CHKDSK damages Partition Table

Noel, I've attached a file with the results since it would be tedious to scroll through the results in a CODE window.

The file name is NoelDPResults.txt and the 6 segments are separated with a string of "=" signs.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Retrofitted Refurbished Gateway
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 22-in Flat Screen Monitor
    Keyboard
    Logitech K350 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse
They all appear normal enough
Checking the filelist against the orphaned file list in the CHKDSK log, one commpoint of failure is apparrent.
All the affected files are dates 01/05/2008 (5th Jan) - although the list appears to be only a subset of the files of that date, it may give us a clue as to what's happened. On my system, the files are dated 22 Jan

Have you at any time used Windows Easy Transfer either to move settings into or out of this machine?

Some of these files, I can only find in relation to Server 2008 and/or Hyper-V - any comment on that?

Did you at any time have a Beta of Vista SP1 installed?

The only direct claimed 'solution' I have seen is a paid-for one, at Chkdsk finds the same corruption on every pass, but doesn't clean it up. - up to you if you want to risk your money on what may simply be a direction to reinstall.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
They all appear normal enough
Checking the filelist against the orphaned file list in the CHKDSK log, one commpoint of failure is apparrent.
All the affected files are dates 01/05/2008 (5th Jan) - although the list appears to be only a subset of the files of that date, it may give us a clue as to what's happened. On my system, the files are dated 22 Jan

Have you at any time used Windows Easy Transfer either to move settings into or out of this machine?
No
Some of these files, I can only find in relation to Server 2008 and/or Hyper-V - any comment on that?
I am not familiar with either of those so, consequently, I haven't used them.
Did you at any time have a Beta of Vista SP1 installed?
No betas, ever, of anything.
The only direct claimed 'solution' I have seen is a paid-for one, at Chkdsk finds the same corruption on every pass, but doesn't clean it up. - up to you if you want to risk your money on what may simply be a direction to reinstall.
By "paid-for", do you mean subscription to experts-exchange or do you already know that experts-exchange will charge me for the answer once I subscribe? There is a 30-day trial.

In regard to Vista corruption, I had tried System Mechanic and it did damage Windows. At the time, I was able to fix the problems I saw and I returned System Mechanic to the manufacturer. I had to wait 9 months to get my money back. I have also used SystemSuite 10, but that has never caused me any problems.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
All Registry 'Cleaners' are snake-oil products and should be avoided - the general theory being that if you don't know enough to make any required changes to the registry yourself, then it's better to leave well alone.
Automated systems need to know everything about every possible configuration - which is plainly impossible, so they make 'best guess' changes, rather than considered modifications, and will eventually get something major wrong.

As far as experts-exchange is concerned, I know one or two people who contribute there, and another one or two who are customers - generally, it seems to work for them, but I can't comment from personal experience.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
It's interesting that you noticed the similarity in the dates. I see that not files on my drive dated 1/5/08 are in the list of problem files and a few of the problem files have later dates.

I've compared the problem files to the install disk that I borrowed and found that many of the problem files are not on the install disk. This install disk does not have Service Pack 3 on it. Also, all of the files on this disk are dated 11/2/06. I don't think it will be much help here.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
All Registry 'Cleaners' are snake-oil products and should be avoided - the general theory being that if you don't know enough to make any required changes to the registry yourself, then it's better to leave well alone.
Automated systems need to know everything about every possible configuration - which is plainly impossible, so they make 'best guess' changes, rather than considered modifications, and will eventually get something major wrong.

The reason I never had a problem with SystemSuite is that I never let it do anything automatically. I'd let it come up with a list of what it saw as problems and suggestions and I made the adjustments on a one by one basis, mainly getting rid of orphaned entries that didn't point to anything or I was allowed to choose where to make the entry point. For any problems I wasn't sure about, I wouldn't fix them or I'd tell the software to ignore it.

With System Mechanic, I expected to be told what it was going to do, but it never gave me the option and never told me what it did. But it consistently found the same problem after fixing it, much like I'm experiencing now. I found that much of what System Mechanic did was aggregate the standard Windows Tools behind a pretty interface. I think that's why it didn't tell me what it was doing. None of the DOS commands tell you in advance or prompt you for input either.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse

The reason I never had a problem with SystemSuite is that I never let it do anything automatically. I'd let it come up with a list of what it saw as problems and suggestions and I made the adjustments on a one by one basis, mainly getting rid of orphaned entries that didn't point to anything or I was allowed to choose where to make the entry point. For any problems I wasn't sure about, I wouldn't fix them or I'd tell the software to ignore it.

With System Mechanic, I expected to be told what it was going to do, but it never gave me the option and never told me what it did. But it consistently found the same problem after fixing it, much like I'm experiencing now. I found that much of what System Mechanic did was aggregate the standard Windows Tools behind a pretty interface. I think that's why it didn't tell me what it was doing. None of the DOS commands tell you in advance or prompt you for input either.

As far as I am concerned it isn't worth the risk because a screwed up registry is a really big headache plus it really doesn't help a lot. There are safer and more effective ways to speed up your computer. My recommendation is to leave the registry alone and I am not the only one here that thinks that. Many reputable people on multiple forums say the same thing pertaining registry fixes: too much risk and not enough gain.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
NoelDP,

I found the page with the "rename" solution. The URL is Vista 64bit, sp2 chkdsk finds errors but won't correct them despite repeated runs

Would you please look at that thread and tell me what you think? It looks like the behavior the poster experienced is similar to what I have here. There are some parts of the instructions that confused me and I think there are a few instructions missing, but it looks promising.

Would I be able to do this by starting windows with an install disk instead of removing the drive to another machine?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
Well found, that man! :)

That looks feasible to me - although I'm pretty certain he took the long way round at it.
Let me do some playing to check that what I'm thinking is possible, and I'll get back to you.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
I *think* I have something that'll work. :)
Let me explain what I want to do.....
We know that all affected files are of a certain date with a .man extension, so we can narrow the surgery to files of that date.
What I propose to do is move ALL the files in that folder with that datestamp to a new folder, then run CHKDSK, and delete any files that reappear, then replace all missing files with nice clean copies :)

It seems to work on my test rig :) - but for obvious reasons it is risky, so it's up to you as to whether you want to take the risk. I'll understand if you don't feel up to it.

Here's the methodology in general terms - if you want to go with it, then I'll post back with the detailed instructions.

1) take ownership of the files concerned
2) Grant permissions to allow them to be moved
3) move them
4) run CHKDSK /F and check the results
5) delete any new files created by the CHKDSK
6) run SFC to put the proper files back in place
7) set permissions back if necessary
8) test the 'cure'

..and then celebrate (hopefully!)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
I *think* I have something that'll work. :)
Let me explain what I want to do.....
We know that all affected files are of a certain date with a .man extension, so we can narrow the surgery to files of that date.
What I propose to do is move ALL the files in that folder with that datestamp to a new folder, then run CHKDSK, and delete any files that reappear, then replace all missing files with nice clean copies :)
But not all files in the folder with that date are in the list of affected files. Also not all of the affected files have the same date. There is one from 1/3 and a few from 2/9.

It seems to work on my test rig :) - but for obvious reasons it is risky, so it's up to you as to whether you want to take the risk. I'll understand if you don't feel up to it.

Here's the methodology in general terms - if you want to go with it, then I'll post back with the detailed instructions.

1) take ownership of the files concerned
3) move them
4) run CHKDSK /F and check the results
5) delete any new files created by the CHKDSK
6) run SFC to put the proper files back in place
7) set permissions back if necessary
8) test the 'cure'

..and then celebrate (hopefully!)

Now I really wish I had an image program to make the image first so I could reverse this if it fails. I don't have a problem performing the tasks though. Would just backing up the files to another disk be enough so I can copy them back? I could use testdisk which seems to ignore permissions.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
I have 66 files in the folder with that date (or at least the date on my machine), and deleted the lot.
the machine happily rebooted, and the SFC run replaed all of them (which is the only reason I felt fairly confident about suggesting this method).
I actually create a new folder within the structure, and move the files to that (for much the reason that you suggest) rather than delete them outright.

What 'testdisk'?
I'd rather stick within Windows, because it's the Windows evironment that it corrupted, and this should (I hope) enable Windows to survive afterwards, whatever esle goes wrong.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
I have 66 files in the folder with that date (or at least the date on my machine), and deleted the lot.
the machine happily rebooted, and the SFC run replaed all of them (which is the only reason I felt fairly confident about suggesting this method).
I actually create a new folder within the structure, and move the files to that (for much the reason that you suggest) rather than delete them outright.
You lost me here. You have 66 files in a folder with a particular date (assuming on mine will be 1/5/08 and you can tell me which folder). Will I be able to include this files that are of a different date? You deleted them but then said you didn't. It appears that you created a folder to hold the files in question and simply moved the files into it. Is that correct? Then you rebooted and ran SFC. SFC then replaced the moved files from somewhere. I thought it was the source files we were moving.

