High CPU usage?

I do appreciate your help a lot but i can't figure out where it logs a file and saves it. But whenever i do ctrl-c there is a list processed extremely quicky then the window corresponding to the picture above closes immediately.
But here's a file in the same folder which seems to give some kind of information!
Hope this helps!

Txt file attached!

Best radio ever! http://www.nrj.fr/

Attachments

• ODEUNST.LOG
    2.2 KB · Views: 32

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Extremex38 BIOS 1202
    Memory
    2 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ [email protected]
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Supreme FX 2 included with motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    300 GB Velociraptor, 10,000 rpm
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    USB Logitech Ultra flat keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
    Currently settings in BIOS are set to Auto. Disabled Speed Step & C1E only.
Don't run kernrate by double-clicking on it in Explorer. That will indeed pop open a console window, but that window will close immediately as soon as kernrate is done, as you've found out.

Make sure you're running KERNRATE by typing its name into an (elevated) CMD prompt. That way, the console window will not close when kernrate is done, and you should be able to copy the text it produces.

Also, you might want to first of all change the "properties" of the CMD window so that the text buffer is say 10,000 lines instead of the default 300.

Here's an example of what kernrate output normally looks like:
Antimail : Who hogs down my CPU?

My Computer

Hi

Sorry for taking long. Here's a screenshot when doing the scrolling thing with task manager then quickly tapping ctrl-c. I do hope we'll find the culprit now!

See attached picture.

Cheers mate!

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
Here's the same process done while gaming (because at both times i hear that noise near the processor while performing those tasks)

2 pictures attached:
-Untitled4- Screenshot taken while gaming with task manager running
-Untitled5- Screenshot while gaming but doesn't sync with untitled 4.This one was taken at a different instant)

Hope this helps!

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Untitled5.jpg
    Untitled5.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 33

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
Hey

If there's anything u need, just ask! Btw i just updated the BIOS. But all still the same!

Thanks for all the help up til now!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
Hi

Sorry for taking long. Here's a screenshot when doing the scrolling thing with task manager then quickly tapping ctrl-c. I do hope we'll find the culprit now!

See attached picture.

Cheers mate!

Once more please, but this time make the timing precise:

- start kernrate logging
- as soon as possible after kernrate starts logging, spend 60 seconds or so reproducing the high processor utilisation as drastically as you can by moving windows (no games - that introduces additional variables).
- stop kernrate logging as soon as possible after you finish reproducing the problem
- paste the new kernrate output here.

I suspect that your results indicate excessive time being spent in win32k.sys, but I'm not real clear on that. Those current data are ambiguous, which is why I'd like to see the results of the 60sec run I suggested above.

My Computer

Hi H2SO4,

Here's my best shot. As u can c the 3rd core is stretched pretty much while performing the task(stretching task manager). Although until the time i take the screen shot the CPU usage had time to go down to 2% from roughly 20-30%.

Note that at different periods diferent cores are stretched. For e.g if i restart and perform same task may be core 4 will behave like that under the stretching task performed.

Again thanx for comments stew2, i'll be working on it and c what happens.

Attachments

• Untitled7.jpg
    Untitled7.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 44

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
Hi H2SO4,

Here's my best shot. As u can c the 3rd core is stretched pretty much while performing the task(stretching task manager). Although until the time i take the screen shot the CPU usage had time to go down to 2% from roughly 20-30%.

Note that at different periods diferent cores are stretched. For e.g if i restart and perform same task may be core 4 will behave like that under the stretching task performed.

Again thanx for comments stew2, i'll be working on it and c what happens.

Kernel: 18.3%
User: 4.9%

win32k.sys (kernel-mode win32 subsystem driver) is resposible for most of it, closely followed by the kernel itself (ntkrnlpa), and then the HAL bringing up the rear.

This really smacks of hardware. The next step would be to "zoom" into the win32k and ntkrnlpa modules, to see which functions is the processor spending most of its time in, perhaps in the hope that the function names would offer some sort of clue.

If you don't figure out how to use the "zoom" functionality (it's a kernrate command-line switch), I'll type up some instructions tomorrow.

My Computer

I kindly would appreciate all the details for zooming! Again thanks a lot for the support. Really appreciating all the help here.

Hopefully things will be okay soon!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
I kindly would appreciate all the details for zooming! Again thanks a lot for the support. Really appreciating all the help here.

Hopefully things will be okay soon!

No problem, as long as you're not expecting a solution ;)

There's a practicality obstacle with "zooming" that's not simple to explain. Can you run kernrate again with precisely this command line:
Kernrate_i386_XP.exe -v 2 -w 10 -s 60 -m -z win32k -z ntkrnlpa >krLog1.txt
You might want to copy the entire line into notepad first, to strip off any font control codes which might interfere, and then copy/paste from Notepad into the command line.

That command will give you 10 seconds before the trace starts, to get ready to repro the problem, and then it will start tracing for the next 60 seconds, during which time you should be furiously resizing a window in order to make the processor util go as high as possible. At the conclusion of those 60 seconds, you should have a shiny new krLog1.txt file in the same directory. Can you upload that here please as I'd like to have a detailed look at it.

My Computer

Well, there have been changes my friend and I hope i won't be piddling you off!

Lately I re-installed windows vista with the hope of getting it to work with no problems in a very systematic(configured BIOS/reset/update..etc..) way. Anyway the same problem is still here and i just wanted to see if you're alright with it! Only thing which has changed is that am running two sticks of RAM=2GB and Vista x64 with all other compatible drivers for the other hardawre. I'll be doing the process you mentioned above as you said and post it but i wanted to say that if there are any other ways of proceeding since its now 64 bit just let me know. Once again sorry if this move of mine wasn't too wise!The thing is the origin of the problem hasn't changed though and that is why I thought of re-installing windows again in the hope of making it dissapear. I'm kind of impatient at times. Nothing can't ever work perfectly however much you spend and that pisses me off terribly..Anyways here we are.

Cheers mate!(will give you the results soon):)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
Hi again! Tried running the application but there seemed to be no hits recorded after doing ctrl-c. I guess its because of the 64 bit OS right?
Anyway let me know how shall i proceed and again sorry for change of situtions!

Here's a screenshot of the application using the ordinary "Kernrate_i386_XP.exe" and doing ctrl-c!
The same situation of resizing has been taken into consideration in this test too.

Hope it helps!

See attached picture.

Attachments

• Untitled8.jpg
    Untitled8.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
Well, there have been changes my friend and I hope i won't be piddling you off!

Lately I re-installed windows vista with the hope of getting it to work with no problems in a very systematic(configured BIOS/reset/update..etc..) way. Anyway the same problem is still here and i just wanted to see if you're alright with it! Only thing which has changed is that am running two sticks of RAM=2GB and Vista x64 with all other compatible drivers for the other hardawre. I'll be doing the process you mentioned above as you said and post it but i wanted to say that if there are any other ways of proceeding since its now 64 bit just let me know. Once again sorry if this move of mine wasn't too wise!The thing is the origin of the problem hasn't changed though and that is why I thought of re-installing windows again in the hope of making it dissapear. I'm kind of impatient at times. Nothing can't ever work perfectly however much you spend and that pisses me off terribly..Anyways here we are.

Cheers mate!(will give you the results soon):)

Oh, no problem from my end, I can understand you simply wanting a machine that works. However, as I said I suspect you've got hardware issues, and while I'm personally always keen on in-depth software troubleshooting, I don't believe there's an easy solution down that path - broken hardware requires replacements.

Now that you've got a clean 64-bit OS doing the same thing, once again, there's confirmation that it's got nothing to do with your previous batch of drivers. (Kernrate won't work on x64 currently.)

If the machine is under warranty, taking it back for servicing is the best bet. Otherwise, I'd suggest borrowing another video card and testing with that instead.

My Computer

My friend. I have one question which might solve all problems. I've been told that sometimes high end graphic cards like the 4870X2 not necessarily require high wattage like 1000W but whats most important is the current flow(Amperage)

Basically mine in a 780W with 60A across the 12V rail whatever that may mean.
Here in GPU-Z, an application that measures graphic cards details such as current clock speed etc tells me that under load it has a VDDC Current [A] of 59.6. But never over 60 though. Does this figure have anything to do with the 60A the power supply has on its rails!?!:huh:
Basically i've also been told that a graphics card at full load should'nt be reaching the power supply's limit if this is so in this case and that it may lead to unstable pc. Please let me know about your findings! Am a bit new to this technical stuff! Thanks again. Any other details are in my specs.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
My friend. I have one question which might solve all problems. I've been told that sometimes high end graphic cards like the 4870X2 not necessarily require high wattage like 1000W but whats most important is the current flow(Amperage)

P = I * V

Power (in watts) is the product of current (in amps) times the voltage (in volts). For example, a power supply currenty pumping 3 amps into a circuit with a voltage of 12 volts between its rails is actually delivering 36 watts.

Basically mine in a 780W with 60A across the 12V rail whatever that may mean.

It means that the power supply's main "rails" have a 12V potential difference across them (that's actually a fixed number common to all power supplies), and that it can deliver a theoretical maximum of 60 amps - that's really the strength of the power supply. 60 times 12 is 720W, or near enough to the "780W" you've been promised (there's a few other factors but the basic P = I * V calculation is simple [it's called "Ohm's Law"]).

Here in GPU-Z, an application that measures graphic cards details such as current clock speed etc tells me that under load it has a VDDC Current [A] of 59.6. But never over 60 though. Does this figure have anything to do with the 60A the power supply has on its rails!?!:huh:

Current being supplied at any point in time is a function of how much the consumer pulls, not how much the PSU pushes. In other words, if the combined total current being asked of it is 60 amps or less, the PSU should be fine. More than that, and the PSU will presumably overheat and somehow falter because it hasn't been designed or built to handle larger loads.

Basically i've also been told that a graphics card at full load should'nt be reaching the power supply's limit if this is so in this case and that it may lead to unstable pc. Please let me know about your findings! Am a bit new to this technical stuff! Thanks again. Any other details are in my specs.

It would be quite unlikely for any single video card to overwhelm a >700W PSU. It's possible though. Either way, I'd suggest you obtain (borrow) a cheap secondary video card to use for testing purposes. If your CPU/noise problem disappears, at least you know you're on the right track in the sense that your current video card is somehow involved.

My Computer

I really do appreciate all the explanation and its even better than those guys in those companies i call to talk too. Anyway all i can give u is some rep points. I believe you've earned them!

Thanks a lot again! Had a really great experience on vista forums!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
I really do appreciate all the explanation and its even better than those guys in those companies i call to talk too. Anyway all i can give u is some rep points. I believe you've earned them!

Thanks a lot again! Had a really great experience on vista forums!

Thank you for the rep. I hope you manage to fix your issue relatively painlessly - I know it can be frustrating to face such seemingly inexplicable and persistent symptoms.

My Computer

Do you have a network card? or using ethernet on the motherboard?

if you have a network card, remove it and see what happens (try to duplicate your issues)

if you have onboard, disconnect the internet cable, and turn off the network adapter in windows...IE: Remove/Disable it....

check back here....let us know the results.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6gb MUSHKIN DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    TWO x EVGA NVidia GTX 285
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24inch 2ms LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    4 x OCZ Vertex 60GB, 1 x Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 1000W
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooling
    Water cooled
    Keyboard
    Saitek Cyborg Deluxe
    Mouse
    Microsoft Regular USB w/wheel
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15mbps
Hey thanks for caring mate. Well i initially have an integrated network card onboard(Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller showing up in device manager,actually there are two of them!I guess its because of the 2 network ports). Thing is its a bit funny at times. It takes a long time to appear as connected(blue ball on two televsions in taskbar in vista) although i can start browsing and everything after booting up. Kaspersky Antivirus would only load after it would show in task manager as connected. But luckily windows update corrected the matter with an updated driver. Although the network card is integrated on board the initial driver has PCI-E mentioned in it. Even the one on Asus website on the motherboard drivers is the same but slightly outdated version. That's because network cards were PCI-E before i guess..Now antivirus loads up normally regardless of internet connection showing as active or not.

-Tried all that you said, nothing yet!:(

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
Back