High CPU usage?

Hey thanks for caring mate. Well i initially have an integrated network card onboard(Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller showing up in device manager,actually there are two of them!I guess its because of the 2 network ports). Thing is its a bit funny at times. It takes a long time to appear as connected(blue ball on two televsions in taskbar in vista) although i can start browsing and everything after booting up. Kaspersky Antivirus would only load after it would show in task manager as connected. But luckily windows update corrected the matter with an updated driver. Although the network card is integrated on board the initial driver has PCI-E mentioned in it. Even the one on Asus website on the motherboard drivers is the same but slightly outdated version. That's because network cards were PCI-E before i guess..Now antivirus loads up normally regardless of internet connection showing as active or not.

-Tried all that you said, nothing yet!:(

Remove any and all USB devices....

Remove any PCI card (Sound, network, etc etc) from your PC... with the exception of your video card. If you have a spare video card you could use, swap it out....

Remove/Disable sound card...

you need to physically remove these things, unless they are integrated into your motherboard...

remove any external hard drives. remove any internal HDD except the one with the OS installed on it....

If the problem persists, run a disk check on that HDD.

check back here.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6gb MUSHKIN DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    TWO x EVGA NVidia GTX 285
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24inch 2ms LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    4 x OCZ Vertex 60GB, 1 x Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 1000W
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooling
    Water cooled
    Keyboard
    Saitek Cyborg Deluxe
    Mouse
    Microsoft Regular USB w/wheel
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15mbps
Also, has this happened without Kaspersky anti virus being on the machine?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6gb MUSHKIN DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    TWO x EVGA NVidia GTX 285
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24inch 2ms LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    4 x OCZ Vertex 60GB, 1 x Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 1000W
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooling
    Water cooled
    Keyboard
    Saitek Cyborg Deluxe
    Mouse
    Microsoft Regular USB w/wheel
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15mbps
Hey! Here we go!

Well i actually dismantled the pc once to check for roughly what you are asking. Here's exactly what i did.

-Took out everything and put it on the table. Sound card is supreme fx2 came into a pci slot(removed).
-Somewhat the processor cooler has a pci slot connected to it in addition to its connected wires already on the motherboard (which a normal cpu cooler would use i guess). Basically (purpose of pci cooler slot)at the back of the motherboard the cpu cooler slot has lights to state whether currently it is in use or not. Green for power ON and flashing orange when its working. Regardless of whether that pci slot is inserted or not in the motherboard the ligths still show green and orange.(removed temporarily!cpu cooler still running!)
-Had all usb ports removed except keyboard and mouse. Tried another usb mouse in case but wasn't the mouse. Problem is i cant replicate the issue without a mouse connected to the pc!
Even connected keyboard via ps/2 port. And btw this motherboard has only one ps/2 input for keyboard only!purple only. Tried mouse in there using usb>ps/2 converter and it didn't work. So mouse had to go USB.
What did i miss?? Basically tried it with only one stick of RAM 1GB! Booted up nicely with same issue!Bloody hell!
Guess next move is to borrow another graphics card from somebody. But that may take a while. Anyway the monitor i have uses a dvi>dvi cable (single link). I ordered a dvi(dual-link)to HDMI v1.3 to connect the monitor to the graphics card directly. Although i know that there is no difference in the signal i do believe that it was worth a try upgrading the cable because the monitor specs state that its pc mode would be through the hdmi port. Anyway that wasn't happening before on the same screen so its not much of a solution. One thing i don't understand though is that before my graphics card came 4870X2, i had a gtx 280 which was working well(had to try which was better 4870x2 or gtx 280!was getting them for same price). Just exchanged it because i then became aware that i had a crossfire motherboard:p
But now that i know there's no point having two 4870X2 in crossfire i don't care. And am not ATI fanboy or whatever! take it easy!Yeah, thing is my graphic card drivers are crap. I tried installing the cd which came with my graphic card 4870X2 and its driver is 8.12(on cd). But could'nt install them on a fresh install of vista OS. I had to go to ati and only the 9.4 drivers would install without a fuss. I guess the updates from ATI update the settings in the card's BIOS or something but am not sure about that really. And does the configaration of my screen have anything to do with whether the card is NTSC or something?Not really sure about that either. Curently the setting of the screen is set to sRGB,does that matter? The CCC(catalyst control centre) has a setting for dynamic contrast which is enabled and has a figure of 64!

Might be saying too much here i guess. Shall be getting a friends graphic card by next week hopfully.

Refer to specs for any technical info.

Thanks again!

And yes it does still happen without kaspersky on the system. Will run disk check right away!

Before going to sleep i remembered having update the chipset files after having installed the fresh OS with everything ready to go. Upon updating the chipset, do i have to re-install video, sound and other main hardware or is it ok? Advice appreciated.:sleepy:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550@[email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Extremex38 BIOS 1202
    Memory
    2 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ [email protected]
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2
    Sound Card
    Supreme FX 2 included with motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIEWSONIC VX2260wm
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    300 GB Velociraptor, 10,000 rpm
    PSU
    Hiper 4M780
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Titan Amanda CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    USB Logitech Ultra flat keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser RX1000
    Internet Speed
    20 mb virgin media cable
    Other Info
    Currently settings in BIOS are set to Auto. Disabled Speed Step & C1E only.
Back