SP1 Public Download Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's been a long wait for some of you, but SP1 has finally been released.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that addresses feedback from our customers. In addition to previously released updates, SP1 will contain changes focused on addressing specific reliability, performance, and compatibility issues; supporting new types of hardware; and adding support for several emerging standards. SP1 also will continue to make it easier for IT administrators to deploy and manage Windows Vista. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone version can be installed on systems with any of the following language versions: English (US), French, German, Japanese, or Spanish (Traditional).

You should now be able to grab SP1 from windows update or you can download the stand alone packages from the following links.

Download: Windows Vista SP1 Five Language Standalone

32bit Package (434.5 MB) (x86)

64bit package (726.5 MB) (x64)

It says to use WU for single computers. Any problem if one uses the update that is available at the Microsoft site on a single computer? My Windows Update is not picking up the SP1 update availability.
Frag

Downloading the standalone package is a better deal, because you can keep a copy of it on DVD somewhere safe, along with you original install media. That way, if you re-install Vista (for whatever reason), then you already have the SP1 available, and won't have to download it again.

If you're feeling brave, you can even read the Windows Vista Deployment Guide to find out how to integrate SP1 onto a copy of your original Vista install DVD, so that when you re-install Vista, the SP1 is installed with it. Read the TechNet article here - Windows Vista Deployment Step by Step Guide

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    Memory
    2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAHARA 21"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 80GB Seagate (I)
    2 x 120GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 200GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 250GB Seagate (I/S)
    PSU
    800W
    Case
    Thermaltake Tai-Chi
    Cooling
    Tai-Chi Water Cooler
    Keyboard
    Genius
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    384kbps
    Other Info
    Currently dual booting between Vista x64 Ultimate Windows 7 BETA x64
Yeah, are these links good ones or not?

Yes.

The links provided by z3r010 are good, and take you to the Microsoft download location.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    Memory
    2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAHARA 21"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 80GB Seagate (I)
    2 x 120GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 200GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 250GB Seagate (I/S)
    PSU
    800W
    Case
    Thermaltake Tai-Chi
    Cooling
    Tai-Chi Water Cooler
    Keyboard
    Genius
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    384kbps
    Other Info
    Currently dual booting between Vista x64 Ultimate Windows 7 BETA x64
I downloaded the x86 Standalone in less than 20 mintues.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intele pentium Dual-Core E400 - 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    ECS
    Memory
    4 GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 7400 Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 21907 Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    120 GB Seagate
    PSU
    250 Watt HiPro
    Cooling
    Cooler Master
    Keyboard
    di USB
    Mouse
    HP Optical
    Internet Speed
    25 Mpbs High Speed
SP1 Public Download Now Available - Finally!

Well, Microsoft finally decided to get off of their slow-moving posterior and release what they've had sitting around for weeks, now; gee, what a shock!

As for getting SP1 though the "normal" Windows Update channel, I have been trying that route for over an hour now, and it still keeps telling me that "No new updates are available for your computer"; I'm running Vista Business Edition, for whatever that's worth.

Is whether you're able to access the thing or not contingent on either:

1. What version of Vista you have, or

2. What region of the country you're in

Would the posters who have been able to obtain SP1 through Windows Update (as opposed to downloading the standalone version from the MS Website) please mention the Vista version they're running and what country and state they're in, if they're not already identified by the various flags available in their profiles?

Also, could someone who has a little "insider" knowledge please verify that the Windows Update (or Microsoft Update, as the case may be) version is in fact a smaller, faster, and perhaps more "custom" iteration of SP1, which does a better job of inspecting your computer for possible "prerequisite" updates which may be needed before installing the Service Pack?

Some may think that these details are a bit nit-picky, but with such a monster update as Vista Service Pack 1 you definitely need to have it to go right the first time, and if, for example, waiting to access it via Windows Update vs downloading the standalone file can prevent the process from blowing up on you, then that knowledge needs to be out there in the public domain.