What 'testdisk'?
I'd rather stick within Windows, because it's the Windows evironment that it corrupted, and this should (I hope) enable Windows to survive afterwards, whatever esle goes wrong.
TestDisk is a program mainly used to repair partitions, MFTs, partition tables, and boot sectors. It also will work in the directory structure and appears to not care about permissions. I made a backup copy of most of my files when the hard drive was frying itself and got alot of the system files in the process. It is freeware from CGSecurity. I used it to successfully fix partitions when Windows would not. There was one partition it couldn't find, but I already had the files copied off of it.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
Hmm - that looks useful!

Sorry - maybe I oversimplified a little....
Windows keeps 'backups' of all system files in the Winsxs folder for use when the system gets corrupted. (NOTE: it's not really that simple - it only looks that way!)

Your affected files are the system files - which are basically copies of the ones in winsxs, and CHKDSK keeps replacing the files improperly because of an error in the MFT. We have to force the system to rebuild the MFT in the critical area, so we're doing it by moving the affected files out, rather than deleting them, running chkdsk and then deleting any recovered files that are found, and replacing them from the winsxs store. Assuming everything goes right, we can delete the old files, and the system is back where it should be again.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
There's still something missing in your instructions. You want me to move the affected files out of the folder so Windows can replace them with the winsxs copies, correct? If we're letting Windows replace them with the copies from the winsxs store, then we aren't removing them from winsxs. If that is the case, you haven't said from which folder we are moving the files.

Here's what I understand so far:
1) take ownership of the files concerned in ___TBD___ folder.

3) move them to a temporary folder

4) run CHKDSK /F on next reboot and check the results

5) delete any new files created by the CHKDSK. I'll know this by comparing the list of files in the ___TBD___ folder to the files in the temporary folder I created.

Q: Is it necessary to reboot before running SFC? Y or N

6) run SFC /scannow to put the proper files back in place

7) set permissions back if necessary Q: How do I know if it's necessary?

8) test the 'cure' Q: Do I assume the test will be to run chkdsk /f on the next reboot to see if it keeps find the same index entries and recovering same?

This will be awesome if it works. I can't try this until this weekend so it would be nice to understand it start monkeying with it.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
Q5 - the CHKDSK will force a reboot anyhow, and will probably do one of its own. so no, at that point I don't believe another one is needed
Q7 - I'll specify tests we can do in the protocol
Q8 - that's the obvious test - along with another SFC
I'll work on it in the morning (my time - 5 hours ahead of you)
Thanks for asking the questions - it helps to clarify things for me as well :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Open an Elevated Command Prompt window
run the following three commands, and then leave the window open

Code:
TAKEOWN /F C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests /R /A
ICACLS C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dmanifests /grant:r Administrators:(F) /T
MD C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests\TEMP03

Open Windows Explorer
Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\migwiz folder
order the file list in date order by clicking on the column header
highlight all files with the date of 5th Jan 2008
right-click on the highlight and select Cut
right-click on the TEMP03 folder and select Paste

Close all windows apart from the Command Prompt
run the following Command

CHKDSK C: /F

answer Y to the request to run on reboot.
close the window, and reboot.

CHKDSK should run, and will probably reboot again.
once Windows is up, open a Command Prompt window, and run the following commands

DIR C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests /od >>%userprofile%\desktop\noeldir.txt
DIR C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests\TEMP03
>>%userprofile%\desktop\noeldir.txt

This will create a new file on your desktop 'noeldir.txt' - attach the file, together with a new copy of the latest WININIT event (for the CHKDSK results) to a response and await my feedback before doing ANYTHING else!

I'll upload a file to run (if necessary) to delete any found 'repaired' files
run that if necessary, and the next job is to run another CHKDSK, and see if the files are rebuilt again
run the CHKDSK C: /F and afterward, run

DIR C:\Windows\System32\migwiz /od >>%userprofile%\desktop\noeldir2.txt

This will create a second file - attach that to a reply and wait.
In theory, the second one should be clear, and we can then reset the permissions and ownership on the remaining files, run the SFC to replace the missing files, and check that all files are present and correct, and the system functions properly

Again - please ask questions before committing, if I've not been clear!

...if we do find that we missed any files, and this process works, we can repeat it later with new parameters :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
This isn't working the way you thought it would.

Open an Elevated Command Prompt window
run the following three commands, and then leave the window open

Code:
TAKEOWN /F C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests /R /A

The above produced multiple 'Success' lines and multiple 'Info' lines. The info lines all said a similar message: "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." The attached image named takeowncorruptfile.jpg was also displayed. (I wish I knew how to display it here.)

Code:
ICACLS C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\d[COLOR=Red]l[/COLOR]manifests /grant:r Administrators:(F) /T
The above command produced the result below:
Code:
processed file: C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests
processed file: C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests\AccessibilityCpl-DL.man
processed file: C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests\ActiveDirectory-WMIReplic
ationProvider-DL.man
C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests\ADFS-FederationService-DL.man: The file o
r directory is corrupted and unreadable.
Successfully processed 3 files; Failed processing 1 files
Continuing on.....
Code:
MD C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\dlmanifests\TEMP03
Open Windows Explorer
Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\migwiz folder -- I assumed you wanted me to go to ...\migwiz\dlmanifests since there weren't any files dated 1/5 in the migwiz folder.
order the file list in date order by clicking on the column header
highlight all files with the date of 5th Jan 2008
right-click on the highlight and select Cut
right-click on the TEMP03 folder and select Paste
At this point so many files failed to move that I stopped. There were 65 files last modified 1/5/2008. 15 of them moved. Only 6 of those were in the list of the problem files. All 50 files displayed the same error attached as moveerror.jpg. I did do one thing you didn't tell me to do. I used TestDisk to copy the remaining files to the TEMP03 folder since Windows would not move them. All 65 files are now in that temp folder. I tried to delete one of the "corrupted" files and Windows would not delete it either. It provided the exact same error as the "moveerror.jpg" image.

I think these files could be deleted from the Command Prompt but I have not tried since they will not end up in the recycle bin. I have not run CHKDSK yet. I felt it best to check with you before continuing.

I think I'm running out of time too. My hard drive momentarily dropped from Windows' view and in doing so damaged the partition again. I think the drive may be what's killing the control board. I need to get this image done quickly. Should I try to get the image done and then correct the image on a new drive? I was trying to correct the file system first to have a good image. I still haven't figured out which software to use.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
WOW!
That was certainly unexpected - but does explain a lot.
This sounds now like it may be a hardware problem - or a malware one.
Since you say you copied the files using testdisk - try deleting the originals in the dlmanifests folder using testdisk as well, then going back into Windows, and running SFC from there.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
TestDisk does not have an option to delete files. I attempted to use the copies TestDisk made to overwrite the "corrupted" entries, but I was told I didn't have permission. I checked the security tab of the file properties and found the message "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed" next to a little red ball with a white X. Online searches for these problems had me try disabling my Recycle Bin, enabling UAC, and using certain programs known to delete "undeletable" files.

My results:
Killbox.exe reported that the file did not appear to exist.
ZTreeWin said access denied with an error
DelInvFile failed with error code 1392 - corrupted or unreadable.

Disabling Recycle Bin and enabling UAC had no effect. I returned them to the previous state. I also tried deleting the files after booting into the start-up repair disk command prompt but that also failed.

I was tinkering with the idea of copying ALL of the dlmanifests files and folders to another folder and seeing if Windows or any other tool would let me delete the entire folder. The chances are that Windows will block the delete because of non-existent folders still existing in the directory.

This certainly could be a hardware problem considering the problems I've had with it, but all tests report that it is fine. If it is a hardware problem, then this issue should disappear if I can move the image to a new hard drive which is sitting on my desk waiting to be used. But being so new at backup images, I'm trying to devise a plan that I can follow.

I need free software so I can use it on both machines here. I need to be able to boot up once I remove the system drive. I need to be able to then copy that image onto a new drive. That's the immediate need. I'd like to use the same software to do periodic scheduled incremental backups and have access to those files individually if needed. There is plenty of software with 30 days trials, but I plan on using it alot longer than that. I keep getting sidetracked.

Right now, I'm using TestDisk to make an image of the Windows partition, but I still have no idea how to use that image. I've been up all night and will let this run while I get a few more hours of sleep. If you have any suggestions on software that would suit my purpose, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB