Slow Loading of Windows

Hi Typhoon,

I know what you mean.

When you do get everything sorted out, you may want to make an image, which you can restore if you need to. It' very quick and easy. You can make a new image every now and again so it's reasonably up to date.

In fact I only just restored an image of one of my o/s a couple of minutes ago.

This is a great free version you may like to use to create and restore images. Run off the cd it prompts you to at the beginning - you can boot in from that and find an image you have made and restore it.

MACRIUM PIC2009-01-02_075427.jpg

Store your images on separate hd if you can - if not, you can save to recordable dvd's or even another partition.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition 4.2 build 2033 - Downloads - ZDNet Australia

Hope it helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi Typhoon,

I know what you mean.

When you do get everything sorted out, you may want to make an image, which you can restore if you need to. It' very quick and easy. You can make a new image every now and again so it's reasonably up to date.

In fact I only just restored an image of one of my o/s a couple of minutes ago.

This is a great free version you may like to use to create and restore images. Run off the cd it prompts you to at the beginning - you can boot in from that and find an image you have made and restore it.

View attachment 9317

Store your images on separate hd if you can - if not, you can save to recordable dvd's or even another partition.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition 4.2 build 2033 - Downloads - ZDNet Australia

Hope it helps

SIW2
Thanks but, I already have this going. I have Acronis and I use it to make incremental backups on every login. Why did you offer that to me though? What does that have to do with my current situation?

My Computer

Because if you had a backup image of your entire partition before this problem you could restore it and still have all the apps. etc. installed.

Just in case you hadn't got a backup app. I was suggesting you might like to do so in future when you get everything sorted out.

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Because if you had a backup image of your entire partition before this problem you could restore it and still have all the apps. etc. installed.

Just in case you hadn't got a backup app. I was suggesting you might like to do so in future when you get everything sorted out.

SIW2
Oh, I see, well thanks. That loading bar was never 8 seconds for me anyway so I want to try and actually solve the problem. Might you have any ideas of what else this might be connected to? Maybe some more stuff I can uninstall/delete? I wish RegistryBooster worked with Vista 64-bit. I'm sure that it would solve the problem or at least make it better.

My Computer

I run a corporate network. My workstation is basically a file server running Vista x64 Ulitmate SP1. I have 130 applications and 60 plugin applications on my workstation. Reinstalling is also a several month project. However, it is how much time will you spend attempting to fix all your issues and being able to work vs wasting time trying to fix issues you don't understand. WMI issues can be difficult to fix even for me.

You work the problems through the event viewer. You start with the earliest entry and google the issue. Find possible solutions and try them. WMI and DCOM issues can be very tricky to resolve. The wrong solution can kill your OS. I would recommend backing up critical data and considering starting over with your correct hardware configuration. Then, you are just spending the time reinstalling the applications as you need them. From what you are describing, its many problems.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I run a corporate network. My workstation is basically a file server running Vista x64 Ulitmate SP1. I have 130 applications and 60 plugin applications on my workstation. Reinstalling is also a several month project. However, it is how much time will you spend attempting to fix all your issues and being able to work vs wasting time trying to fix issues you don't understand. WMI issues can be difficult to fix even for me.

You work the problems through the event viewer. You start with the earliest entry and google the issue. Find possible solutions and try them. WMI and DCOM issues can be very tricky to resolve. The wrong solution can kill your OS. I would recommend backing up critical data and considering starting over with your correct hardware configuration. Then, you are just spending the time reinstalling the applications as you need them. From what you are describing, its many problems.

I'm almost positive though that after I reinstall and set everything up again, sooner or later (most likely sooner), it will get to this point anyway, especially considering that I didn't do anything wrong. In other words, it's Windows itself that got worn out over time. I never had a serious virus for example and things always happen. That's why I don't think reinstalling Windows and starting anew will save time, not even considering how long it will take to set everything up again. That WMI error that I posted is a very serious error you're saying and it could be the main reason for this slow loading?

My Computer

I have been working with computers since 1982. For me, the errors are easy to fix because I do it daily at work. When you see that many errors, you have two choices. Work through each error in order of the event viewer or reinstall. You changed hardware and add/remove programs. This can cause problems. My workstation is used for work and play. I do A/V and CAD work on it. I usually reinstall the applications that I need for that project. So applications get reinstalled as needed. Photoshop CS4 and all the plugins takes 4-8 hours to configure. I have to setup the camera profiles, printer profiles, screen and video card profiles, all the memory and file settings.

You had alot of errors. You start by clearing the earliest errors in the event viewer first. You then, clear the event viewer and reboot. You sometimes get lucky and one error fix can remove many problems from the event viewer. You need to document what you did. Clearing the event viewer each time before a reboot, shows only current issues. You don't have legacy entries that will confuse you.

Will your OS need reinstalling in 2 years. Maybe. It depends on the software and hardware changes. Older software that is not Vista compatible can cause issues with Vista. So I recommend upgrading. I also recommend only installing what you need that day and for that project. Don't load all 30 games you might play once a month. I keep 4-5 games on my workstation that I play. The less stuff you load the fewer issues you have. Don't load old software on unless you absolutely need it. I upgrade my software on a regular basis. I want the Vista read applciations.

Turn off features on your motherboard you don't use. I don't use SATA. I disable it. I only enable what I need to run.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I have been working with computers since 1982. For me, the errors are easy to fix because I do it daily at work. When you see that many errors, you have two choices. Work through each error in order of the event viewer or reinstall. You changed hardware and add/remove programs. This can cause problems. My workstation is used for work and play. I do A/V and CAD work on it. I usually reinstall the applications that I need for that project. So applications get reinstalled as needed. Photoshop CS4 and all the plugins takes 4-8 hours to configure. I have to setup the camera profiles, printer profiles, screen and video card profiles, all the memory and file settings.

You had alot of errors. You start by clearing the earliest errors in the event viewer first. You then, clear the event viewer and reboot. You sometimes get lucky and one error fix can remove many problems from the event viewer. You need to document what you did. Clearing the event viewer each time before a reboot, shows only current issues. You don't have legacy entries that will confuse you.

Will your OS need reinstalling in 2 years. Maybe. It depends on the software and hardware changes. Older software that is not Vista compatible can cause issues with Vista. So I recommend upgrading. I also recommend only installing what you need that day and for that project. Don't load all 30 games you might play once a month. I keep 4-5 games on my workstation that I play. The less stuff you load the fewer issues you have. Don't load old software on unless you absolutely need it. I upgrade my software on a regular basis. I want the Vista read applciations.

Turn off features on your motherboard you don't use. I don't use SATA. I disable it. I only enable what I need to run.
Thank you. A lot of useful information there. I do however want to say and ask a couple things in response. In Programs and Features, it says I have 200 programs installed. It's not all programs but you get the idea. I use everything I install, obviously not on a daily basis though, but I do. I also always update everything and everything whenever possible. Unfortunately, I do have some old stuff though, not originally intended for Vista but they work.

Another thing, in two years, maybe I will in fact need a reinstall. But, when I was saying that I'd need to reinstall anyway if I reinstall now soon, I meant REALLY soon. I've done a lot of experimenting and all sorts of crazy things since I installed Vista here, but it has only been five months. This time, it might be longer - a year maybe, but that's why I'm saying it won't help, especially since I can truly say that it took me three months just to set everything up the way I wanted/install everything. I too use many things like Photoshop, CAD, Adobe Premiere, Autodesk Inventor, etc... Oh, and I don't really have any games installed. I don't play computer games - maybe only a few...

Now for the questions, umm, you say that I should clear the Event Viewer each time. Why? I can see which errors occurred when by the time anyway. You also said I have many errors. Don't I only have one or do all of those "Information" level noted events count as issues as well? All of them need to be taken care of? I mean, those things can actually be causing a significant amount of problems?

My Computer

You clear the event viewer so you only see what happens on the reboot. You see just those events. It help narrow down the problems. Information events could show issues.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
You clear the event viewer so you only see what happens on the reboot. You see just those events. It help narrow down the problems. Information events could show issues.
Sorry for pestering you but I still don't get it for two reasons.
1) Even if I clear the event viewer, stuff on shutdown can still show.
2) Again, why does it narrow it down? It's all organized by the time that the events happened so either way, you know exactly what happened on startup.

What am I missing?..

My Computer

You need to determine what problems are causing the hanging or what fails to load. On shutdown, POST, startup is a lag in time. You can go through the event viewer easier. If you have problems on shutdown, it could be part of the problems on startup. I have seen event viewers have 500+ events on startup.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
You need to determine what problems are causing the hanging or what fails to load. On shutdown, POST, startup is a lag in time. You can go through the event viewer easier. If you have problems on shutdown, it could be part of the problems on startup. I have seen event viewers have 500+ events on startup.
I guess it is easier if I just clear it and check everything that appeared after I restart. I just saw no difference between that and just checking the things that happened from the time you shut down to the time you fully booted up. The previous events wouldn't really interfere.

My Computer

Start clearing the earliest event. Google the event ID.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Yes, that helps. When you clear the earliest problems, you can narrow down other issues. Did you check the device manager to make sure that device is gone.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Yes, that helps. When you clear the earliest problems, you can narrow down other issues. Did you check the device manager to make sure that device is gone.
Yeah. I checked in the very beginning. It's gone. I'm still concerned about all the multiple stuff under System Devices. If you take a look on the third page, second picture - look at all that PCI stuff. There's definitely something wrong there.

My Computer

I don't see a problem in your device manager. You would have red x or yellow triangle with issues. You should see my device manager. Its huge.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I don't see a problem in your device manager. You would have red x or yellow triangle with issues. You should see my device manager. Its huge.
Lol, so that multiple PCI stuff is fine? There could just be a lot of useless crap there, a lot of which there already was and I removed since it wasn't in use (grayed out). If you compare my original post of the devices and then my second, you'll see what I mean. Well, ok then. If that's okay then it's fine... I'll Google the events and see how much I can solve. I'll report back when I get to it (which might not be soon) and give the results, whether it was successful in speeding up the loading or not.

My Computer

Ok, so... I basically fixed any errors I had on shutdown/startup which turned out to be only one, the WPI one. The rest weren't problems, just things starting up mainly. The problem remains. What else can it be? Maybe there's some kind of software similar to that of RegistryBooster but for Vista the 64-bit version that might fix the problem? I mean, besides in Device Manager/errors appearing in Event Viewer, what else can the problem be? How can I check what drivers aren't being used? Maybe that's what it is or would that appear in Device Manager?

My Computer

Back