interactive services dialog detection

bravo TabletPCguy
Hi,
similar experience with our new hp pavilion dv5-1000 series - Vista home premium 32 oem. Worked well until hp photosmart c5180 was installed and the afortmentioned runtime visual c++ errors started to turn up. Well, dv5 still seems to work ok after renaming and relocation to a safe directory the BLServices.exe (launcher still unnamed). Several ok reboots since, no complaints about missing blservices.exe yet. File has to do with the recovery system as it seems.
C5180 printer/scanner seems to operate as it should.
Local hp support mail exchange ongoing, they infoed that it is the preinstalled softwares that could be the cause - lets see the result :)
Problem or no problem... hacks, even tiny ones does not make me comfortable until I find the reason :shock:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 64 QL-60
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3450
I have no idea what BLService.exe is? It's worth noting that a google search points to your two threads on the first page; hits # 3 and 4. The first two hits suggest it's malware? I have no BLService, or BL Service on my machine, running or disabled.

Microsoft.com isn't helping any either; nothing on BLService or BL Service. Have you run anti-virus/malware/trojan scans?

What program are you using that's giving this message?

Hi, sorry never been on one of these before anyway I also have this problem and it as come about since creating a set of recovery disks. It is damn annoying...:mad: I have not been able to find where I can uninstall the programs that HP had install on start up. Please help guess I am just blond.....

My Computer

Is is hard to imagine that creating a set of recovery disks could cause the error message. Have you installed a printer? What type of printer? And what computer do you have?

My Computer

Is is hard to imagine that creating a set of recovery disks could cause the error message. Have you installed a printer? What type of printer? And what computer do you have?

Hi, I have not installed a printer on the laptop yet. the only thing in printers is Microsoft XPS Document Writer. The only other thing that happened that was odd was when the initial startup happened the computer hung in Dos?? (black screen anyway) and didnt start up only thing on screen was "CHKSUM Error". I took the comp back to the store and their IT guy started it again 3 x before it went onto start up correctly and install its software.

I didnt have the error at that time it came the next day after I did the recovery disks.

I did however have my files and adobe master collection, nero, and office pro installed on the computer prior to doing the recovery disks. Maybe there was something in my old files that triggered it. My last laptop crashed and the data was recovered for me.

Prior to the recovery disks creation I didnt have the error and I had restarted my comp prior to doing them.:cry:

My comp is HP Pavilion dv5-1005TX

Last edited:

My Computer

It is interesting. I got my HP TX 2510ea about 3 weeks ago. I installed my EPSON multi function printer and everything was okay. Unfortunately I was having problems with the laptop being quite sluggish so I took the opportunity to create my recovery discs and do a recovery.

I decided not to use the recovery discs but I recovered from the partition instead. Now when I plug in my printer I get the same error as everybody else - BLservice.exe runtime error. The driver did install okay, but when it is plugged in I get the error about a minute after it is plugged in. I do not get the error without the printer plugged in.
I have just today decided to do a recovery using the created discs again, and the same problem has arisen.

I do not know why the creation of recovery discs is a factor, it should not have anything to do with it, but I can confirm I did NOT have the error with my printer prior to creating the discs.

I have of course taken the steps noted in this thread to get rid of the error by disabling the recovery service and renaming the blservice.exe, but this needs to be fixed. I contacted HP but they had no clue and didn't seem to want to help.

So there seems to be quite a number of common factors with this problem.

1) Multi-function printers
2) HP Pavilion models of laptop/pc
3) Happens after recovery disc creation (WHY?)

Becky

My Computer

Hi Becky,

it is good to hear that I'm not alone with the recovery discs thing, but sad that yet another user has been affected.... I too renamed the file and the error message has gone but I dont think this is a satisfactory fix but one I think that we are going to be left with. I have searched the net and still there seems to be no answer and no enthusiasm from HP or the related companies regarding their customers concerns. Oh well happy computing.....

My Computer

Hi Debbie, yes I have searched hi and low and nothing but forum posts for help. Interestingly, I think tabletguy has started almost all of the forum threads out there for it :D

HP support were absolutely useless. They asked me where I bought it from (which was Comet store) and they gave me the number of a totally different store and told me to call them about it.

I am really dissatisfied with them. it is a good job its a good tablet laptop otherwise I would have got a refund by now.

My Computer

LOL yes tabletguy does come up alot.... I too like my laptop and HP has always been a great brand - pity about the after service though!

My Computer

I also started out with punch cards at a tech school in 1970. The suggestion to run msconfig and stop all process running except those needed for the operating system is the best way to go. Add one at a time and reboot until you get the error message. You can take the easy way out and wipe the hard drive and do a clean install. Run a system info and list all your harware and driver info so you can reload the drivers. If you want someone to lay their hands on their computer and heal yours I know I do not have that ability.

My Computer

Thanks for that usmc_nam_vet, to be honest I am not confident enough to enter the msconfig thing and play with operating systems - I think I will just leave the filename change be my fix for now. )-:

My Computer

Hi Guys

I got a HP Pavillion 3 weeks ago and no problems until I installed an Epson Stylus Colour Photo RX685 printer yesterday now I'm getting this same Interactive services BLService.exe problem - BUT only when the printer is physically plugged in, if its left out I don't get the message.

Is it safe to just delete this file?

Boith Epson & HP Customer support teams were singularly unhelpful.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion TX2510ea
Hi Taffy,

It should be safe to rename the file and test if the dialogue shows up again just incause you do need that file later ;)

Interactive services dialog detection is caused by pre-XP programs trying to display on console 0 while everyone's desktop uses console 1 (since Windows2000)...This is a programming error by the developers and they they can fix it in less than a second however without access to the source-code only the manufacturer can fix that error if they get off their ass and fix it...

Using Console 0 works for XP and earlier because its there for legacy Win98 programs...it is not a supported method of programming since Win95 and Microsoft wants to remove support for Console 0 program display since its used by the Kernel and other 3rd party drivers/programs...

Interactive services dialog detection is the only way Microsoft can make these programs display properly and make programmers remember they are not supposed to be using Console 0 at all since running programs there can also cause Kernel Stability problems ;)

Steven

My Computer

Hi Taffy,

It should be safe to rename the file and test if the dialogue shows up again just incause you do need that file later ;)

Interactive services dialog detection is caused by pre-XP programs trying to display on console 0 while everyone's desktop uses console 1 (since Windows2000)...This is a programming error by the developers and they they can fix it in less than a second however without access to the source-code only the manufacturer can fix that error if they get off their ass and fix it...

Using Console 0 works for XP and earlier because its there for legacy Win98 programs...it is not a supported method of programming since Win95 and Microsoft wants to remove support for Console 0 program display since its used by the Kernel and other 3rd party drivers/programs...

Interactive services dialog detection is the only way Microsoft can make these programs display properly and make programmers remember they are not supposed to be using Console 0 at all since running programs there can also cause Kernel Stability problems ;)

Steven

Hi Guys, thanks for that explanation Steven - just wish you knew the source code! :sarc:

My Computer

Hi Debbie & Steve

It seems to have fixed the problem - I renamed the file and its not caused any problems so far - printer seems to work without aby problems

Keith

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion TX2510ea
Hi all,
got some replies from hp support in the northern hemisphere supporting renaming as one "solution". They asked for some snapshots of oem installments (hp) but did not however give any explanation to this problem - only a supportive answer to renaming. Responsiveness was good, but the technical depth in answer was not so impressive. Steves explanation is the best I have seen.
I have operated my dv5-1000 series notebook with photosmart 5100 series All in one without problems since renaming (and relocation - not necessary).
Eventhough not nice it seems today that "solutions" like renaming and trial and error are accepted ones ;)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 64 QL-60
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3450
BTW -- trial and error is not necessary because we now know (through no help from HP) exactly which service to disable -- namely, "Recovery Service for Windows." If you disable this service, you do not need to rename or otherwise mess around with your files.

My Computer

Back