Slow Loading of Windows

You might also go into Bios, if you are comfortable doing that.

From there you can disable the devices you are certain you don't use. That prevents Bios wasting time loading up the drivers at startup that you have no use for.

SIW2

I'm 100% comfortable with going into the BIOS and changing things. What exactly can I disable from there. Nothing that's plugged into my motherboard I don't use. I don't know where all that extra crap is from. I've changed a couple of things since the installation of Windows hardware wise but not to this extent. This card that I mentioned in the original post is one ting I changed and I might've swapped around two PCI devices and then swapped them back some time later but nothing crazy. I've unplugged, plugged back in/never did with some, and have added hard drives, also switching around which SATA ports they're connected to, alternating between the motherboard slots and my previous SATA Controller card which I currently have none connected of. That could have maybe caused some problems. But what can I do in the BIOS that has to do with this?..

My Computer

When you switch RAID controllers, you have to be careful. If you switch within the same family group, you don't need to reinstall. I went from the LSI Logic MegaRAID 320-2 to 320-2X without reinstalling. If you switch brands, you should always reinstall clean. RAID puts down a different architecture and stripe layout on each different brand.

Did you clear the event viewer and see what is hanging during boot? Is it hanging before Windows loads? Do you need to disable an on-board controller no longer being used?
I never switched RAID controllers. I just turned it off because it was conflicting with that Promise Technology SATA Card which doesn't have RAID. I've always had the same RAID.

My Computer

Did you try checking the properties of those multiple devices to see if that tells us anything?

There are 2 approaches - one is to go into Bios and disable anything you know is not attached - make a note of your current settings and/or take a digital pic of them.

The other thing you can try is uninstalling the multiple devices one by one in Device Manager- check properties first to see if that gives you any indication. If you disable the wrong thing, e.g your mouse - restarting should detect it as new hardware and install Vista's native drivers.

You may wish to make an image of your drive ( put it on an external drive ) - only takes a few mins. which you can restore - again in a few mins. to get you back to where you are now.

You can use the excellent free version of Macrium Reflect - you will need it in the future anyway - the first thing to do is to burn the bootable cd - it prompts you to do that.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/downloads/0,139024478,10675060s,00.htm

Hope it helps

SIW2

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Did you try checking the properties of those multiple devices to see if that tells us anything?

SIW2
All of the sudden the extra stuff is grayed out unlike it was before. Should I just wipe like ALL that s***? <- Sorry for language but I'm getting really frustrated with the insane amount of problems I've recovered from with Vista, and perfectly may I add. Some remains like this garbage is left which now started causing problems. Ok, I think it's safe to delete all of this. It'll install again when I insert any of these devices such as my flashdrive again.

Last edited:

My Computer

No it's not the answer to everything now and i wasn't insinuating it is...
It's an option period.
No more.
No less.
If I were going to reinstall everything, this post wouldn't be here. And.. yeah, it's an option.. that everybody knows about and is of no need to mention.

My Computer

Fine, if they are now grey, you should be able to uninstall them.

See if that helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Fine, if they are now grey, you should be able to uninstall them.

See if that helps

SIW2

I uninstalled everything that was gray (which was like 10 things) including the drivers that came with them, then restarted my computer. I uninstalled more of the things that turned gray and restarted my computer. None of the things were gray this time - I restarted my computer. Windows still took very long to load though it was a bit faster. Maybe I'm imagining things and it was always this slow buut I doubt it. About how long should that loading bar be on screen before it gets to the user login screen?

My Computer

Here are the multiple devices listed now... Much less and more sensible I think...
samemultipledevicelist1nc5.jpg

samemultipledevicelist2an7.jpg

samemultipledevicelist3xl9.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

Before deleting anything, you need to figure out what is not working. What errors are in the event viewer. I would start by right clicking on each category in the event viewer and clearing them. Reboot after they are empty. This will show you only what events are triggered on boot up. Then, you start with the earliest event and see what does not work or hangs.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Before deleting anything, you need to figure out what is not working. What errors are in the event viewer. I would start by right clicking on each category in the event viewer and clearing them. Reboot after they are empty. This will show you only what events are triggered on boot up. Then, you start with the earliest event and see what does not work or hangs.

Ok. I'll do that. Afterward, is there a way to save a log of the errors? I want you to see it. Or, if it's not much, I guess I'll just print screen or type it up.

My Computer

Just post the earliest error or hanged process.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Windows loads for almost 3 minutes. That's a bit less than it took my computer to fully restart and load all the startup programs before. It's definitely way too long.

My Computer

You have to repair WMI. Easiest way is backup your data and do a clean reinstall. You could install another hard drive, and install Vista to it and use the first hard drive to move the data.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Hi,

My startup time is around 38 seconds.

I have almost no apps. coming at startup, but unless you have some spectacular startup oafs, I would think you may get from power on to working desktop in a minute or less.

For me, the green bars roll for about 8 seconds - if that's taking minutes, it seems to indicate a problem loading Windows from the HD.

Ever since I plugged in this PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card, Windows started taking very long to load up (before the user login screen). After I removed the card, the problem remained.
Even tho. the device is no longer physically present, seems it may be to do with the drivers - there is no reference to anything that might be connected in the Bios ?

A reinstall looks like it may be on the cards, as Michael says.

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
You have to repair WMI. Easiest way is backup your data and do a clean reinstall. You could install another hard drive, and install Vista to it and use the first hard drive to move the data.
Problem isn't the info, it's the programs. I can't do a fresh install. It took me months to finally get all my programs and get their settings right. I can't reinstall every time something happens. Say I reinstall now, at any time, something could happen. I didn;t do anything wrong and this happened right? So no, I can't reinstall. Maybe I can fix/reset the startup files. Whatever it may be. I'm sure there is a way to fix this. If you can;t think of anything else, that's okay. Thank you for guiding me thus far.

My Computer

Hi,

My startup time is around 38 seconds.

I have almost no apps. coming at startup, but unless you have some spectacular startup oafs, I would think you may get from power on to working desktop in a minute or less.

For me, the green bars roll for about 8 seconds - if that's taking minutes, it seems to indicate a problem loading Windows from the HD.

Ever since I plugged in this PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card, Windows started taking very long to load up (before the user login screen). After I removed the card, the problem remained.
Even tho. the device is no longer physically present, seems it may be to do with the drivers - there is no reference to anything that might be connected in the Bios ?

A reinstall looks like it may be on the cards, as Michael says.

SIW2
Thanks for the info, but, same as I told Mike there, I'm not doing a reinstall. Also, thank you for trying to actually fix the problem, sincerely. Maybe someone else might know what to do.

My Computer

Back