For those of you who know the answer to these questions, please comment expeditiously, since there's going to be a massive rush to obtain this thing, and going about installing it via the correct methodology is of paramount importance here.

Last edited:

My Computer

ah yes!
i was able to get SP1 through windows update after 2 tries.

first try i had to install an update definition for windows defender

second try Sp1 finally came up and as of right now it's downloading 66mb

so hopefully everything goes well for me.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Pentium 4 3.0ghz/ Dual Xeon 2.8ghz 8 cores
    Motherboard
    Intel D915GUX
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 533MHz Memory/4gb DDR2 FB-DIMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon x600 Series/ATI Radeon x2600xt
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 19" Gateway FPD1965
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    2tb WD
    Velociraptor 300GB WD
    40gb
    Mac Pro - 500gb, 2x 320gb, 150gb
I've just downloaded and installed it through Windows Update. About 60MB file size. Totally painless with just the one restart. About 45 minutes in all.

My Computer

Keep in mind that if you are presently using drivers which will not work with SP1 then winupdate will not give you the SP1 dowload.

My Computer

Wild:

That may be true, but then Windows Update is "obligated" to inform you of such conflicts or incompatibilities so you can correct that condition; otherwise, how will you ever know what the problem is, so you can eventually get SP1?

There has got to be some methodology in place to deal with this, don't you think?

My Computer

Keep in mind that if you are presently using drivers which will not work with SP1 then winupdate will not give you the SP1 dowload.

Interesting that one. Winupdate showed no availability of SP1 for my current installation.

I run Vista Ultimate x64 on a Dell Inspiron 530s, with ATI 256 meg x1800 Pro graphics running twin Dell 24inch flatpanels in dual head config, 4GB RAM and 2x 320 GB on SATA, using native 64bit ATI graphics drivers, native 64bit Intel chipset drivers and have a Philips pixel plus web cam on native Philips drivers, HP Photosmart 3310 all-in-one on native HP drivers, Canon ip2500 Pixima inkjet on native Canon drivers, iomega 1TB USB2 external HD and an iPod touch running through iTunes 7.6.1.9 - 64bit enabled.

I used the network installation SP1 download (all 700 odd meg :O of it) and after just under an hour, everything workds just fine! .. infact the OS now reports all 4GB memory, prior to SP1, it reported 3.25 GB.

My Computer

Thanks for the link. I have downloaded SP1 and placed it onto a CD together with the Office2007 service pack. I shall install SP1 tomorrow when I have more time. By placing it on to a CD, it means that I will be able to quickly deploy it should I reinstall Vista in the future.
Dwarf

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
If you don’t see this update in the list of available updates, you might be blocked temporarily by one of the following issues:

You are running a version of Windows Vista (or have a language pack installed) for a language other than the five available in this release: English, French, German, Spanish, and Japanese. (I ran into this issue last month, on a system that had the Italian language pack installed.) In that case, you’ll have to uninstall the language pack or wait till the full international release is available in a few months.

You might not have installed the prerequisite updates. SP1 requires updates to the so-called servicing stack (the code that handles updates) and, for Ultimate edition, for Bitlocker disk encryption. If you see other available updates, install them first and then try Windows Update again.

You might have a hardware component that is using one of a handful of drivers known to cause minor problems with SP1. The issues aren’t catastrophic, I’m told, and most experienced users can resolve the issues (changes to default settings or lost sound, for instance) quickly enough by reinstalling the problem driver. But those options aren’t acceptable for nontechnical users, so the Windows Update detection code blocks deployment of SP1 and offers fixed versions of some (but not all) of those drivers.

Source:- Want Vista SP1? Here’s what to expect | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 11 Workstation
    Manufacturer/Model
    doofenshmirtz evil incorporated
    CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB ROG Strix LC OC
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3 x27" Dell U2724D & 1 x 34" Dell U3415W
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 x4 NVMe Solid State
    Drive
    PSU
    1500W ThermalTake Toughpower
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT
    Cooling
    Enermax Liqtech 240
    Keyboard
    Surface Ergonomic.
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
    Other Info
    WinTV NovaTD
    HP CP1515n Color Laser
    Sony BD-5300S-0B Blu-ray Writer
    Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
    APC 750i Smart UPS
  • Operating System
    windows 10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    1.9GHz Intel Core i5-4300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    12" Multi Touch
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 144
    Hard Drives
    128GB
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Keyboard
    yes
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
It says to use WU for single computers. Any problem if one uses the update that is available at the Microsoft site on a single computer? My Windows Update is not picking up the SP1 update availability.
Frag

Downloading the standalone package is a better deal, because you can keep a copy of it on DVD somewhere safe, along with you original install media. That way, if you re-install Vista (for whatever reason), then you already have the SP1 available, and won't have to download it again.

If you're feeling brave, you can even read the Windows Vista Deployment Guide to find out how to integrate SP1 onto a copy of your original Vista install DVD, so that when you re-install Vista, the SP1 is installed with it. Read the TechNet article here - Windows Vista Deployment Step by Step Guide

Thanks. I went back to download and read about which drivers may stop the WU from working and found that my SigmaTel driver was listed. As soon as I upgraded the driver, WU downloaded SP1.
So I'm on SP1 now and got an upgraded audio driver in the process.
Thanks again,
Frag

My Computer

Re: SP1 Public Download Now Available - Finally!

Wild:

That may be true, but then Windows Update is "obligated" to inform you of such conflicts or incompatibilities so you can correct that condition; otherwise, how will you ever know what the problem is, so you can eventually get SP1?

There has got to be some methodology in place to deal with this, don't you think?

I was unable to get the WU to download SP1 until I upgraded my SigmaTel driver. It did not inform me of the driver problem, I just lucked onto it.
Frag

My Computer

Well I'm generally inclined towards the cynical but I have just installed Vista SP1 and have seen an immediate increase in responsiveness of my system!!!!

I am delighted.....hope it lasts...

My Computer

Went ahead and downloaded the standalone package for SP1 and installed it, in right at an hour.

The installation went off without a hitch, and I'm now back up and running, with no problems whatsoever (as is obvious from me being able to make this post).

That tends to cast doubt on the theory of Windows Update not listing SP1 because you have some sort of driver or other conflict, which I did not; it just simply didn't list SP1 as being available for downloading, for unknown reasons.

Just for grins I checked the Windows Update History, and SP1 was not listed there, so I guess that notation is only good if you get it via Windows Update.

I then ran Windows Update to see if there were any additional updates needed, and there were none available.

If Windows Update cannot (or will not) inform the user of what prerequisites must be installed or what other problems have to be fixed before SP1 will download, then Microsoft must come out with some sort of diagnostic tool which will do so.

The unsophisticated casual end-user will probably never be able to figure out what he needs to do to fix the pre-SP1-download problem(s), especially if he is never informed that they exist in the first place; it's the classic "Catch 22" situation.

How can he fix something he doesn't even know about?

Input on this one will be much appreciated, so we can assist our customers, friends, neighbors, and that greatest of all challenge, our family members; I expect the phone to start ringing early tomorrow morning with the usual cries of "Help me, help me!".

My Computer

Well it's been a long wait for some of you, but SP1 has finally been released.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that addresses feedback from our customers. In addition to previously released updates, SP1 will contain changes focused on addressing specific reliability, performance, and compatibility issues; supporting new types of hardware; and adding support for several emerging standards. SP1 also will continue to make it easier for IT administrators to deploy and manage Windows Vista. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone version can be installed on systems with any of the following language versions: English (US), French, German, Japanese, or Spanish (Traditional).

You should now be able to grab SP1 from windows update or you can download the stand alone packages from the following links.

Download: Windows Vista SP1 Five Language Standalone

32bit Package (434.5 MB) (x86)

64bit package (726.5 MB) (x64)
I wonder if it will ever be offered on a free disk for people on slow connections like XP was>

My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back