System repair and System Restore every morning.

You are very welcome. I just hope that we can get this thing fixed.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Good morning.

For the first time in two weeks I have been able to get straight to the welcome screen without doing a start up repair and system restore. The only thing I did differently yesterday was to uninstall Avast then reinstall. I am going to switch the computer off for a few hours and see what happens when I switch back on.

My Computer

Hello

I'm back to square one I'm afraid. I left the computer switched off for 4 hours and it started System Repair when I started it up. I did 3 safe mode starts and it started every time which you say is not ideal.

Thanks you

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
If it starts in safe mode it is an indication of a software problem. This is good in that it indicates software, which we can fix. Begin our tests by a clean boot and see if problem persists.

I switched off while I wrote to you on my netbook came back and switched back on and it'd started perfectly so it's started 2 out of 3 today. What do you mean by a 'clean boot' Rich?

My Computer

If it starts in safe mode it is an indication of a software problem. This is good in that it indicates software, which we can fix. Begin our tests by a clean boot and see if problem persists.
Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup - Windows 7 Forums

Hello.

When I started the computer this morning I got a blue screen with a lot of white writing on it then it switched to System Repair. I turned it off, went back after an hour and it started normally.

I have followed the instructions from your link Rich and it started normally after each stage.

My Computer

Only two comments, if it started properly, either its fixed or you did not give it enough time in each stage.
I gave you a link in my earlier post, explaining clean boot in detail and how its done.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Only two comments, if it started properly, either its fixed or you did not give it enough time in each stage.
I gave you a link in my earlier post, explaining clean boot in detail and how its done.

Rich I don't know what you mean when you say 'did not give it enough time' as I printed the instructions off and followed them to the letter, closing down and starting when prompted. The problem isn't fixed but it is erratic as sometimes I can start the computer no problem and others I can't.

I have just closed down and restarted to see what would happen and both times I got to a blue screen with 'HP Invent' and three options, 1,system restore, 2, boot up and 3, safe mode but the screen wouldn't respond to the keys so I've twice had to force a shut down. I tried starting up again in safe mode but couldn't and then got a black screen with options one of them being Start Windows Vista, normally which is what I've done.

My Computer

OK What I meant is:
If in clean boot you did not have a problem, but the problem returns when you are in normal mode it means that you did not give clean boot enough time (in each stage) to have a problem
You stated that you do not always have a problem, so when in clean boot leave it that way for sufficient boots to determine if there is a problem. If there is no problem, restore one of the removed software applications and use it long enough to be sure if it is the cause of the problem, etc, etc
Clean boot helps determine the specific cause of the problem. Use it long enough to be sure that the problem will not occur again, in each phase.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
OK What I meant is:
If in clean boot you did not have a problem, but the problem returns when you are in normal mode it means that you did not give clean boot enough time (in each stage) to have a problem
You stated that you do not always have a problem, so when in clean boot leave it that way for sufficient boots to determine if there is a problem. If there is no problem, restore one of the removed software applications and use it long enough to be sure if it is the cause of the problem, etc, etc
Clean boot helps determine the specific cause of the problem. Use it long enough to be sure that the problem will not occur again, in each phase.

Just to give you an update. I have been right through the clean boot process and disabled and enabled every programme in start up and so far so good. Today I reverted back from selective start up to normal start up and it booted up fine so hopefully whatever the problem was is resolved. Thank you very much for your help.

My Computer

I am glad that we were able to get your problem sorted. Be sure to come back at any time for further assistance or just to learn.
Rich

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Good morning

I'm sorry to have to resurrect this thread but apart from a few days last month the problem is daily again. I have installed nothing new, ran CHK Disk, Scannow, Malaware Bytes and they are all coming up as good.

Should I follow your clean start up suggestion from the beginning again? With it only happening on first boot it's very difficult to pin down as I have to wait 24 hours to see if it's resolved.

I have got a set of restore discs that I did myself which I hope are OK so should I install the system again?

Any help at all will be appreciated.

My Computer

The decision to restore is entirely yours. You will have to reinstall all of your software as well as install all updates. The restore will work unless you have a hardware problem. Be sure to back up your stuff, first.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
The decision to restore is entirely yours. You will have to reinstall all of your software as well as install all updates. The restore will work unless you have a hardware problem. Be sure to back up your stuff, first.

I don't think I would be able to do that myself Rich. This morning I was able to get staright to the welcome screen but within 5 seconds the blue screen came up with.....

P_F_N list corrupt.
0x0000004E
0x00000099
0x00031D6c
0x00031D4B

My Computer

Can you use the computer in safe mode?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
There is a lot of information in those files. MiniDmp is the most important if you had a blue screen. We can just take educated guesses, but that is really not the way to go.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays