• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows Vista won't boot, black screen and white mouse pointer only

My windows Vista Ultimate won't boot up, it only shows a black screen and white mouse pointer after the loading part, right before the windows logo circle appears glowing.... i also tried booting from the vista dvd but right after loading files screen another error shows up "windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer" " status:0xc00000e9 info: an unexpected I/O error had occurred"....... btw all this happened after the chkdsk utility cheked my disk for about 2 hours say "replacing invalid ID with default ID for file ###### for file 9".... how can i work this out?? also, safemod shows me the same black screen with white mouse pointer.... help please!!

patio

Vista Pro
Gold Member
Are you sure that is the error message ? ? 0xc00000e9 i didn't find many results on...
Was chkdsk interrupted before finishing ? ?
SATA drive or IDE ?

pooch

Old Dog
Vista Guru
My windows Vista Ultimate won't boot up, it only shows a black screen and white mouse pointer after the loading part, right before the windows logo circle appears glowing.... i also tried booting from the vista dvd but right after loading files screen another error shows up "windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer" " status:0xc00000e9 info: an unexpected I/O error had occurred"....... btw all this happened after the chkdsk utility cheked my disk for about 2 hours say "replacing invalid ID with default ID for file ###### for file 9".... how can i work this out?? also, safemod shows me the same black screen with white mouse pointer.... help please!!
It sounds to me like your HDD is failing,

Try checking the connection,

Try another hard drive, then you may possibly be able to save data from your
damaged drive by using an external case.

Try using another OS, CD/DVD and try Deleting/Formating your Hard drive. Linux dvd's are good for this

I hope this helps

Pooch

yes indeed that was the error message "0xc00000e9 " i searched about it and it has happened to many people, i couldnt find any way to repair it but just lose all my data and format the hdd, reinstalled windows n now im back with my computer =].... but im piddle cuz lost all my data,, had mad games and movies =[[[.. thank you's

patio

Vista Pro
Gold Member
Time to start thinking about a regimented backup strategy...
If data is important to you backups should be as well.

We have been running into lots of these KSOD's (blacK Screen Of Death). It has to do with the RPCSS key in the registry. Last known good, safe mode, and system restore generally don't fix it. Here is how to fix it:
How to fix the Vista KSOD (blacK Screen Of Death) | LogBlog

Also, when booting off the Vista DVD hit cancel when it is searching for the windows installation -- this might get you past the I/O error -- or clean the DVD, maybe it's scratched.

I would not worry about losing your data (unless you reinstall using "System Recovery" or a similar OEM process). It should all be intact on the hard drive -- you should look into getting a USB to SATA adapter (similar to this one: Newegg.com - Rosewill RCW-618 USB to IDE/SATA Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers). These are very handy (my company has two of these) because they let you take your hard drive out of your computer or laptop and use it on another computer as a USB drive. You can copy all of your important files off the drive onto another computer.