vista disconnects from wireless

Hi all,
I just started getting the dropped connection after the MS Security update on Sept 3. Probably coincidence but.... I have a D-link router DIR-655, and an Acer Extensa laptop. I called D-link and we reset the wep (auto) to not auto. Didn't improve my situation. Ran full virus scans and nothing, one with McAfee and one from Pandascan. Two days ago I went 24 hrs or so and today almost one hour before crashing. Have to reboot every time. I get the little yellow triangle and checking the wireless lists I show limited accessibility with full transmission power and other times no signal at all. Sure would like to know what is going on. I have had this router for several months connected to my canon printer and started Comcast about two months ago. Router has been sitting above my wireless phone base the whole time and there are no apparent reasons for the signal to drop.
HELP please.
larry in MN

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Laptop Extensa 5620-6419
    CPU
    Intelcore 2 Duo Processor T5550
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelierator K3100
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up
laerickson

First thing I would do is to uninstall the update. If the problem persists I have a feeling it might be loosing dns.

You can check by running in cmd ( ipconfig /dnsflush, then ipconfig /renew. If flusing the dns fixes it there are several things we can to to make it more solid. If IPv6 is enabled in network and sharing>adapter>properties unchek it. Its not being used as routinely causes random disconnects

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the reply, however, I can't find the adapter>properties and searching my computer for the "IPv6" I only found reference to that in your emal.
Give me a big DUH.
larry

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up
L

Im not on a vista machine right now but it should look something like the enclosed picture. Not a big duh for all I know right now vista may no even have it. chrvk to see if it does.

Ken

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 383

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
HI Ken,

Found it and unchecked it. Now to wait and see what happens.

I'll follow up later.
larr

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up
Good luck and keep us aprised

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up

Ken

Thank you - thank you - thank you.
I followed your instructions, and have now been online for about 6 hours without a disconnect.

I'm not 100% convinced yet, but this is the longest time I have gone in months without this damn problem. You are restoring my faith in human nature!

Lloyd

My Computer

Hi Ken,

I'm still on line. I also turned off the wireless sleep option in my Acer power saver and set my old dial up time out disconnect time to 24 hours. I will wait on this before also uninstalling that MS Security update.

thanks,

larry

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up
two work arounds

1- disable IPv6 in network and sharing

2-next time it happens dont reset type cmd in search then ipconfig /flushdns , wait 30 seconds type ipconfig /renew

If it works there is a cureHope this helps and let us know if you need help with any of this

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up

Ken

I followed your instructions, and have now been online for about 6 hours without a disconnect.

I'm not 100% convinced yet, but this is the longest time I have gone in months without this damn problem. You are restoring my faith in human nature!

Lloyd

Im glad you are working. as preventative measures it occasionaly helps if you run in search type cmd, then ipconfig /flushdns, wait 30 secs, then type ipconfig /renew

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Hi Ken,

I'm still on line. I also turned off the wireless sleep option in my Acer power saver and set my old dial up time out disconnect time to 24 hours. I will wait on this before also uninstalling that MS Security update.

thanks,

larry

Larry

If that ever acts up again PM me. I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Glad you are working so far

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up

Ken

Lloyd

Im glad you are working. as preventative measures it occasionaly helps if you run in search type cmd, then ipconfig /flushdns, wait 30 secs, then type ipconfig /renew

Ken

Hi Ken

I thought I knew how to do this. When following your instructions above, I'm told I do not have the privileges to do it. Do you happen to know what to type to get administrative privilege after invoking the command prompt?

My Computer

Lloyd

Ken

Hi Ken

I thought I knew how to do this. When following your instructions above, I'm told I do not have the privileges to do it. Do you happen to know what to type to get administrative privilege after invoking the command prompt?

Hello again Ken

Disregard that last post. In doing a search, I found the answer. In fact, it gives me a shortcut to an elevated command prompt. (A good thing to have)

Thanks again for your help with this. I currently have 2 copies of WINDOWS 7 upgrade DVDs on order. I hope that soon all the problems will be solved with that. But, then again, it may open up a whole batch of new issues to resolve. ha ha

Lloyd

My Computer

lloyd

hold on to your vista drivers. If your going vista 32 to win 7 32 the drivers will work in a pinch

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
lloyd

hold on to your vista drivers. If your going vista 32 to win 7 32 the drivers will work in a pinch

Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I will be going from VISTA 32 to WINDOWS 7 32, in both my laptop, and my desktop. (Laptop first, in case there is a problem, but I don't anticipate any, after the up front research I've done)

I got in on that deal that MICROSOFT offered a few months ago. For a short time they allowed preorders of the upgrade for only $49.95. I jumped on that one, and ordered 2.

My Computer

Hi Ken

I guess I spoke too soon.

Now the VISTA disconnects are happening as before. You know what, I pulled out my old XP DELL laptop, (same wireless connection as my "Top of the line Alienware laptop", and the dell keeps on ticking without a sign of disconnect!

I am really starting to think that this is not fixable. I contacted Alienware support. They are in the same bind with complaints. They asked me to help them find a solution. What the hell is it with VISTA?

Could this have to do with IE8, and VISTA? Too much security or what?

When not at my desktop, I will now be using this old INSPARIAN laptop. At least I can stay on line.

I sure hope WINDOWS 7 fixes this once and for all!

Lloyd

My Computer

HI Ken,

I'm still running without the wireless dropout. Been about a week now I guess.
I just did step one below. Haven't tried step two.
Don't know, of course, the effect the other things I did on previous posts.
Not sure I understand exactly what you are saying in two below.
Search for ipconfig/flushdns in cmd then type ipconfig/new????

two work arounds

1- disable IPv6 in network and sharing

2-next time it happens dont reset type cmd in search then ipconfig /flushdns , wait 30 seconds type ipconfig /renew

If it works there is a cureHope this helps and let us know if you need help with any of this

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up
L

1-the IPv6 seems to fix alot of the random drop outs.

2-the ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /renew just clears out the dns cache and renews your IP. You dont need to do them unless you are still having problems. Its just a tool you can use to see if a problem is DNS related shoul that ever pop up in the future.

In terms of how you would flush if you wanted to is go to start then search in search you would type cmd (for command window) then in that window you would type the ipconfig /flushdns, then ipconfig /renew.

Hope this helps

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
UPDATE: I am convinced that no one who has this problem ever really fixed it. It creeps up on you after a few months, and then happens more and more frequently. I have been through all the forums on this. Those who do not have the problem are only guessing as to it's cause. MICROSOFT has never really addressed the issue.

After suffering for months, I just gave up, and am awaiting my pre order of 2 WINDOWS 7 DVDs. I am hoping the problem will then just go away.

For now, I set aside my top of the line Alienware laptop, and went back to my old DELL XP laptop. XP DOES NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. IT NEVER DISCONNECTS.

I am convinced of the following:

1. This is not a router issue. (Firmware or hardware)
2. This is not a computer hardware issue.
3. This is not a wireless adapter issue. (Hardware or driver related)
4. THIS IS A VISTA ISSUE.

My Alienware laptop is not old, and after searching, I discovered that I already had the latest wireless drivers. My router is a relatively new Belkin n type, recommended by DELL for it's VISTA compliance.

Note that for the first several months of using the new laptop, I never had a drop out. This is a problem that crept in over time, as it has with thousands of others out there. (Based on the forums I've searched.) This is only a wireless VISTA issue. My hardwired VISTA desktop has NEVER dropped out, nor has my OLD wireless DELL XP laptop.

On another note, I had the same problem with my MEDIA CENTER EXTENDER, connected to my TV. When using it wirelessly, I would constantly have to reset the router. It became unusable. Once I hard wired it to the router, there was NEVER 1 DROP OUT.

I’m starting to think that some WINDOWS UPDATE, (security related), may have caused this.

VISTA & wireless - Not perfect together.

Let’s hope 7 solves it!

Lloyd

My Computer

Back