interactive services dialog detection

Hello everyone

I have a new HP Pavillion dv5-1015ea laptop, onto which I've yet to install a printer etc, and have been getting these same Interactive services dialog detection boxes popping up when I'm online, followed by the aforementioned SMINST\BLservice.exe thing too. I think the boxes started popping up only after I installed a broadband modem USB "dongle".

Am I right in thinking that the problem is a conflict between the dongle and Vista, but that I can stop the pop-up boxes by simply renaming the BLservice.exe file? Or do I also have to disable the Recovery Service for Windows, and if so where is that found on my computer? Is it advisable to disable that, I mean could it somehow harm the computer later on?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or help.

My Computer

Am I right in thinking that the problem is a conflict between the dongle and Vista, but that I can stop the pop-up boxes by simply renaming the BLservice.exe file? Or do I also have to disable the Recovery Service for Windows, and if so where is that found on my computer? Is it advisable to disable that, I mean could it somehow harm the computer later on?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Hi Juncrow,

Theres no conflict between Vista and the device, I also do not recommend disabling the Recovery Service for Windows as your system restore will be disabled and prevent you from recovering from errors later, You can just rename the file to stop the Services Detection Dialogue ;)

Steven

My Computer

Although I am not a techie, I must respectfully question Steve’s comment above. “Recovery Service for Windows” only works by executing the BLservice.exe file. This can be seen in the registry (see drumtrucker’s post on page 2 of this thread). So if you rename the file, you have killed the service in any event. That’s why it is better to disable the service, so that the registry command does have the computer searching for a file that you have renamed and therefore cannot find (and probably slowing the startup of the computer).

No one I talked to at HP or Microsoft tech support can say what this service is supposed to do, although I feel fairly certain that it does not disable the Windows system restore capability (as that is a Microsoft Windows capability which exists on thousands of computers, including my other HP Pavilion computer, that do not have “Recovery Service for Windows”). The best way to get rid of this error, unless HP by some miracle gets around to issuing a patch, is as follows:
-Click start.
-Where is says “start search” type “msconfig” and hit enter and continue.
-Do not panic if the screen goes dark for a bit.
-In the system configuration window, click the Services tab.
-Find Recovery Services for Windows and remove the check mark.
-Click OK and restart.
We did this a month ago, and everything has been OK since then.

My Computer

Not technical at all, but here are my details ...
  • HP Pavilion dV5-1002nr Entertainment Notebook PC
  • Operating Systemn Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Installed Brother MFC-465CN Multi-Function Machine
  • Immediately started seeing "Interactive Services Dialog Detection" box
  • Program details show "BLService.exe" problem
Just followed the instructions above and all is well ... so far ...

My Computer

Hi everyone.

Sorry to bring this vexed subject up again but... it appears re-naming the BLservice.exe file has indeed slowed my laptop down, for example it doesn't always restart when i click on Restart. Should I just give BLService.exe file back its original name and then follow what TabletPCguy said to do?

Thanks once again for any help.

My Computer

I have an HP tx2510 laptop and have been suffering from the BLService.exe runtime error for a long time. It usually happened when I plugged in either my HP all in one printer or my Blackberry to one of the USB ports. Both of these devices have memory card slots and show up as an external drive on my computer.

I applied an HP softpaq update (sp40669) which appears to have fixed the error indicating that BLService.exe has stopped working when I plug in my printer or Blackberry.:D

The patch description says the problem occurs when an external USB drive is connected to the notebook, and the fix modifies the Microsoft BitLocker Program (BLService.exe) so it only monitors the internal hard drive.

The link to the HP site where I found the fix is:
HP Update for Microsoft BitLocker Program 

The link to the HP download for the patch is:
HP Update for Microsoft BitLocker Program 

Hope this helps all the HP notebook users with Vista that are having the same problem.

My Computer

That makes a lot of sense, gmpcv; I'd been having the problem since I bought my HP dv5 notebook just a fortnight ago, and although TabletPCGuy's solution re: msconfig has worked, I'd always wondered about the characterisation of the problem being about having a printer installed, as the only things I'd installed were programs like iTunes and my internet provider software prior to the problem occuring.

But the 'external drive' variable being at issue makes sense. My wireless modem USB shows up as having an external drive, and that would have been one of the first things I installed. I'll try to install that patch, I'll re-enable recovery for windows in msconfig, and see if I have any luck.

So is it confirmed now that BLService.exe is a microsoft program: i.e. part of bitlocker? Strange that neither HP nor Microsoft seem to want to claim ownership of what is obviously pre-loaded software on lots of PC notebooks out there. :p

My Computer

So is it confirmed now that BLService.exe is a microsoft program: i.e. part of bitlocker? Strange that neither HP nor Microsoft seem to want to claim ownership of what is obviously pre-loaded software on lots of PC notebooks out there. :p

Hey ProdigalProtege,

BLService.exe is owned by HP not Microsoft, its HP`s stamped service not included with Windows :sarc:

Some info about interactive services dialog detection here: Vista's Interactive Services Detection Service | ITsVISTA

Theres a very small majority of useless software using these APIs and I find Service Hardening (Interactive Services Detection) has better security worth disabling these few programs :geek:

Doubt Microsoft will fix HP`s software for them...until then HP needs to fix theirs ;)

Steven

My Computer

:D I was refereed to this site by another looking for assistance for this very same issue. The First thing I found is the site has some Buffoon handing out condescending crap to people. If I want to be ridiculed for asking for assistance and not bowing before the great and almighty oz. I would have called on the geek squad! If you do not like to help or feel that it is better to tear people down to your level rather than building yourself up to there's; then keep your advice and stay out of the forum. Your help is not required or requested, it was volunteered and unappreciated.

I am truly disappointed when I come to these for help and it seems there is alway on Donkey who has to make it a chore.

FUMZ Please find some place else to be an idiot we are all filled up here!

Drumtucker: It has been my unfortunate experience to find the problem is truly three fold...Microsoft, HP and Brother.

1. Microsoft cannot tell me what the program is or where it is from. I am running Vista Home Premium.

2. HP cannot and will not look intot he problem, they insist this all a port conflict generated by the installation and the incompatability with the Bother MFC Series printers. My computer is a HP TX 2000 Series Tablet PC.

3. Brother Support just told me to uninstall the program and reinstall it. I installed a Brother MFC 440CN Printer.

I have the same printer software installed on another Laptop (Acer) This is no issue on this machine.

If anyone can offer some real help for this BLService.exe ERROR -(Vista and Brother multifunction printer)?

Please Let me know and thank you in advance.

My Computer

@kevieco

You have 2 choices:

1. Install the HP patch. But beware! HP installation script is broken :mad: as it launches the real MSI installer after decompressing the archive WITHOUT the required admin rights on Vista/Win7 with UAC on!
This means you after have to locate the extracted files in C:\SwSetup\SP40669 and manually run from a command prompt with admin rights the "BlService Web Update.msi" file! Only this way it will run and install properly the HP patch (that simply replaces the C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\BLService.exe with a newer version)! :cool:

2. Disable the service "Recovery Service for Windows" (started by the C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\BLService.exe) that is an HP pre-installed thing, don't worry, it's not a MS product and won't disable any feature in the OS!
As far as people on the web understood it was an old patch provided by HP to fix Microsoft BitLocker but nobody knows if it's really needed, especially since Vista has gone to SP2. It's probably totally unnecessary with an updated Vista SP2 and you can simply consider it another "crapware" pre-installed by HP. :sarc:

P.S.
A tipical crash thrown by the BLService.exe from HP is this:

Application MFC STServices

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: BLService.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.2
Application Timestamp: 47c2fde7
Fault Module Name: BLService.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 47c2fde7
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 00027fa2
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: ebde
Additional Information 2: 796ed3eb3fe6cc86e3ee3679347953d5
Additional Information 3: ae46
Additional Information 4: 8c54f49779c438c031ceb31872166741

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5-1110el
    CPU
    Intel T5800 Core 2 Duo 2GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3603
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 9600M GT (Forceware 189.06)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 2,5" 5400RPM
I just came across this issue today on my HP Pavilion laptop. Google brought me here which was not alot of help but a little more digging took me to this page: Blservice.exe runtime error - Fix HP Pavilion: BLService.exe Runtime Error | Laptop - Notebooks Drivers Updates

There I downloaded the fix and so far, so good. No more run time error message as yet.

Not so useful? :sarc: The 2 solutions posted above your message DO solve the problem 100%. Tested with many HP Laptops.
Moreover... beware! Read point 1) here.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5-1110el
    CPU
    Intel T5800 Core 2 Duo 2GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3603
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)