Comp. slower than it used to be...

Never...
I bought it early last year before I started in the 9th grade.

i personally use tuneup and love it.

use the 1 click maintance and schedule it to run once a week. keeps your system tip top shape.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CUSTOM BUILT BY ME
    CPU
    AMD PHENOM II X3 710 2.6GHZ Overclocked to 3.25GHZ Stable
    Motherboard
    Ecs Gf8200a Phenom-2 X4 Quad Core Mboard
    Memory
    8BG PC5300 4 x 2GB OCZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    PCI-E ATI HD 4670 1GB Overclocked 4GB Total
    Sound Card
    Onboard 7.1 HD AUDIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    55" Vizio LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 HD
    Hard Drives
    1TB Seagate, 1TB Hitachi, 250GB Maxtor, 250GB Seagate
    PSU
    Kingwin ABT-610MM Maximum Power 610 Watt ATX 12V
    Case
    GENERIC
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS7500-AlCu LED Universal CPU Cooler, 4 CASE FANS
    Keyboard
    MICROSOFT WIRELESS KEYBOARD
    Mouse
    MICROSOFT WIRELESS MOUSE
    Internet Speed
    CABLE 15MBPS
Never...
I bought it early last year

Theres your problem. Its going to take hours to defrag your pc. If you want you can stop 1 click maintance and do this:

1- Open Tune Up Utilities
2- Click on Increase Performance
3- Next click on Tune Up Drive Defrag
4- Then click on Next

TuneUp will then analyse your drive and show you a visual represntation of it and begin defragging. This will show you how badly fragmented your hard drive is. A picture of one of my partitions is below so you can compare:

View attachment 13826

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Theres your problem. Its going to take hours to defrag your pc. If you want you can stop 1 click maintance and do this:

1- Open Tune Up Utilities
2- Click on Increase Performance
3- Next click on Tune Up Drive Defrag
4- Then click on Next

TuneUp will then analyse your drive and show you a visual represntation of it and begin defragging. This will show you how badly fragmented your hard drive is. A picture of one of my partitions is below so you can compare:

View attachment 13826

Doesn't defragmenting your Hard Disk take up space on it? o.O Mine decreased to 28.6 from 2 previous tries (the first reaching 3.3% and the second reaching 9.9%)

AAA.jpg

My Computer

Your hard drive is pretty fragmented. Just allow that to run and once its finished run the 1 Click Maintenance again just to make sure.

Defragging should free up space on the hard drive as it consolidates all the files. Once you've finished doing that reboot your pc and you should notice you have more free space on your hard drive and also that your pc is faster.

My Computer

The process of defragging will take up space on your hard drive, but when it is done it does help with space.

And as stew2 said, reboot after the defrag. Never use the computer after a defrag until reboot has taken place.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1700
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1 gig GeForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Vizio 21" tv
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 terabyte sata in 1 partition
    Cooling
    fans that came with it
    Keyboard
    basic USB
    Mouse
    basic USB
    Internet Speed
    3 megabits on a cable modem, wired
*sigh* OMG! Can I play Unreal Tournament while this process is still taking place, but stop when it's around 95%? It is currently on 29.4%.

My Computer

*sigh* help me help you lol

Its best if you do nothing when the defrag is running as your hard drive is under constant use while its running. If you want then stop the defrag and use your pc as normal then when you go to sleep set the defrag running and leave your pc on. That way when you wake up in the morning your pc will be defragged and you can start the 1 click maintenance in the morning and then reboot your pc.

I run a defrag at least once a week and it takes less than 10 minutes to run. You do one once a year, so its going to take a while.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    i7 3770K HT ON 4.7GHz
    Motherboard
    P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    X-FI Forte + ATH-AD900
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x2 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200 / 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200W
    Case
    Lian Li PC-V1020A
    Cooling
    NH-D14: 3x140mm Gelid Wing 14: Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine Cherry MX Black
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs:
    Clevo Sager P170HM //
    17.3 Matte 1920x1200 //
    i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz //
    Dedicated GTX 485M //
    240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray //

Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0
Thats starting to look a lot better. Next run 1 click maintance and correct the problems it finds. This time it should take under 30 minutes to complete.

Make sure no other programmes are running so it can clean and defrag the hard drive properly. Once thats finished running do the following:

1-Open TuneUpUtilities
2-Click the increase performance tab
3-Click on TuneUp Registry Defrag
4-Follow the steps there and it will reboot your laptop and defrag the registry

My Computer

I'm done. I left the "rundll32.exe" running for 30 minutes before I decided to Shut Down my computer. While it was turning back on (after I pressed the power button) I was playing King of Fighters XI and by time I looked back it was on the logon screen, so I can't say what was going on during the startup. Once I moved my mouse (USB) nothing happened for about 2 seconds and then a tone of green lines outlined in black covered the screen. So I turned it off manually, waited 2 minutes, and turned it back on. Everything seems normal. I'm going to play Left 4 Dead again and see if their are any differences in how soon the lag comes (possibly do to the spawning system).

My Computer

WTH? My computer won't read my disks (Silverfall and Dark Messiah). >.<
What could I have done to make this happen?

EDIT: When I put a disk in it spins and the laptop vibrates, but then nothing happens. and it just stops. >.<"

My Computer

Did you do step 11 and disable services? If you did then you've most probably disabled a service vista needs.

EDIT: If you open Computer does it show your dvd drive there.
EDIT: In TuneUp System Control did you change the autoplay feature

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

My HD DVD-ROM Drive (G: ) is normally visible.
I don't even know where the autoplay feature is.

EDIT: I put everything that was on Disable back to Automatic, but I still had the same problem.

Last edited:

My Computer

So when you go into My Computer you can see all your hard drives and the HD-DVD Drive?

Oh and when you change the setting of a service you have to reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

My Computer

Ok, put your game disk in and then open that window again. The HD-DVD drive icon should then change to a disc or game icon.

My Computer

Silverfall has been in for six minutes and did the usual amount of vibration to my laptop, but the CD Drive (E: ) is not showing and the "Devices with removable storage" states that only 1 exists.

My Computer

You need to try and explain better so i can help, as im not fully understanding.

I take it both drives are visable like in the screenshot you posted, then you put in the SilverFall disc which is a CD. After putting in the CD the CD drive vanishes and you are left with only the HD-DVD drive visable. Is that correct?

My Computer

Back