How to exec .dat at boot

Hi Richard,

Splendid, the "Verse of The Day" is now centered on the screen. Thanks

Here is the new release that contains lots of changes from the previous version and I have included all the complex and time consuming code in this version, which is why it took so long. I will now write the second thread for the .gif background (which isn't natively supported, but is very easy to integrate ( < 10 lines of code)) Also, because I have lots of time today, I will include the latest code. This code is not in a project, and uses the Resource file, so is not compilable, just for you to look at. In particular, MainForm.cs will interest you, because it contains some very simple and more complex code.

I fully realise the hard time and the heavy work load encountered by you in creating the progam. In parallel I'm much appreciated for your dedication in helping me. Sometimes we can't foresee/control the time on the end of working journey. Similar to me, I haven't got the translation to Traditional Chinese finished. It still has >60 verses waiting for translation.

The position of the source of verse is OK.

One question, by how much do your want Language and Amen to be moved, and are the font sizes OK? This and the background will be in the next release.

Adjustment to be made:
Code:
- [Amen] button moved to left
  left edge to window frame = 2.5 cm (estimated on my screen, 24" width.   Now 
  3 cm approx)
- drop list also moved to left
  right edge to window frame = 2.5 cm (estimated on my screen, 24" width)
- heading "Bible Verse of the Day" to be centered and fold
- "Thanks be to God" to be bold and increased by 1/2 font size
- "Language" font size to be same as "Thanks be to God" and bold 
  (now it is NOT same font size, smaller than the latter)

I'll study you coding. Thanks

Furthermore:
About frame rate: if you find 30 being too fast (stars flash too fast), please lower it.

B.R.
satimis

My Computer

Hi Richard,

I have another thought to discuss with you;

1)
Can language be added as module? Because if there are >5 languages it'll take up some space. User may not need all of them. If user is at liberty to choose the language to be added. It'll be more flexible.

2)
Can Hymn (background music) be changed monthly or bi-monthly? To be included in the program or added as module?

3)
Please add name of church and logo

name of church - stmary.gif
logo - stmary_logo.gif

location - immediate above "Thanks be to God" centered. Loge above name.

Sorry I can't suggest their size now before seeing the complete window. Please make adjustment.

Thanks

B.R.
satimis

Attachments

• stmary.gif
    stmary.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 728
  • stmary_logo.gif
    stmary_logo.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 726

My Computer

I am having a lot of problems getting the .gif animation to work. I can animate the .gif fine, but I cannot make the other components transparent. I can make the labels transparent using GDI+, but the RichTextBox is being slightly more troublesome.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
I am having a lot of problems getting the .gif animation to work. I can animate the .gif fine, but I cannot make the other components transparent. I can make the labels transparent using GDI+, but the RichTextBox is being slightly more troublesome.

Hi Richard,

Sorry gave you so much trouble. Please put aside the animated background. I'm now sending 3 static background pictures to you. Please select a suitable one matching the color of other pictures. Thanks

B.R.
satimis

P.S. If still encountering problem forget the background picture and select a solid color instead

Attachments

• blue-sky.gif
    blue-sky.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 734
  • dark_sky.gif
    dark_sky.gif
    560 bytes · Views: 708
  • star_background_blue.gif
    star_background_blue.gif
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,554

My Computer

Not really. I cannot make the transparent labels at this point, but I might try again later. Solid colours are fine, so how do you want to take this, what do you want to be the next step. I will work on the Chinese now, but if you want something else doing, just ask.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Not really. I cannot make the transparent labels at this point, but I might try again later. Solid colours are fine, so how do you want to take this, what do you want to be the next step. I will work on the Chinese now, but if you want something else doing, just ask.

Hi Richard,

1)
Can you make the verse printed on the screen having picture background?

2)
Can you make the verse printed on the background with solid colour?

For 1) above
If YES. Please let me do the graphic editing here. I will send you a background picture with the church logo on it. You just cut it to size.

If NO for 1) and YES to 2) above
Continue on 2). Again I will send you another picture with both church logo on it (building + name combined). You just select a position on the window for the church logo.

Please let me know. Thanks

I prefer to have .dat file separated (not compiled on the program). So we can add further language without recompile the program. My next step will be French verse after finishing Simplified Chinese version.

I also prefer having the hymn on separate file so that they can be played on rotation coupled with a verse of the day. I won't have 365 hymns on the file, maybe 7 hymn at start. But I haven't figured out how to do it. Could you shed me some light? Thanks.

I have a good collection of immortal hymns, both sung by church choir or played by orchestra/music instrument, such as piano, violin, etc.

I'm trying hard to find a solution on cross-platform program. Java seems to be more favourable. Windows may have JRE pre-installed if not just installing it. What will be your opinion.

B.R.
satimis

My Computer

Hello,

Solid colours are absolutely fine, but picture backgrounds are not at the moment. Pictures not overlayed with text however, are fine, hence the logo at the top. I imagine that the best way to have the multiple songs/languages would be to check for language files on start-up, add them to the list and let people choose for the next start-up. At the moment, this is stored in the registry (HKCU) but for compiling for Macs and Linux, I will move this to a settings file.

In terms of the songs, I could either see an alphabetical rotation of all in the folder, a selection made from another, settings.exe program so you can select the song for the next start-up, or a day of the week selection.

In the event of a failure, the program would resort to English and the standard song.

Separation request noted and will be processed, however, we could have a mix of both, the standard English .dat file included in the application, but external .dat files taken into consideration. We could also do the same for the standard sound file, however this would make the whole application bigger, and lack of sound is not really fatal.

Java: I will try some of the free C# to Java converters (which work quite well) just to get an idea of how easily this heavily .Net, Win32, GDI+ application will move. However, I think it will move.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Hi Richard

Solid colours are absolutely fine, but picture backgrounds are not at the moment. Pictures not overlayed with text however, are fine, hence the logo at the top.

Ok stick on solid colour first

I imagine that the best way to have the multiple songs/languages would be to check for language files on start-up, add them to the list and let people choose for the next start-up. At the moment, this is stored in the registry (HKCU) but for compiling for Macs and Linux, I will move this to a settings file.
Good idea. Hymns and languages selection are on one file and verses on another .dat file

In terms of the songs, I could either see an alphabetical rotation of all in the folder, a selection made from another, settings.exe program so you can select the song for the next start-up, or a day of the week selection.
Hymns not to be selected manually but in automatic rotation. Seven hymns for one week at start if possible.

Separation request noted and will be processed, however, we could have a mix of both, the standard English .dat file included in the application, but external .dat files taken into consideration. We could also do the same for the standard sound file, however this would make the whole application bigger, and lack of sound is not really fatal.
Sorry I don't catch. If 7 hymns would be a problem at start, please go back to single hymn first.

We can't solve all problems in one GO. Please continue developing an .exe program running CSharp. I'll try to sort out the problem running it on Linux.

I expect something solid at start. So that we can start a project on sourceforge.

Thanks and B.R.
satimis

My Computer

Back