Vista Network Speed Slows over time

I noticed the corresponding increase in latency ( ping ) time to the degraded speeds as well.

I will try perform this. What is confusing me is that their are 3 XP machines in the network without this problem being served by the same ISP through my router (?). Unless the ISP network is treating the Vista machine differently.

The IP V6 "angle" also intrigues me -- maybe a compatibility issue with my router or how it functions within Vista ?

IM thinking IPv6. its been shown to cause random drops, slow downs, and is just a headache. It only used if you using homegroup instead of a workgroup.

You should try disabling IPv6 first

Ken

How do I go about doing this -- by removing it from the network adapter protocols in use ? Or is their another method to make sure IP V6 is disabled ?

Im not on a vista machine so this is going to be from memory. its in system control panel so start>control panel>system control panel>change adapter settings>right click adapter and go to properties> uncheck IPv6.

See the enclosed pic

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 26

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
IM thinking IPv6. its been shown to cause random drops, slow downs, and is just a headache. It only used if you using homegroup instead of a workgroup.

You should try disabling IPv6 first

Ken

How do I go about doing this -- by removing it from the network adapter protocols in use ? Or is their another method to make sure IP V6 is disabled ?

Im not on a vista machine so this is going to be from memory. its in system control panel so start>control panel>system control panel>change adapter settings>right click adapter and go to properties> uncheck IPv6.

See the enclosed pic

Thats what I thought -- this has been done. Running the Trace Route and not seeing any real pattern(s) to a slow server on any of the "hops" and it keeps saying "FAILED" for msn.com. NOt sure what that means

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
    Network Adapter - Marvell Yukon 88E8071 10.64.10.3
94P

If it fails to a domain like msn.com then there has to be a DNS problem. If you were to run a traceroute to msn.com's real IP it probably would succeed. DNS problems reflect themselves in slow time finding sites, and they have to find them every time you go back for a page refresh or download.

If you do a reboot and then a traceroute to msn.com and it works it means at that time you have dns. when you lose dns the pings go up (it has to resovle msn.com to its real IP) and downloads go down.

try the re-boot and see if this premise works

Ken

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
94P

If it fails to a domain like msn.com then there has to be a DHCP problem. If you were to run a traceroute to msn.com's real IP it probably would succeed. DHCP problems reflect themselves in slow time finding sites, and they have to find them every time you go back for a page refresh or download.

If you do a reboot and then a traceroute to msn.com and it works it means at that time you have dhcp. when you lose dhcp the pings go up (it has to resovle msn.com to its real IP) and downloads go down.

Ken

If he couldn't ping msn.com but he can ping 207.68.172.246 then it would be a DNS issue, correct?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intergrated Intel Graphics
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    It's special, it flips open :)
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Down: 16mb/s Up: 1.6mb/s
    Other Info
    I killed my HP Laptop :'(
Correct, My Bad let me go correct that

DNS=domain name server

DHCP=dynamic Host Configuration Proticol

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
I don't have DHCP server enabled on my router. Could that be causing it? I don't know much about what it does, but even if it was disabled his machines should still be assigned an IP without an issue.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
94P

If it fails to a domain like msn.com then there has to be a DNS problem. If you were to run a traceroute to msn.com's real IP it probably would succeed. DNS problems reflect themselves in slow time finding sites, and they have to find them every time you go back for a page refresh or download.

If you do a reboot and then a traceroute to msn.com and it works it means at that time you have dns. when you lose dns the pings go up (it has to resovle msn.com to its real IP) and downloads go down.

Ken

The reboot did not help the msn.com failure --- google worked fine -- here are the results :
View attachment TraceRoute - www.google.pdf
View attachment TraceRoute - www.msn.pdf

BTW after the reboot net bandwidth measured at 15+ mbps -- I have uncjecked IP V6 and updated Linksys WRT54GS router firmware as well ...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
94P

Ken

The reboot did not help the msn.com failure --- google worked fine -- here are the results :
View attachment 16352
View attachment 16353

BTW after the reboot net bandwidth measured at 15+ mbps -- I have uncjecked IP V6 and updated Linksys WRT54GS router firmware as well ...

these might just reflect that MSN is exceptionally busy (maybe because of win 7 release).

So the reboot helps the download speed but not getting to msn. I need to think about this for a bit. Im subscribed to this thread so anytime someone posts I get an e-mail.

Who is your ISP

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
94P

Ken

View attachment 16352
View attachment 16353

these might just reflect that MSN is exceptionally busy (maybe because of win 7 release).

So the reboot helps the download speed but not getting to msn. I need to think about this for a bit. Im subscribed to this thread so anytime someone posts I get an e-mail.

Who is your ISP

ISP is COMCAST -- I pay for 30 mbs service ( ven though I know I will never reach that ... )

I will be monitoring the bandwidth speed for the next 24 hrs and see if the degradation re-occurs or ( hopefully ) disappears !

Thanks again for all your help. ....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
No salt !

Problem still there ... from reboot @ 15+ mbs to 3.46 mps -- and this is at midnite !

Speed Test 10-09.JPG

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
No salt !

Problem still there ... from reboot @ 15+ mbs to 3.46 mps -- and this is at midnite !

View attachment 16367

That is so odd that the upload speed is 2x the speed than the download.

Crap, I had a site bookmarked on my old laptop and I can't find the site from google now. But this site had a bunch of free lan / wlan traffic monitors. I was going to suggest one to see whats causing it.

You also stated that only the Vista machine does this?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
No salt !

View attachment 16367

That is so odd that the upload speed is 2x the speed than the download.

Crap, I had a site bookmarked on my old laptop and I can't find the site from google now. But this site had a bunch of free lan / wlan traffic monitors. I was going to suggest one to see whats causing it.

You also stated that only the Vista machine does this?

I have downloaded these monitors but all they do is tell you what the speed is not WHY the speed is dropping ....

That is correct -- only the Vista machine has this problem.
My XP machines perform for weeks with out reboot --

I had read that MS rewrote the networking software for Vista -- I was never strong in this area anyway so now I am lost and looking for an expert to solve -- have you ever looked through all the paramaters that go with the netsh command or options available with your network adapter driver --- DAUNTING ! :confused:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
Are there any software changes from the XP machines to the Vista?

Is your setup Modem > Router > Machine? Or are you using a switch and a router?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Are there any software changes from the XP machines to the Vista?

Is your setup Modem > Router > Machine? Or are you using a switch and a router?
Without trying to sound sarcastic, the obvious software change is Vista v XP -- the XP and Vista machines all basically run the same software add ons with exception of Zonelalarm vs Symantec firewall.

So the home network looks like Cable modem ==> Linksys WRT54GS router with three wireless connections ( all XP ), one hard wire connection to the Vista machine, one hard wire connection to my son's X-Box 360. This problem existed before the X-Box was added to the network and as I say the XP machines have no degradation in bandwidth like the Vista machine.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
So the problem continues -- I was encouraged by the suggestions I was receiving, and subsequent upgrades to router firmware and network adapter --- thought i was getting to end of job on this problem but still no "luck" ...

I am going to try resetting my TCP/IP to the defaults per this URL :
Reinstall and Reset TCP/IP (Internet Protocol) in Windows Vista, 2003 and XP » My Digital Life

Any other suggestions are appreciated -- please ?

UPDATE ! -- reset the defaults and so far today its working ! Update tomorrow ...

Oct 14 SPEED good.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
Resetting TCP/IP did not work.

I am trying a different tactic -- bought a Lnksys Wireless G PCI card ( $ 20 on Amazon ) , installed it on the Vista machine, and currently monitoring bandwidth over next couple days.

This will identify if its Vista or the network card.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
94porkr,

I have the same exact problem as you. I found this thread by searching the problem on Google. Instead of rebooting the system, I usually just disable/re-enable my NIC (using a built-in wireless-G NIC) in my Network Connections window and performance will return for a little while. Then it will degrade again. I've installed all the latest Windows patches (including SP2), but nothing has worked.

I think there must be something like a memory leak (not memory in this case, but something to do with TCP sessions/etc) that is causing this.

Let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same!

Thanks,
beatbox32

My Computer

94porkr,

I have the same exact problem as you. I found this thread by searching the problem on Google. Instead of rebooting the system, I usually just disable/re-enable my NIC (using a built-in wireless-G NIC) in my Network Connections window and performance will return for a little while. Then it will degrade again. I've installed all the latest Windows patches (including SP2), but nothing has worked.

I think there must be something like a memory leak (not memory in this case, but something to do with TCP sessions/etc) that is causing this.

Let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same!

Thanks,
beatbox32

disabling an reenabling my NIC card did not help -- only the reboot of Vista worked.

What network card are you using ? My machine has the Marvell Yukon integrated GB ethernet adapter --- make sure you have the latest drivers on yours. Go to the manufacturer's web site to find it.

I recently disabled the Marvell Yukon, and installed a Linksys wireless adapter ( WMP54GS ) just to see if it was the adapter or Vista. I have been monitoring for a couple days now but too early to tell if its Vista or the NIC which is the problem.

Kind of nice to know i am not the only one with the problem although sorry to hear you have the issue as well :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
still haven't resolved this I see.

Keep us posted :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
That is correct -- the problem is still there. I have decided it is VISTA. New network card and same issue persists.

Only fix I have now is Windows ( cha ching for $ 150 family pack ) plus more storage ( $ 100 for 500GB external drive -- cha ching ) + my time ( cha ching again ) ! :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovoa 9120-CTO
    CPU
    AMD Sempron 3600 2.o Ghz
    Memory
    2GB
    Other Info
Back