vista disconnects from wireless

Just spent some time with HP support on this, I have has same problem for MONTHS.
We ended up uninstalling a windows update KB963027 and setting windows update to not automatically update, reboot and reconnect to network. Problem fixed.

My Computer

Just spent some time with HP support on this, I have has same problem for MONTHS.
We ended up uninstalling a windows update KB963027 and setting windows update to not automatically update, reboot and reconnect to network. Problem fixed.

If that update is uninstalled, will it later automatically reinstall, if WINDOWS is set to automatic updates?

My Computer

I had that problem with a Linksys Router and Westell 6100 modem, after Verizon nonsense, i switched to a direct USB connection with the Westell 6100 modem and am no longer wireless and Now I drop constanly like ever 20 minutes and sometimes less. I get a warning on the network that says limited or no connectivity before it drops completely then it can't find the network. If I reboot the computer it will work. Note the modem lights don't change so it's some type of Vista issue or files. My drivers and firmware are all up to date. I did a test of the router and the only issues was Upnup (something like that) which I don't think mattered.

So why is this issue all of a sudden arising?

My Computer

This worked finally for me.
1. cancelled all power save options
2. right click the network connection
3. choose connect to a network - note it didn't find mine
4. Choose Diagnose why windows cannot finda any addtl. networks

I did option 4 twice (till it didn't give me any messages). And just using diagnose on the left click or on the left hand side didn't work.

My Computer

Greetings,

I'm trying to find my post where you gave me instructions to disable IPv6. Could you please repost them. I have a friend who's connection is in and out like a jack in the box.
Thanks, Larr in MN

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Laptop Extensa 5620-6419
    CPU
    Intelcore 2 Duo Processor T5550
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelierator K3100
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
Hello all,

Ive been having this problem for a few months now after my laptop got restored by a "tech" who had no idea what he was doing.

When I first got the laptop, I fixed the problem by searching online and never had a wireless connection dropped again but after this reset, the problem is back w/ a vengeance and i simply cant remember what i did to fix it the first time around

i disabled the IPV6, which most people say does the trick

I also tried to update the router firmware, but the netgear website doesnt have anything for this:

My Computer

This worked finally for me.
1. cancelled all power save options
2. right click the network connection
3. choose connect to a network - note it didn't find mine
4. Choose Diagnose why windows cannot finda any addtl. networks

I did option 4 twice (till it didn't give me any messages). And just using diagnose on the left click or on the left hand side didn't work.

power save? Like energy settings??

Diagnostic doesnt do anything......

I am so lost, there are answers here but nothing concrete

My Computer

Just tried to reset the IP ((( dnsflush renew ip)))))

Error as follows:

"Unable to connect DHCP server
Request timed out
No operation can be performed On LAN 2 w/ media disconnected"

Any ideas??? thanks in advance guys

My Computer

I had the problem with VISTA, and then still had the disconnect problem after upgrading to WINDOWS 7.

At this point I started looking outside of the box. I upgraded my router, from a Belkin N1 wireless router, to a D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N wireless router.

Since then I have NEVER had even 1 disconnect. This conclusively solved the problem for me.

My Computer

Sorry man, no other ideas. The new D-link router fixed it for me.

I had been working on this problem for about 6 months, before making the router switch. Since the switch, all is well.

Note:
After installing the new router, I did add WPA2 security also. It was always an open to anyone network before that. (I don't think that was the fix though. I'm sure it was the new router)

My Computer

Greetings all who suffer from the Vista Wireless dropout problem.
I've done most every fix I could find on line and though the IPv6 box being unchecked was the answer as after I did that everything was fine for several months, then a couple of days ago it was back with a vengence and nothing was working. It seems everytime I get an update from MS for my Vista system something goes haywire. I lose my contact list and have to reboot.

But, for dropouts, I tried a "reset to default" on the power saver settings and so far I'm up and running for over 24 hours. Can it really be that simple? Never could figure out what setting to use per on line suggestions on my Acer machine.
After all this it does seem to be the power save setting some how shuts off the wireless driver even if you are actively using your computer.

Any other comments??? Pass the word it this helps you.
larry in MN.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up
Greetings all who suffer from the Vista Wireless dropout problem.
I've done most every fix I could find on line and though the IPv6 box being unchecked was the answer as after I did that everything was fine for several months, then a couple of days ago it was back with a vengence and nothing was working. It seems everytime I get an update from MS for my Vista system something goes haywire. I lose my contact list and have to reboot.

But, for dropouts, I tried a "reset to default" on the power saver settings and so far I'm up and running for over 24 hours. Can it really be that simple? Never could figure out what setting to use per on line suggestions on my Acer machine.
After all this it does seem to be the power save setting some how shuts off the wireless driver even if you are actively using your computer.

Any other comments??? Pass the word it this helps you.
larry in MN.

Hey man,

I tried all the power settings, but never back to default.

Great you solved it. Whatever works. I have been online for more than 3 weeks now with my fix:

I had the problem with VISTA, and then still had the disconnect problem after upgrading to WINDOWS 7.

At this point I started looking outside of the box. I upgraded my router, from a Belkin N1 wireless router, to a D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N wireless router.

Since then I have NEVER had even 1 disconnect. This conclusively solved the problem for me.

I also set up WPA2-Personal encryption security, but I don't think that is what did it.

In all this time, I NEVER EVEN ONCE had to reset my new router. It's still plugged in, and I'm still connected.

Good luck, I hope you stay connected. (It was a damn frustrating problem for me!)

All is good now.

My Computer

HI, I've been on the D-link router for a year and thought that was the problem and was on the phone with those guys to "fix" what wasn't their issue. I think I have the same router you mentioned, the one with the three antenni. I then found the IPv6 uncheck option which seemed to work for a long time. Then a couple of days ago I added a line to my registar someone suggested but that didn't work either. I'm now convinced it's Vista/and the power save settings. Still on line for over 30 hours now.
regards,
larry

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up
I guess there is more than one cause of this annoying problem.

You are right, it is the router with the three antenni. (It is a great router)

As long as you're still up and running, that is what counts.

Good luck.

My Computer

Followup to my previous solutions. After all the tips I've tried to stop the drop outs the only one that now seems to keep me on line is setting my computer to full power mode. NO powersave settings seems to keep me on line. Some solutions mention to uncheck the power off setting for the wireless connection but I'm unable to find such a setting on my Acer system. And even though I have set up my "special" power setting something resets me to power save settings. I'm assuming it happens when I unplug my charge cord. Microsoft updates that requre restarting my computer also seem to cause bugs. I lose my link to my MS Mail contacts and have to reboot again to get them back.
Sooo frustrating.
larry

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    DVD Super Multi DL
    Internet Speed
    Dial Up
If I were you, I would seriously consider an upgrade to WINDOWS 7. No guarantee that your problem will be solved, but it is a better OS.

I know how that disconnect thing sucks.

Do you have security enabled? I use WPA2. The network may be more forgiving with enabled security. (As much as I don't like security.)

My Computer

If you could connect to the internet and suddenly your computer got "media disconnected", I could suggest that you turn off your router for about 5 minutes and turn it back on. Simply unplug the power cable and wait for 5 minutes then plug it back on.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
When I had the problem with my old BELKIN router, unpluging, then restarting it, only solved the problem for a short period of time.

The new D-LINK router that I mentioned above, was the real fix for me. Sorry the new router thing doesn't solve the problem for everyone.

My Computer

Back