Wipe Free Space

pappi

Banned
CCleaner > Tools > Drive wiper > wipe...free space only.

What happens if I click the WIPE button?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    pavilion dv7-1170us
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    1 298.09 fujitsu G2 ATA Device
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced 102-key
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
It will overwrite all unused disk space. When files are deleted the space they previously consumed is not cleared but marked as unused. You will not be able to recover any files that were deleted and not in the recycle bin. That is what the function is designed to prevent. This is security measure with no other advantages. It will likely take a long time to run, particularly on a large drive.

If the drive has logical inconsistencies this function could cause serious problems. Not common but it does happen.

My Computer

Hi L....I am not sure I understand what you try to tell me.

My HD drive capacity[Local Disk( c: )is 298GB out of which 257 to 258 is free space(is that the same as unused space?). BTW, my RAM is 4GB(i'm not clear if it has relevance to this thread).

If I wipe free space, what happens? Do I lose it? I mean I end up with what(instead of free space)? what takes its place?

My confusion is because my understanding of free space is it's part of HDD that is unused and thus, available to be filled or used... same as blank...meaning there is nothing there to wipe out or erase. Therefore, does wiping free space mean eliminating that unused part of HDD? Which meanss I end up with no available space to use?. If I so think correctly, why on earth would CCleaner even create such application?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    pavilion dv7-1170us
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced 102-key
    Mouse
Wiping the free space just means overwriting it one or more times. This is generally used as a security measure so that "undelete" programs can't undelete a file to read it. I've used it a few times and as long as you only wipe the free space I believe this CCleaner feature is safe. And yes, "free space" is the same as "unused" when talking about the same partition.

There's no performance enhancement I know of. Just makes it harder to undelete files or fragments on the partition. Some people also periodically wipe the page file for the same reason.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
Free space is the same as unused space and is not being used by any files. But it may still contain data if the space was previously used by deleted files. Wiping free space will overwrite it with zeros and prevent recovery of any data it may have contained. Space cannot be removed from a drive. It is either used by files or unused.Wiped space be remain free space and available for use by new files.

This is a security measure to prevent recovery of deleted files. This may or may not be a concern for you.

My Computer

That's sort of right Pappi.

Think of your harddrive like a library. When you save say a book File it puts the data on to the shelf in the library. When you want to ed that book, you click the file.
What windows does when you click the file is it goes to the card catalog, reads the file location then goes to that location in your hard drive and gets the file.

When you delete a file... and empoty the garbage can, is Windows goes to the card catalog and rips up the index card. This frees up the location for a new file to get put there.

So the file is still writen on the hard driv e but windows doesn't have it's location anymore so it's "gone:".

CCCleaners option goes through the card catalog and finds the emp0ty locations and "erases" them by writing 1 and 0 over the spots. It does this because there are programs that can go through the hard drive and bypasses the catalog and looks directly on the hard drive for files and can bring them back to be used.
15 Free File Recovery Software Programs (Free Undelete Software)

This is how the Police find peoplkes unwanted and incdriminating evidence, but by using a wiper, thee atre so many 1 qand 0's writen over the un-used sppace these recovery programs can't piece them together.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dual L5639 // i7 950 @ 4.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Evga SR-2 // Gigabyte x58a-ud3r
    Memory
    12Gig Corsair XMS3 // 6Gig OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx 560 ti // gtx 260-216
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    OCZ aGILITY 3, 120Gig + Seagate 500Gig x 2
    PSU
    Silverstone da700 // Corsair 520hx
    Case
    Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra // Antec 900v1
    Cooling
    Twin CM Hyper 212+ // Noctua NH-u12
    Other Info
    Acer 8930 laptop with x9100...
Good to do if you are selling a computer but not needed for normal use. That is why CCleaner leave it unchecked by default.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
Hmmm....just as I thought I was getting the hang of it, I had to ask this sort of questions only to be made aware I ain't got it yet to fully comprehend these seemingly simple answers from all of you. Thanks, guys!

In other words, Free Space of HDD is not occupied by files currently being used(I presume they are located in the used space)but may contain data previously deleted which are still recoverable(by tools like Recuva)? What data? (I installed and then uninstalled Firefox. Are data from FF still in HDD?) Where are the totally useless orphaned software components stored?

I have no intention to recover anything I have deleted. Would wiping free space(and therefore totally emptying it of any data)improve PC speed? If so, is this better than disk defrag (which takes a lot of time)?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    pavilion dv7-1170us
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced 102-key
    Mouse
No it is not better than disc defrag .
Remember also if you are using an after market defragger like Auslogics you need to turn off the Windows defrag in task scheduler.
By default Windows won't defrag files larger than 64mb unless you run it from the cmd prompt with this command
defrag.exe c: -w
Note the 2 spaces 1 before c and 1 before -w

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
When files are deleted the disk blocks previously used will still contain the original data. They are not erased in any way. But these blocks are now marked as free and can be reused for other files. But since they contain the original data the original files can be recovered until the data is overwritten. In some situations this can be a security risk. Wiping free space erases unused blocks and prevents recovery. This is a security measure only and has NO performance implications whatsoever. But be aware that the Disk wipe process can take considerable time, particularly on a large drive. And if the disk has logical inconsistencies it could damage existing files. Not a common situation but it can happen.

