a disk read error occured press ctrl alt delete

ok well im on the phone now with hp they are going to pick up my computer and bring it to there service center to fix whatever is wrong with it.

Before you send it in, REMOVE the 2nd HDD (with your DATA), or you will lose all data. They do not need this drive. So take it out. Follow the walkthrough I posted.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
ok just got off the phone with hp they will be picking up my computer and hopefully replacing the hard disk. i do have some data on the bad hard disk that would be nice to get off so if there is any way to get it off even though it is broken?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    hp pavillon dv9000
ok yeah i was afraid that they might wipe out that hard drive too the guy said to back it up but i can't access windows so if i remove that they will still replace the otehr one and it wont void my warinty?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    hp pavillon dv9000
ok just got off the phone with hp they will be picking up my computer and hopefully replacing the hard disk. i do have some data on the bad hard disk that would be nice to get off so if there is any way to get it off even though it is broken?
No.

Not unless you can boot it. This data will be iretreivably lost if you send it in. Use the Paragon and create a bootable backup disk. You boot into it, and you can Image both Hard drives. This will at least allow you to perserve that data files.

The only other way is to fix it yourself. That way you are not without your computer for 4-8 weeks. Switch the hard drives, and partition and reinstall Vista onto the D: drive. that way you can still access the data on the bad drive and back it up without Booting into it.

Honestly, now that I know your Model #, this is a very easy fix. I can walk you through it, and then all you have to do Is send in just the bad HDD for replacement.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
ok well ill do what you said rive0108 about taking the hdd out unfortantley ill have to search for a screw driver becuase im in college and didn't think i would need a screw drivier but i may have to buy one. thanks to everyone for helping me but i have to go search for that screw drivier also will i need any other tools just to make sure?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    hp pavillon dv9000
ok well ill do what you said rive0108 about taking the hdd out unfortantley ill have to search for a screw driver becuase im in college and didn't think i would need a screw drivier but i may have to buy one. thanks to everyone for helping me but i have to go search for that screw drivier also will i need any other tools just to make sure?

Screw Driver, Vista DVD, Burn the Partitioner to cd, and switch the SATA HDD from AHCI to IDE in BIOS.

option to switch sata controller from AHCI to IDE

example

ATA/IDE Mode: <Native> [ Choices: Legacy, Native ]

Configure SATA as: <IDE> [ Choices: IDE, RAID, AHCI ]

After installation, switch IDE back to AHCI, then you will need to install this storage driver:

Vista x64 pavilion dv9000 Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers sata driver
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/license_agr.aspx?url=/17412/eng/IATA88ENU.exe&ProductID=2101&agr=Y&sType=&PrdMap=&DwnldId=17412&strOSs=150&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%2064&lang=eng

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
ok well if i can't find a blank dvd cuz im out and a screw driver this might have to wait till monday so i can get everything from home without buying it (i'm a poor college student). also in my computer manual it say the secondary hdd is designed for storage and is not configured as a bootable device. don't attempt to start up your computer from the secondary hard drive. i'm guessing by switching the hdd we will beable to boot up on the secondary hdd?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    hp pavillon dv9000
ok well if i can't find a blank dvd cuz im out and a screw driver this might have to wait till monday so i can get everything from home without buying it (i'm a poor college student). also in my computer manual it say the secondary hdd is designed for storage and is not configured as a bootable device. don't attempt to start up your computer from the secondary hard drive. i'm guessing by switching the hdd we will beable to boot up on the secondary hdd?
should be. a hdd is a hdd and it says "not configured" i.e, no boot config. A reinstall of Vista on it will put the BCD on the disk, and it will be bootable.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
ok im off to search the campus for a dvd and screw drivier hopefully ill be back tonight or tommrow if not monday i will have everything and will be one probably for some help with the hdd switching and setting it up.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    hp pavillon dv9000
hi i decied that insteed of sending my computer in i am going to just upgrade the hard to a 640gb drive and the ram memory to 4gb and just sell the computer and buy a new one. so unless anything else happens thanks to everyone that helped me with my problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    hp pavillon dv9000
I would best sell it. I had a HP Pavilion and had serious issues with it, they kept getting worse and each time I sent it in to HP it came back with pretty much just a clean install, I don't think they went near the hardware. (I'm presuming they knew what was the problem.) In the end it got to the point where my warranty expired and they couldn't do anything about it.

A friend of mine told me to go to a PC shop where he goes and he said the service is awesome. The guy there told me that Pavilion series is the ONLY series of laptop they don't sell (and this is a specialized store for laptops mostly, not like a generalized computer store, they focus on all laptops) He said it's cheap hardware and not good quality at all and he looked at it and told me my problem was unfixable, my hard drive was totally messed up (I couldn't copy files from it cause it went bad)

And if you notice they try to sell them everywhere for cheap, and it's true, look at any store online, and every store you go they have a special offer on a Pavilion and I know another person with the same laptop as me, I was so excited when I bought it so cheap and pretty good specs I told my friend back when I was in highschool and he got excited and bought the same one and he's had problems too and it sucks, I gave my laptop away in the end and bought a Toshiba, very satisfied, been using it for almost a year now and no problems, but you chose what works best for you and don't go for Pavilion that's for sure. HP made a really bad move with that one.

My Computer

Back