Computer

I have been trying for a solid 2 months to try and download this Service Pack update. I am having no luck what-so-ever. The only way I can even get my computer (not even 1 year old yet!) to start is to repeatedly press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. I know it is supposed to take an hour, but after 30 minutes I start getting this message !!0XC0190036!! 591/91360 Helppane.exe I am not a tech type person so I am really lost. Any chance the makers of this Vista Pack will just send out an updated disk? (Vista came loaded on my computer when I bought it so I don't have a disk.) Thank you so much for any help that comes my way.

My Computer

Back