2TB drive partitioned in 2 equal halves. One half shows near full but has under 50GB

Re: 2TB drive partitioned in 2 equal halves. One half shows near full but has under

thanks for your collective guidance. i've been delayed doing anything due to decision to purchase 2 TB external drive that I can use to reliably back this up with. new external drive formatted clean as single 2 TB partition. took 22 hours for full format. i expect to get back on the problem internal 2TB in coming week, and will post what i find. cheers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 531
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.81 GHz
    Memory
    3582 MB
Re: 2TB drive partitioned in 2 equal halves. One half shows near full but has under

I have run SeaTools DOS ( short test & long test ) and found no hardware errors. I have removed the second partition, expanded the F partition to include the entire disk ( i was not able to shrink it ). "Disk Management unable to shrink partition". I'll try Partition Wizard next. Renamed the partition disk 1. Odd to notice the differences between the size of the disk1/partition ( and utilization ) as reported by Disk Management and Properties. The partition/disk does have 200+ GB of data on it and has apparently been expanded beyond 931GB.

DiskManagement_Properties.JPG

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 531
    CPU
    Memory
    3582 MB

The new partition is an Extended partition and Vista is saying it can't shrink it. Unless I'm wrong, it's completely unusable. I think you have to delete the partition, vice trying to shrink it.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps

Used home version of Partition Wizard to create two partitions ( 600GB & 1.2 TB ). Reformatted the larger one which had no data in it. Windows "properties" now recognizes the partitions at their defined size and utilization. Seems to have solved the problem. Will report back in a few days when I'm sure.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 531
    CPU
    Memory
    3582 MB

Your results are similar to mine except that you managed to eke out more space. Hopefully, everything will be fine with your arrangement. I've had no problems with mine.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB