Comp. slower than it used to be...

Ok try the following:

1- Place a music cd in the cd drive and see if it works
2- Place a HD-DVD movie in the HD-DVD drive and see if it works
3- Try a music cd in the HD-DVD drive and see if it works
4- Try your SilverFall game CD in the HD-DVD drive

My Computer

lol I only have one place to put a CD on my LAPTOP. And none of them worked. In fact the CD Drive won't show anymore, not even after I take the CDs out. >.<

EDIT: NVM about the CD Drive. It came back. ^^

My Computer

... WTH? O.O I put Silverfall back in, but now the two drives won't change or go away. The vibrations come and then nothing happens/changes (Please insert DVD of "Silverfall").

My Computer

Ah OK i did think it was some laptop you had with multiple drives lol

So with one HD-DVD drive installed it shows a CD-Drive icon and an HD-DVD drive icon in My Computer and has always done that. How strange but anyway........

Go to this link and download the driver software for your HD-DVD drive: HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers and more but dont install it yet. Next make sure theres nothing in the HD-DVD drive and reboot your laptop then do this:

1- Click the vista start orb and type Device Manager and hit enter
2-You'll see DVD/CD Rom drives click on it to expand it
3- Right click on your drive that shows up and click on Uninstall
4- After it uninstalls,reboot your laptop and let Windows detect the new hardware and install a new driver for you.
5- Once that driver is installed reboot your laptop again and then try a cd in the drive.
6- If that doesnt work then install the driver you downloaded and reboot your laptop then try a cd.

P.S im sorry this has happened, i use my guide on vista on every pc i install vista on and have never encountered this problem. But i will try to fix what has happened

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

So with one HD-DVD drive installed it shows a CD-Drive icon and an HD-DVD drive icon in My Computer and has always done that.
Actually, I don't recall ever seeing the CD Drive before today. lol And the CD Drive is no longer showing so... yay I guess. o.O

Go to this link and download the driver software for your HD-DVD drive...
I'm not sure what to download, though. @.@ HP Pavilion blah blah.

My Computer

OK dont download anything yet, you can do that later if its necessary. Just reboot your laptop just now and then go into the device manager and do as i said above (make sure theres no disks in the drive).

EDIT: i dont see a driver for your HD-DVD drive on the HP driver page. It will be on the CD that came with your laptop. So try what i said above and that should fix the problem but if it doesnt then use the driver off the CD that came with your laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

I don't recall getting a CD with it. I was sitting in McDonald's when I first turned it on, and I had to pick out certain settings I think. I don't really remember. Anyway, I didn't see anything popup on screen while I was watching my computer restart. But I guess it reinstalled automatically seeing as how I see it in DVD/CD-ROM drives (it had always been the only thing in there).

BET Awards!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!! *screams like a Jonas Brothers girl*

My Computer

Ok so you went into device manager and uninstalled it then rebooted. Your HD-DVD drive is showing in My Computer so do another reboot then try playing your game.

My Computer

S*** i dont understand why this has happened. When you uninstalled the drive and rebooted, once at the desktop an icon should have been displayed in the notification area of the taskbar saying that it was installing a driver. Did that happen?

If not try uninstalling it again. Remeber that once at the desktop and it installs the driver you must reboot before trying to put a cd in the drive.

My Computer

OK il be gone for a few hours but if what i said above doesnt work, do this:

1. Run "Windows Update" and install all "Important" and Recommended" updates and then reboot.
  2. Run "Windows Update" again and install any "optional" updates that are related to your HD-DVD Drive and reboot
  3. Check and see if your cd's works
  4. Run TuneUP 1 click maintance and when its finished reboot
  5. You can now check your hard drive for errors by clicking on the vista start orb and then clicking on Computer. You then right click on your hard drive and click Properties. Next go to the Tools tab and under Error Checking click on Check Now and tick both the boxes. Then click Start and reboot your pc.

My Computer

When you uninstalled the drive and rebooted, once at the desktop an icon should have been displayed in the notification area of the taskbar saying that it was installing a driver. Did that happen?
Nope.

I'm going to start the processes now.

My Computer

Uhm... (this is a possibly good "uhm") I uninstalled the drive. Shut Down. Waited a minute or two. Started it up. Logged On. Went to Device Manager. Saw the drive there. Three seconds later, the disk thing opens (like after a disk has finished burning). Should I reboot anyway or what? O.O *nervous break down*

My Computer

Uhm... (a good "uhm") I can now see DVD RW Drive (F: ). The last thing I did was "Run TuneUP 1 click maintance and when its finished reboot." :) Can I try it out (put in a game disk) or finish all of your recommendations first?

My Computer

You can try a game disc now but if it doesnt work then you should uninstall the driver and REBOOT your laptop. Let windows install the driver and then reboot again. Then go to the Microsoft Link i posted above and try the suggestions there.

My Computer

After the disk didn't work, I checked my hard drive for errors and restarted it. Now this is what I see in "My Computer." lol I know that I am complicating things, but should I now follow your last post like I was suppose to? XD

MyComputer2.jpg

My Computer

Yeah do exactly as i said in my previous post and that will hopefully fix the problem. So its an unistall then two more restarts plus probably microsoft will suggest a restart as well. :eek:

But doing that hopefully will fix it and rember to be PATIENT while doing each step lol.

My Computer

Back