Blank screen at login

maddawg

I accidently turned my Dell laptop off while it was performing windows updates. When I restarted the laptop it goes to the login screen and then goes blank (i cant enter the username/password).

I have tried the following:
1. Starting in safe mode (same issue)
2. Using the boot dvd and trying the different options in there (Repair, Restore to safe point, Memory check).
3. Using the boot dvd I have tried several different restore points, including the original store point.
4. I have looked through every forum and every post I can find and cannot find any suggested resolutions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try next (other than reinstalling the OS)

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6500 running Windows Vista (32 bit i think)

My Computer

I accidently turned my Dell laptop off while it was performing windows updates. When I restarted the laptop it goes to the login screen and then goes blank (i cant enter the username/password).

I have tried the following:
1. Starting in safe mode (same issue)
2. Using the boot dvd and trying the different options in there (Repair, Restore to safe point, Memory check).
3. Using the boot dvd I have tried several different restore points, including the original store point.
4. I have looked through every forum and every post I can find and cannot find any suggested resolutions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try next (other than reinstalling the OS)

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6500 running Windows Vista (32 bit i think)

Hallo Maddawg, i have seen this fix before & it has worked for me.
If you disconnect your power source & remove your battery, then hold down your power button for 10 seconds.
Leave everything for 30 minutes, put battery back in plug in your power turn on your laptop and cross your fingers.
Hope this helps otherwise i am sure someone else will have better knowledge, but worth a try while waiting :huh:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett Packard, compaq presario CQ60-305AU
    CPU
    AMD Athlon QI-46 2.1 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Wistron 303C
    Memory
    2048 Mb DDR2 SD Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidea GE Go Force 8200M G / 256Mb dedicated grapics memory
    Sound Card
    MCP78S NVidea High definition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" High Definition Brightview Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1336x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK2555GSX ATA
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS2/Touchpad
If you disconnect your power source & remove your battery, then hold down your power button for 10 seconds.
Leave everything for 30 minutes, put battery back in plug in your power turn on your laptop and cross your fingers.
Hope this helps otherwise i am sure someone else will have better knowledge, but worth a try while waiting :huh:

Mitchell, thanks for your input. I am not sure what you resolution is trying to achieve, other than draining any excess electricity in the system.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

My Computer

Mitchell, thanks for your input. I am not sure what you resolution is trying to achieve, other than draining any excess electricity in the system.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

I think that the solution will do more than just drain electricity. It would probably forget the problem cycle and return to normal operation. I know the first thing that I do when I have a problem is turn the computer off and it usually works fine after boot.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Maddawg,
Dell machines usually have a series of lights and/or beep codes to help diagnose problems.
Not sure where yours are, but your user manual should tell you, and also give the reasons for different combinations of lights/beeps.
If you do shut your machine down and restart again, maybe have a look and see if any of these come up?
I know the lights and beep codes usually indicate a hardware issue, where yours sounds like a software issue, but I've had problems with my video card driver in the past, and it has come up on restart with a light combination..
FWIW..
Hope you have luck sorting out your problem.. I really don't like it when my 'puter isn't well..
:)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel (R) Core(TM) Quad 6600 @2.4GHz
    Memory
    4GB dual channel DDR2 667MHZ [4x 1024]
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic Dell PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    2 500GB Hard drives in a RAID 1 Mirror configuration.
    Keyboard
    Standard USB QWERTY keyboard
    Mouse
    Standard optical mouse
    Internet Speed
    Actual 2.2 Mbps
    Other Info
    Connected to DSL internet via ethernet via Netgear DGN2000 modem router.
    Also connected via ethernet to HP 8180 All-in-One Photosmart printer.
    19-in1 card reader and 1 DVD and 1 DVD RW drives
Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately the problem still persists. I am downloading the updated video card drivers and hope to get them installed, otherwise I think I am staring down the barrell of a reinstall...which means data loss :(

My Computer

Using the Windows Install DVD i managed to get to the command prompt and copy all my data files onto my USB drive.

Is there any commands I could run from the command line to help determine the problem?

My Computer

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately the problem still persists. I am downloading the updated video card drivers and hope to get them installed, otherwise I think I am staring down the barrell of a reinstall...which means data loss :(

you can reinstall vista without formatting.... Just put the dvd in your rom drive and choose installation.
Vista will do a new install and keep all your files in following directory C:\Windows.old

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    MSI P36 NEO2
    Memory
    4GB 5-5-5-12
    Graphics Card(s)
    8800GTS 512Mb Overclocked
    Sound Card
    5.1 surround sound
    Hard Drives
    500Gb Samsung SATAII XP
    500GB Samsung SATAII
    PSU
    1000W CoolerMaster power supply
    Case
    CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 case
    Cooling
    120mm ThermalTake Big Typhoon CPU cooler, 3 x 120mm exhaust
    Keyboard
    Wireless Keyboard and mouse 3000
    Other Info
    1TB WD My Book Office edition external drive x 2, Dual layer LG DVD-Rom burner,
    15 in 1 card reader
    Triple boot: XP, Vista Ultimate 64 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64
hello
you could try system restore from command prompt, rstrui.exe ... good luck..or sfc /scannow...to check for bad system files!

PS: I read one the other day, said take the battery out and boot from ac power only? (said it worked for him/her)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire 6930
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Hard Drives
    320GB