Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 22-in Flat Screen Monitor
    Keyboard
    Logitech K350 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse
I fear that with all this talk about the attachments, I might have lost NoelDP's interest. Are you still with me sir?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Retrofitted Refurbished Gateway
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
I've been lurking :)
Trouble is that it's been so long, I've forgotten whereabouts you are in the process, and what's happening now :(

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
I've been lurking :)
Trouble is that it's been so long, I've forgotten whereabouts you are in the process, and what's happening now :(

Back in post #133, about a week ago, you asked me to reset indexing and have FF clear the event logs. In post #135, I asked if you had already had me reset indexing and how do you get FF to clear the event logs. You haven't answered yet.

As far as what you were looking for, I don't know. I've asked but you had me run more tests without telling me. I thought you'd cleared the original problem already. I'm trying to get to a point where I can start imaging my device so the new image for the new drive won't be corrupted with the same problems. Meanwhile, I'm still not able to find a clear way to do the image and create a back up plan using free software. I just keep getting confused, but I'm not asking about that in this thread.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
I've been trying basically to eliminate as many errors from the system as possible - to make it worth having as an image :)

As far as the FF logs are concerned.... Remove recent browsing, search and download history | Firefox Help is probably what we're talking about here. (back up anything you want to keep first!)

As far as Search Indexing is concerned -I asked you to reset the Performance counters a while back (#123), one (or two?) of which is related to Search. I don't recall asking you to reset the index before (at least not since the original issue was seemingly resolved)

Overall, assuming the system is now behaving normally, it's a LOT better than when we started, and should be worth imaging/cloning now.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
I see what you're saying with FF. You want me to clear my cache and cookies. I've done that recently.

I haven't seen any problems in a while. Thank you so much for all that you did. Now I can move on to the next step and find some good free software that will do what I need.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Keyboard
    Mouse
You're welcome - feel free to come back if something ugly pops up!

Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
The partition table is still being damaged, but I'm not sure it's the CHKDSK that is doing it. Shall I just create a new thread? After I got my hard disk back with the new controller board, I started having trouble with boot-ups. I was constantly having to do startup repairs when I booted my computer. It was always the same message:

The partition table does not have a valid system partition.

I went ahead and replaced the disk, but I had to clone that disk to the new disk to retain my settings. I was always thinking that I had a damaged sector causing the problem. I'm having the same problem with the new disk. To make matters worse, I had to borrow an original Vista Home Premium disk from a friend to do the startup repairs. It's been in and out of its case so much that the center hole has started to split. I fear I won't have that disk much longer.

First, is it possible to make an exact copy of that disk and use that instead?
Second, what in windows writes to the partition table that could be damaging it? I thought it only read from it once it is created or purposefully edited.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A78-EM
    Memory
    4 GB