My Computer

At cold boot before computing: Computer > HDD...right click Local disk( C: ) > Properties > Capacity 298GB/Free Space 258GB . That means 40GB is used space.

I remember when I bought it 5 yrs ago, my HD was supposed to have 320GB. I presume (320 - 298 = 22) 22GB was used by OS? And the 40GB used space is filled with all the documents, softwares, updates.. etc that I had installed .

If I wipe free space, what happens to these numbers (Capacity- 298, Free space-258)? My guess is they do not change. But since the free space is wiped out of (deleted but recoverable) data, would it improve speed, similar to speed gained by defrag?

Just to be clear, I am not discussing wiping the Local Disk ( C: ) although this is an option but its box is empty(unchecked) by default. .... but merely the free space part of it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    pavilion dv7-1170us
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced 102-key
    Mouse
You won't get a performance gain from wiping free space all you will do is make it harder to recover any deleted files.
It can still be done but it is harder to do.
Volume shadow copy service uses some space for system restore points and that may be where the 40 gig is used.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
You will never see the advertised space due to the bits to bytes conversion. 1024megs = 1Gig.
So a 320Gig hard driver is actually only 298Gigs for windows machines.

That's empty, then you take off your stuff.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Other Info
I like to think of a file system essentially as a database and the database contains information about the files both those you created and those used by the operating system. When windows "deletes" a file all it does is remove the entry about it from the database. The data is actually still on the hard drive until it is overwritten so with special software the files can be recovered. A secure overwrite of the free space removes all of the data from previously deleted files so that they can't be recovered. None of the existing files are touched. Keep in mind though that this will take a long time on hard drives that are mostly empty.

I hope this helps.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
The difference between the advertised space of 320 GB and the actual of 298 GB is due to the different definitions of what 1 GB means. Most drive manufacturers define 1 GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes while in Windows it is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 (powers of 2). Do the math and the numbers are very close.

From Windows view a disk wipe does nothing at all. All numbers relating to disk space that is used and free will be exactly the same. Performance will be exactly the same. All that has changed is that disk blocks that may have previously contained data now contain zeros. Windows and the file system has absolutely no interest in the contents of free blocks. The only difference is that previously it may have been possible to recover deleted files. Now this is impossible.

A disk wipe is a security measure. For all other purposes it does nothing at all.

My Computer

In my desperation to find IVT Bluesoleil2 1.3.0 driver for a newly acquired wireless headset, I downloaded some files from sites purporting to have the driver but all I got were some malwares and 36 infected files that fortunately MBAM successfully removed. Then I thought these files mmight still be sitting in the free space....so I wiped, finally. It took more than two hours. True, nothing changed performaance wise but I felt "cleaner"...like after a shower.

Now what am I to do with this headset that needs a driver?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    pavilion dv7-1170us
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced 102-key
    Mouse
What is the headset model and brand?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Other Info
The difference between the advertised space of 320 GB and the actual of 298 GB is due to the different definitions of what 1 GB means. Most drive manufacturers define 1 GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes while in Windows it is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 (powers of 2). Do the math and the numbers are very close.

From Windows view a disk wipe does nothing at all. All numbers relating to disk space that is used and free will be exactly the same. Performance will be exactly the same. All that has changed is that disk blocks that may have previously contained data now contain zeros. Windows and the file system has absolutely no interest in the contents of free blocks. The only difference is that previously it may have been possible to recover deleted files. Now this is impossible.

A disk wipe is a security measure. For all other purposes it does nothing at all.

I have some software that can recover data from wiped drives so it can still be done up to a point.
It can go back and recover data from drives wiped up to about 3 times.
Software is available mainly for law enforcement officials and not freely available to all.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
What is the headset model and brand?

ShengYun BH560 Bluetooth V3.0 + EDR Stereo Headset

But my grandson used it earlier playing games. Now that he has gone... again it does not work . I checked Device manager and apparently a driver was installed and the yellow warning sign is gone. Now it says "This device is working properly" ...only thing is it does not seem to work at all for me.

I must babysit again to know how he did it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    pavilion dv7-1170us
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced 102-key
    Mouse
ShengYun BH560 Bluetooth V3.0 + EDR Stereo Headset

But my grandson used it earlier playing games. Now that he has gone... again it does not work . I checked Device manager and apparently a driver was installed and the yellow warning sign is gone. Now it says "This device is working properly" ...only thing is it does not seem to work at all for me.

I must babysit again to know how he did it.

If you do get the answer, could you please pass on how. I have the same model. I just ordered the V3.0 EDR dongle that is supposedly compatible, but I have three already, not sure which generation. I have Broadcom BTW which has A2DP, but it won't recognize the hardware. My computer did recognize it after 4-5 attempts, but without the driver it hasn't worked. So I am going on the assumption it is the dongle, but I don't know that for sure.

My Computer

Back