Not the typical BOOTMGR error

Hi Jen,

You are more than welcome.:D

I think that must have been the problem all along. If you want another Vista dvd - I believe Dell send them out on request ( HP do it free, so I assume Dell don't charge either)

What changes did you make in the BIOS ?

What was the original setting and what did you change it to?

You shouldn't need to change back - the info may help to sort any similar issues from others.

You may find you need to download XP drivers for your machine - click this link and select XP from the drop down flap, if you need to :

Drivers & Downloads

:D:D:D

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
It couldn't have been the Vista CD the entire time because as I said, I was also trying to install the XP CD from the start as well. Neither would work and both would give me multiple BootMGR errors.

It wasn't until I made the changes to the BIOS that it allowed setup to occur from the CD.

This was the changes that were made:
In the field SATA Operation I changed RAID ON to RAID AutoDetect / ATA

That allowed install to happen and I have since loaded all the drivers and things are running smoothly.

Thanks again for all your help. I hope this thread serves others who are having the same problem. As I mentioned when this monster of a thread began, I researched around the web to find a solution but I couldn't find anyone who had the same problem where they had a formatted C: drive but ALSO were getting the error when attempting to load from CD.

Again, this service was extremely helpful, and I received responses quickly and in a way I could understand - I'm not terrible with computers, but this is all brand new to me - and it's really appreciated.

You basically saved me a couple hundred dollars ... Thank you all!

My Computer

Hi Jen,

When I said I think that must have been the problem all along - I meant the BIOS settings - coz your XP wasn't installing either.

Just took us a while to figure it out.

Thanks for reporting back the configuration you ended up with.

Pleased it's all working you.

You did well with the cmd prompt , changing settings, etc. That would have have been too daunting for many people.:D

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi, I'm a 1st time poster here.
I'm experiencing a problem similar to OP here, however, I cannot boot any form of disc after a clean wipe of my 2 HDDs in RAID 0 Array.

I've set my boot priority to HDD first then DVD second, also tierd swapping them around, I get the same problem.

I get the "Please select a proper boot device" error. sometimes a reboot have lead to the "0x00000e9" error message which talks about failing removable media, but I have no failing removable media present.

Neither the neo recovery disc, xp, vista 32 or vista 64 bit discs works.
I'm pretty much ready to just take the entire pc and just throw it into a wall.
(Mine does not have any recovery partitions or anything similar, I built the system myself a good coulpe of years back and it worked flawless until I gave it a clean wipe since it's server usage (I'm giving it to my 8 year old brother as a b-day present I'm hoping) but it doesn't look like that'll happen ATM :(

Any help would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

My Computer

Back