64bit Java released!

It seems Sun Microsystems have begun supporting 64bit versions of Windows including 64bit Firefox and 64bit Internet Explorer as of the 8th of December 2008 :party:

The JDK beta release has the 64-bit plugin, You can download it from here: Java Platform, Standard Edition 6u12 Binary Snapshot Releases

Edit:
You can test your 64bit Java with your 64bit browser here: Test whether Java is working on my computer - 1.5.0, 1.6.0

The other tools the JDK installs can be separately removed if your only after the plugin ;)

Last edited:
64 bit FF was definitely faster and more responsive on my system. That being said I had to revert back to a 32 bit browser because most of the FF
addons
that I tried installing were not compatible with 64 bit FF.

Hey Itjunkie,

You need this addon for X64 Firefox to install them X32 addons ;) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543

I use the Nightly Tester Tools addon to force install all the addons in X64 FF, If the button to add an addon isn't available just click "See all versions" on the Firefox addons site to install it, then click Force Install ;)

hi dmex are you saying the flash addon can be forced to install in minefield

cheers brad

Only if they are x64 builds.

Its very stable, no usses with any java applets yet :cool:

64bit firefox?Where i can find it?

Hey Panais,

64bit Firefox can be downloaded here: Download - Mozilla x86-64

The latest version is: Firefox-3.1b2pre.en-US.win64.installer.20081026.zip‎ (click to download ;))

There are 3 diff programs on this website. ( For 64 bit ) do I need to download all 3?
Thanks

You just need the Windows x64 self-extracting JDK file: jdk-6u12-ea-bin-b02-windows-amd64-p-08_dec_2008.exe

JDK will install two updates, the first being Java 6 Update 12 (64bit) this contains the 64bit java plugin for 64bit browsers, the second will install the Java SE Development kit (64bit) this can be uninstalled after if your only after the plugins ;)

The JDK components are unfortunately restricted from distribution so I cant host just the plugin for everyone to download until it gets released as JRE, I will try find a separate release not including the development kit ;)

Is that official mozila firefox website?
And if that is 64bit why when i install firefox-3.1b2pre.en-US.win64.installer
the default directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Minefield\??
Thanks!

No, because the Mozilla team is not currently making x64 builds - all x64 builds ***as of right now*** are private, tird party builds.

Hi,

Is this Firefox 64bit beta? or is it the proper program?

See above - you can find stable older versions of Fx that have made it through the x64 build process. I suggest you do a lot of searching and reading, and don't just download the first thing that you get linked to....

Hey Guys,

You need to download the JDK not the JRE release, it has the 64-bit plugin...This is for IE 64bit and Firefox 64bit all versions...You can test your 64bit Java with your 64bit IE/Firefox browser here: Test whether Java is working on my computer - 1.5.0, 1.6.0

Steven

Hi Steven,

The download for jre offline version works as well,

It normally just needs to restart the browser after install, if it is not working after this just follow the instructions for fault finding on the web site and search for java on your computer which it will find with a message something like found java ***** this is newer than.......... After this a restart of the browser is required and it works

Pooch

Correct, either the offline JRE or the JDK work - and since the offline version of the JRE is *so* much smaller, that is the wiser choice.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD